Notices
Sport General sport discussion

World Cup woe :(

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2006, 11:03 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Cup woe :(

Having watched England in their first match yesterday, all I can say is we haven't a hope of doing well this time around. They should have ditched Eriksson ages ago and replaced him with a proper manager, and I don't mean McLaren.

Everyone seems to be saying we're happy with 3 points, but they way they passed and gave possession away was awful. What was Eriksson thinking with his subs as well? Mindless. I have never watched a match when the subs he has made swung the game in his favour. Compare the subs T&T made and you see a manager who know how the game works and how to drill players.

The second half was abismal and I fear that the best players haven't been picked for the squad. Any injuries to the main players, especially the strikers, can only encourage opposing sides. Favouring Walcott over Defoe I fear will come back and haunt him.

I might even be joining the sweaties and supporting T&T, at least their matches are worth watching
Old 11 June 2006, 11:12 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

You won't be missed if you do.

No doubt you'll be on here going on about how you always knew we could do it when we win our next game.

Stop listening to the pundits and enjoy yourself!
Old 11 June 2006, 11:15 AM
pauly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I might even be joining the sweaties and supporting T&T, at least their matches are worth watching
crack on then.

what did you expect?
ffs we got 3 points from the game without playing well.
some people are never happy
Old 11 June 2006, 11:21 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

We've come through a tricky looking game with 3 points, no injuries and only needing a win against T&T to qualify.

How many people would have taken that before the game?

Too many whinging armchair pundits these days, just go around quoting Alan Hansen and trying to be wise.
Old 11 June 2006, 11:27 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

We've come through a tricky looking game with 3 points, no injuries and only needing a win against T&T to qualify.
Agreed. Let's just move on and look forward to Thursday.
Old 11 June 2006, 11:33 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Please do.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the heat they were playing in yesterday (to be fair, it sounds as if you know very little), but the team, as a whole, drank 70 litres of fluid during the match - the average is 25.

Some players lost as much as 5lbs, during their "abysmal" performance.

If you're going to moan after gaining three points in soaring heat, against a team who predominantly do well in World Cup finals, we don't want your support - pathetic.
Old 11 June 2006, 12:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I think England did the job ...... 3 points in a vital game.

Now, a win against T&T - great entertainers they are! - will mean a nice run around for the England B side with Rooney and Walcot and Carrick and Gallagher et all against Sweden ................... the A team can rest for their demolition of Ecuador!!

We are in a superb postion ...... STOP MOANING!!

Pete
Old 11 June 2006, 12:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If they play like they did in the first half, we'll go a long way. Yes, the second half wasn't as good but we won FFS!
Old 11 June 2006, 12:59 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by pauly
what did you expect?
ffs we got 3 points from the game without playing well.
some people are never happy
Thats not really the point is it. Fair enough we got 3 points, but we should be trying a lot harder than this. We got the points but we didn't win.
Old 11 June 2006, 01:33 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Gallagher
Who?

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Thats not really the point is it. Fair enough we got 3 points, but we should be trying a lot harder than this. We got the points but we didn't win.
What?

As I've said, we played in soaring heat yet still came away with the win and the points.

Good to see so many 'real' England fans here.
Old 11 June 2006, 02:32 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should take the rose tinted glasses off and see that our teams don't play their best all the time? Yes we won, but we need to play a hell of a lot better to procede.

Real England fan? Its the real England fans that can admit when their team didn't play well. Or are you just purely interested in figures?
Old 11 June 2006, 02:33 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-STAR
As I've said, we played in soaring heat yet still came away with the win and the points.

Good to see so many 'real' England fans here.
And good to see so many apathetic fans always making excuses for England, while any real fans would be genuinely angry at England performances when it matters and demanding changes.

The attitude should be that England should be the best, better than Brazil, always winning tournaments etc and anything less is totally unacceptable.
Old 11 June 2006, 02:34 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Exactly.
Old 11 June 2006, 03:17 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
And good to see so many apathetic fans always making excuses for England, while any real fans would be genuinely angry at England performances when it matters and demanding changes.

The attitude should be that England should be the best, better than Brazil, always winning tournaments etc and anything less is totally unacceptable.
I'm not making excuses, I just feel it's pathetic to declare support for Trinidad & Tobago after one poor half.

Also, I'm not saying, for one second, that the performance was good enough in the second half yesterday to win us the World Cup, but at least give them a chance, they did come out with three points, after all - wait to see how we play in cooler conditions before writing us off.
Old 11 June 2006, 06:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We got the points but we didn't win.
WTF kind of logic is THAT??

No-one EVER remembers the losers, if if they won (in your logic), we have no time for losers ...........

If England played solid and won every match 1-0 then they would lift the World Cup in 2006 ..................... pretty good for a team who, in your twisted mind, didn't win a game

History will simply show:-

England - 2006 World Cup Winners

Scotland - cried and cried and cried

Pete
Old 11 June 2006, 06:47 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

trying a lot harder?
one thing you can't say about our performance is that we didn't try hard.
didn't play well, fair enough, but that happens sometimes.
we are going to need to play better to win the cup, of course we are. but i'd be happy to do just enough every game. football is and has always been about winning 1st playing pretty football 2nd. if you can do both then brilliant.
i swear some people have no idea about this game we love.
or is it that you want us to go out play superbly and lose by a jammy goal so you can come on here and say we were crap we should have sacked sven before the world cup etc etc..

Last edited by pauly; 11 June 2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11 June 2006, 08:34 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauly
i swear some people have no idea about this game we love.
Couldn't agree with you more - some of the comments made are .
Old 12 June 2006, 10:01 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Agree with the rose tinted glasses comment made here, seems that some people were watching a different game than I was. Armchair pundit? Quite possibly, but then isn't everyone not directly involved in the England squad an armchair pundit.

I don't have to listen to the likes of Alan Hansen to know a poor performance when I see one. And yes it was hot out there, but don't forget there were 22 players on the pitch not 11.

I think I'm quite justified in the comments I have made especially as we haven't even scored against a far lower ranked team. I'd be especially worried about playing T&T with their magnificent performance against the Swedes, especially with 10 men for the whole of the second half. Ah yes, and when was the last time England beat Sweden? It hasn't been in the past 20 years at least.

I more than anyone love to see England do well, indeed I'm even sitting here wearing an England top. However, it breaks my heart that with the talent available on the pitch we cannot even get the basics of the game right. I just wonder how many of the people argueing against me would be doing so if the fluke o.g. didn't go in. We were Damn lucky to get the 3 points, and I'll say it again, a performance like that against a bigger team and we'll be stuffed.

Don't hear any comments about my points of Eriksson funnily enough?

And Damn straight I have high expectations of the England squad. The manager has 'earned' multi millions from us and the poorest person in the team itself is probably about 100 times richer than me.
Old 12 June 2006, 10:10 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'm not making excuses, I just feel it's pathetic to declare support for Trinidad & Tobago after one poor half.
What's more pathetic is not reading my post properly and jumping to your own conclusions. Here is what I actually said:

. And judging from your comments it looks like you didn't even watch the T&T game.
Old 12 June 2006, 10:40 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

What's more pathetic is not reading my post properly and jumping to your own conclusions. Here is what I actually said:

. And judging from your comments it looks like you didn't even watch the T&T game.
In jest or not, even considering (i.e. your use of 'might') switching your allegiance after one game is pathetic - yeah, a sure sign of a true supporter.

You don't seem to understand my argument - I'm saying that you're a muppet because of your initial comments; not once have I said we played Paraguay off the park, or anything similar.

Where's your Trinidad & Tobago shirt, in the wash?

For your information, I've watched every match so far. Regardless of that fact, please, tell me where I've made a comment to contradict that.
Old 12 June 2006, 12:58 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you're trying to base some sort of 'arguement' on one throwaway line then you're as thick as you appear. If you can't bear to hear some home truths about the performance that's your problem. Funnily enough eveyone who I have spoken to is as disillusioned as I am. I more than anyone want to see England lift the World Cup, but I'm a realist enough to see that it will be a miracle if this is accomplished. I hope to be proved wrong, I really do, but I think Eriksson shouldn't be around and that's not a decision I've made on the back of 45 mins of the last match!

On current performances I probably will support T&T after England are knocked out You're more than welcome to come down to Luton and watch the next match with me
Old 12 June 2006, 01:43 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

If you're trying to base some sort of 'arguement' on one throwaway line then you're as thick as you appear.
Ins't that how 98% of arguments on SN start anyway?
Old 12 June 2006, 02:17 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

If you're trying to base some sort of 'arguement' on one throwaway line then you're as thick as you appear.
You've said an idiotic thing, and I've reacted to it. It's hardly surprising conidering what was said, is it?

You're also getting into points that I've not actually raised, yet I'm the daft one?

On a pedantic note, argument has only one 'e'. Thicko.

If you can't bear to hear some home truths about the performance that's your problem. Funnily enough eveyone who I have spoken to is as disillusioned as I am. I more than anyone want to see England lift the World Cup, but I'm a realist enough to see that it will be a miracle if this is accomplished.
Again, what?

Here's what I've said about the performance:

I'm not saying, for one second, that the performance was good enough in the second half yesterday to win us the World Cup.

I hope to be proved wrong, I really do, but I think Eriksson shouldn't be around and that's not a decision I've made on the back of 45 mins of the last match!
I agree, he's tactically inept.
Old 12 June 2006, 04:13 PM
MikT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Scotland - cried and cried and cried

Pete
Trolling again Pete? Don't see anyone else mentioning the Scots in this thread.

You really need to get out more.

Paul
Old 12 June 2006, 05:08 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

[quote=scoobynutta555]Don't hear any comments about my points of Eriksson funnily enough?[quote]

thats because everybody knows how tactically inept he is.
if England do win it it will be in spite of his tactics not because of them
Old 12 June 2006, 05:12 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

If you're trying to base some sort of 'arguement' on one throwaway line then you're as thick as you appear. If you can't bear to hear some home truths about the performance that's your problem. Funnily enough eveyone who I have spoken to is as disillusioned as I am. I more than anyone want to see England lift the World Cup, but I'm a realist enough to see that it will be a miracle if this is accomplished. I hope to be proved wrong, I really do, but I think Eriksson shouldn't be around and that's not a decision I've made on the back of 45 mins of the last match!

On current performances I probably will support T&T after England are knocked out You're more than welcome to come down to Luton and watch the next match with me
really? even after the "throwawy comment about t&t
personally i would never give half a thought to supporting anybody over England
Old 12 June 2006, 11:12 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I will watch T&T with interest as their best player plays for the mighty hatters but i still think england will turn on the style now they have got their eye in (so to speak)
Old 13 June 2006, 07:21 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

If you want to be pedantic Gstar I feel there's more furtile ground with any post made by pauly. I forget, sharks don't attack their own.

I've said an idiotic thing? That's your opinion not mine. My first post was mostly about Eriksson yet this was mostly ignored for a jokey comment about T&T.

BTW anyone see the Australian game yesterday. I just bet they were falling over themselves complaining about the heat especially with 3 goals in the last 8 mins.
Old 13 June 2006, 08:01 AM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

If you want to be pedantic Gstar I feel there's more furtile ground with any post made by pauly.
That's FERtile.
Old 13 June 2006, 09:05 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

If you want to be pedantic Gstar I feel there's more furtile ground with any post made by pauly. I forget, sharks don't attack their own.

I've said an idiotic thing? That's your opinion not mine. My first post was mostly about Eriksson yet this was mostly ignored for a jokey comment about T&T.

BTW anyone see the Australian game yesterday. I just bet they were falling over themselves complaining about the heat especially with 3 goals in the last 8 mins.

Quick Reply: World Cup woe :(