Sport General sport discussion

Keano leaves Sunderland

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2008, 11:46 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Keano leaves Sunderland

Whats been happening there over the last few weeks ?, haven't had the net for the past couple of weeks, did Niall Quinn leave, thought I heard they had new owners and then read the guy who wrote RK's Autobiography saying he's lost the plot recently.

Always a complex character our Keano, bit suprised to read he "was losing it" as he never suffered fools glady and never took any of the primadonna crap from his pampared players, I was always impressed how he'd drop anyone who turned up late for training or the coach for away games.

I'm sure he will be back and no doubt the stories will soon be out there.
Old 04 December 2008, 11:52 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think Mick McCarthy will offer him a role?
Old 04 December 2008, 01:01 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Roy`s Keaner than my window cleaner
Old 04 December 2008, 01:15 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Quinn hasnt left

The same consortium owns us but a american called Ellis short baught in, he built his shares up & is now the main share holder.

Seems like the board didnt want him to go, Quin was tring to persuade him to stay but had no joy.

Allot of people saw it coming though. Some of his squad selections have been questionable aswell as his transfer dealings.

The way he was talking in interviews also broght doubts, he was due to be signing a new contract but when asked about it he seemed to be questioning his own managerial capabilities.

I think allot of things will come out we didnt know about. Apparently he only comunicated with quinn via text messages or through 3rd partys. I know when he originally came allot of people were shocked Keane & Quinn would work together after Saipan. But hes who the consortium wanted so they were supposed to have made up.

Just hope we can get some 1 decent to replace him. Fat Sam seems to be the early favourite. I wouldnt count Mick Mcarthy out on a return, none of the fans wanted him to leave, it was the old chairman and board.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 04 December 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04 December 2008, 01:33 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Fat Sam would be ideal
Old 04 December 2008, 02:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Keane looks like a stressed homeless man after that stint at Sunderland, thought he might have stuck the season out thou.
Old 04 December 2008, 10:54 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Mike Bassett would be ideal, at least getting beat would be a laugh.
Old 05 December 2008, 12:15 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

keegan lol

wiley
Old 05 December 2008, 06:10 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Keane looks like a stressed homeless man after that stint at Sunderland, thought he might have stuck the season out thou.
Theres a theory floating about he is suffering from depression.

For what it's worth, I have a theory about Roy Keane's reasons for leaving. I genuinely believe that he is suffering from depression.

I am not a doctor, but I can speak from experience having suffered with that illness on and off for years. Apologies if anyone feels that we shouldn't discuss another person's health, but I am happy to talk about my own experiences with this illness, and feel that talking about it can only raise understanding of it.

Looking back in hindsight at the last couple of months, I believe that he made increasingly irrational decisions, particularly around team selection, his relationship with others deteriorated, and in interviews I feel he came across poorly, almost rambling. To me, these are classic symptoms of depression.

A common cause of (or contributor to) the illness is where a person becomes convinced that he/she is not living up to others', and crucially their own, expectations. They therefore believe that they are a failure. We all know the level of expectation from any manager, and in Roy's case, this is especially true in light of the money he has spent. He is the type of person who does not want to let anyone down, and he feels that he did.

Sadly, the circumstances of football management do not allow for someone to take the necessary time off to be treated for the illness and to recover. I think that when he recovers, he will regret having to leave.
Old 05 December 2008, 09:05 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

100 players, yes 100 have come and gone since Keane took over until his departure. 27 players used this season alone, thats just crazy. I dont think we will see him in management again to be honest.
Old 06 December 2008, 02:54 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

ROY Keane resigned as manager of Sunderland yesterday to spend more time with the 26 voices that echo around the inside of his head.

Keane quit his post after advice from Sir Gerald Basketball, an invisible scientist who Keane has been having conversations with for over a year.

He said last night: "It was a difficult decision so I consulted everyone - Sir Gerald, Billy the Mouse, Arthur the African Astronaut, Edwin and Trevor the 20ft twins, and, of course, the floating ghost of Ernie Wise.

"Sir Gerald kept saying 'It's your duty Master Roy' while Billy the Mouse said I should hang on in case all the other teams exploded.

"Ernie was great. He was the one who told me to grow a beard so I would look like President Ahmadinejad of Iran."

Keane said this season's poor performances were not entirely his fault as for the last six weeks the team has been picked by a bottle-nose dolphin that pops up in his bath every Friday night.

He added: "You know it's time to go when you're taking selection advice from a dolphin with absolutely no Premier League experience."

The former Manchester United captain said he would now be taking some time out from football to concentrate on a demanding programme of electro-shock therapy.