Sport General sport discussion

Leeds Knuckle Draggers

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2005, 10:12 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leeds Knuckle Draggers

A nice well respected one mins silence there.............you should be proud of yourself.
Old 27 November 2005, 10:28 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Just saw it on MOTD
Old 27 November 2005, 11:38 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Saw that this morning on the championship. Disgusting.
Old 27 November 2005, 12:08 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Liverpool fans jeered too.

Refs were given instructions to stop the minutes silence if fans failed to respect it. Sad really.
Old 27 November 2005, 02:31 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Sad to hear that some fans couldn't respect a legend
Old 27 November 2005, 02:48 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you expect from the Sheep ******** and dippers especially the dippers, brain dead ***** only think of themselves. Fair play to ciddy you could have joined in but choose not too.

I thought the Portsmouth, Celtic and Wolves tributes were superb, I'm sure he would have prefered the celebration of his life, very nice and very touching to see.

Yorkie moment - my missus last night "I'm sure the same will happen one day when Beckham dies" not even close love....
Old 27 November 2005, 03:28 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

Refs were given instructions to stop the minutes silence if fans failed to respect it. Sad really.
Didn't the ref at the Man city v Liverpool game stop the minutes silence after 15 seconds ??

Pleased to say the 5400 spurs fans at Wigan obsereved it perfectly
As did the Wigan fans.
Old 28 November 2005, 01:03 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by davyboy

I was there in the away end, and contrary to reports in the press, it was a very small minority of both Liverpool & City fans who jeered, the rest of us paid our respects

But to be honest it wasn't as widespread in our end as I expected it to be, football fans have long memories when they want to and Old Trafford wasn't exactly silent the weekend after Bob Paisley died Or Jock Stein for that matter
Old 28 November 2005, 01:24 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
But to be honest it wasn't as widespread in our end as I expected it to be, football fans have long memories when they want to and Old Trafford wasn't exactly silent the weekend after Bob Paisley died Or Jock Stein for that matter
Totally agree with your point there, when Bill Nicholson passed away last year ( Most successful Spurs manager and Club president for anyone who doesn't know )
The minutes silence was only held at WHL as he was a Legend to us, he didn't get a minutes silence from every team. And I didn't expect every club to pay there respects as he didn't mean a lot to other clubs, fans etc...

to be honest I don't see why Best got a minutes silence at every game, It didn't happen to the guy from Fulham who died in the car crash a short while back ( Sorry can't recall his name ).
As I said before I remained silent for the minute but didn't agree with it. Should have only been at Man U and Fulham IMO.
Old 28 November 2005, 03:11 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day we watch / play football for the love of the game. Best was a joy to watch, irrelavant of which team you support. Can't see any harm in respecting another team's hero.
Old 28 November 2005, 03:49 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
to be honest I don't see why Best got a minutes silence at every game, It didn't happen to the guy from Fulham who died in the car crash a short while back ( Sorry can't recall his name ).
LOL you cant remember the guy from fulham who died in the car crash a short while back tells you exactly why he didnt get the minutes silence everywhere and why Best did, does it not?
Old 28 November 2005, 04:25 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by sonu
At the end of the day we watch / play football for the love of the game. Best was a joy to watch, irrelavant of which team you support. Can't see any harm in respecting another team's hero.
But is the reason Best is still so (in)famous after all this time more to do with the gutter press being obsessed with his private life, than his ability on a football pitch?
Old 28 November 2005, 04:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Bit of both, in the footballing community he would have always been remembered, obviously on the wider scale of things the general population will remember him for his off the field activities
Old 28 November 2005, 06:21 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by davegtt
LOL you cant remember the guy from fulham who died in the car crash a short while back tells you exactly why he didnt get the minutes silence everywhere and why Best did, does it not?
Agreed, but in his time wasn't the guy from Fulham the first £100 a week player ??
Famous in his time for his skills on the pitch, Just like Best.
As other posts have said if it wasn't for Best's antics and lifestyle after his football career would he have got the treatment he got this weekend ??
Or would he have only been remembered at Old Trafford and Craven Cottage ??
Old 28 November 2005, 06:59 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Dont be silly, when I was a boy, niether a Utd or Fulham follower he was regarded by my elders (again who dont follow either teams) as the best ever player and thats where I've grown up knowing him, not from what he did off the pitch....
Old 28 November 2005, 07:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
What do you expect from the Sheep ******** and dippers especially the dippers, brain dead ***** only think of themselves. Fair play to ciddy you could have joined in but choose not too.

I thought the Portsmouth, Celtic and Wolves tributes were superb, I'm sure he would have prefered the celebration of his life, very nice and very touching to see.

Yorkie moment - my missus last night "I'm sure the same will happen one day when Beckham dies" not even close love....
I was at Pompey and we did our bit. We went for the applauding approach. Its much better, stops you hearing the usual plebs who jear etc, although I dont think it would have happened there anyway.

Mind you we were pretty hostile towards Joe Cole for most of the game, but thats another story

Off to Man U next weekend ....... should be entertaining.

gary