Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Are we a nation full of bandwagoners?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2005, 09:18 PM
HkTypeR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are we a nation full of bandwagoners?

the above, its all well and good now that england have won the ashes now, but what happens when the media hype dies down??? not exactly the best time to be getting into cricket leading into winter soon is it now. Well as the title suggests are we now a nation obsessed with success and glory when they win, but turn the other way when they lose or the media isn't hyping them up as much, seen it happen with Tennis (andrew murray and tim henman), rugby (england winning the rugby world cup) and now the cricket to add, sure there's some others but won't list them down.

Personally i dont care about the media hype in a sport, i either like it or not and follow or not, media hype of them winning something big won't swing me either way, i just think that its not fair kind of shadowing peoples success with the false pretense that people are actually supporting them as genuine supporters and followers!
Old 13 September 2005, 10:20 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

1st test in pakistan is 15th November.

If it brings kids into sport ( as the RWC did ) then that's great news. Problem is that the last 2 governments have allowed playing fields to be sold off left right and centre and the ambulance chasers have scared off schools from playing anything competitive.

I have followed english cricket since my early teens - 20 years . Football is a sideline and tbh I am becoming less and less interested as time goes on. The meeja will have forgotten about anything but football by the end of the week.
Old 14 September 2005, 07:58 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Those that love their Cricket and weren't on the bandwagon will continue to support it and get great enjoyment from it, hopefully some of those on the bandwagon wont get off but as is with these things most will be off at the 1st stop, just like the RUWC in 2003, which is fine with me because it's becoming a little tiring listening to all these new experts. I wonder how many will be listening on the net at work or watching at home/pub come November 15th ??? if they do stay great. all the better for the English game IMO.
Old 14 September 2005, 08:52 AM
DPat
Scooby Regular

My ?mate? rang me up Monday afternoon babbling on about it [cricket], I asked him when was the last time he'd been and seen a game at any county ground - end of conversation!
Old 14 September 2005, 09:24 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Definate bunch of bandwagon jumpers... A sport that normally only attracts fat people, old people and teachers suddenly adorned by the country... To be honest the media generated this hysteria... Taking over back pages despite being watched by less every week than countless other sports...Masking Svens errors last week etc... If the media had given the sport its regular place in their reports (between horse racing and snooker) maybe the nation wouldnt have gone so mental for a week or so...
Old 14 September 2005, 10:15 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Not watched the cricket and couldnt give a rats a$$ if we won or lost, we won and Im pleased for the team and the country but Ive not celebrated it, didnt watch it etc.... So answer is no...

But in general most are yes. its an excuse to go on the pi55 IMO... alot of my friends no nowt about football, dont support a club team but when England play they use it as an excuses (as if 1 needs an excuse anyhow ) to go to the pub and get wasted. Same with the rugby, personally I watched the final out of interest. Didnt jump up and down when we won. if we'd lost I would have just turned the telly off and gone and made breakfast.... every bugger else went on the pi55 to celebrate??? I got in the car and went to watch Chesterfield v Oldham...lol

Personally I'll let them get on with it. doesnt interest me in the slightest to be honest
Old 14 September 2005, 11:43 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DPat
My ?mate? rang me up Monday afternoon babbling on about it [cricket], I asked him when was the last time he'd been and seen a game at any county ground - end of conversation!
You might have tried inviting him along to a game after all you (Hampshire) have probably the best bowler int he world at the moment.

Trending Topics

Old 14 September 2005, 02:05 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Milamber
You might have tried inviting him along to a game after all you (Hampshire) have probably the best bowler int he world at the moment.
They could have done with him last night LOL
Old 14 September 2005, 02:50 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
They could have done with him last night LOL

He probably wasn't in the best of moods.
Old 14 September 2005, 09:03 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO I think that when people see our national teams succeeding where others have failed that a lot of people are compelled to start jumping aboard the following bandwagon. I think it's just a fact of life that people are always in search of success stories in sport, so when it's us that are successful the hordes will come out of the woodwork ranting and raving about how great it is.

Personally, I don't like cricket, rugby or tennis, but I find it pleasing when we actually win something, but not to the point where I'll actually try and pretend I know whats going on.

Anyway, being a Newcastle Utd supporter since I was about 4-5 yrs old I'm pretty used to dissapointment.

To finish my 2p's worth, if winning the ashes or any other sporting contest cheers the nation, then it can't really be a bad thing, considering all the **** we have to put up with on a daily basis.

Michael
Old 15 September 2005, 11:45 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

I've spent most of life being bored to tears by cricket, but in the last couple I have started to take notice more, a little one day here, a little 20-20 there, some stadium cricket and now the ashes.

To say we jump on the band wagons too easily is a little unfair, but probably has some truth to it if we're honest. That doesn't mean it has to be a bad thing though.

I also don't think it's fair to criticise someone for never going to see it live ... I watched England vs Scotland at Murrayfield a while back ... not the greatest game England have played, but the atmosphere was awesome, the experience was amazing. Would I still prefer to watch most games on TV? You bet - couldn't see a damn thing, no replays, no reflink etc etc, and it's the same for a lot of sports.

Anyway, I enjoyed jumping on this bandwagon, and I am on the look out for an England Cricket Polo shirt if anyone knows where I can buy one

- Jon
Old 16 September 2005, 03:06 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_dood
Anyway, I enjoyed jumping on this bandwagon, and I am on the look out for an England Cricket Polo shirt if anyone knows where I can buy one

- Jon
The test shirt ?

http://www.ecb.co.uk/shop/test-gear/...t/product.html

or Polo Shirt ?

http://www.ecb.co.uk/shop/leisure/lw...t/product.html
Old 16 September 2005, 04:47 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Asda are selling the test and one day shirts for £30 each.

Thanks, Nick.