Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Just got car back from respray after some tips...

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2004, 12:48 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just got car back from respray after some tips...

Hi Guys,

Me again! Just got my car back from it's full respray and now it's lovely and shiny. I'm just after some advice for keeping it that way, I want to give it some polish this weekend...

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a wax/polish etc?.. I'm just after one from halfrauds or somewhere like there... Is there any recommended ones?...

What type of cloth should you use for polishing?

Any tips/hints would be appreciated!
Old 28 July 2004, 12:56 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Swissol/Zymol would be your best bet. I think some Halfrauds sell Zymol kit!
You will some paint feed, and some form of carnauba wax (again swissol/zymol do both).
Use microfibre towels for washing, the spong terry towel pads for putting on the paint feed/wax, and cotton towels for taking of the paint feed/wax (also use a cotton towel for drying off instead of a chamois)

I would personally suggest swissol, it is what I and many others use and swear by, although others rate zymol quit highly too!
Old 28 July 2004, 01:00 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

You dont want to go anywhere near it wish polish for at least a week. Was the car completely stripped of all components, sprayed and finnished in an oven??? If not you need to let the new paint cure properly for at least a couple of weeks if not a month before you take polish to the paint. Just wash it with a decent car body shampoo ( I recommend Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo) and a decent chamouix-leather (sp?) for now. If you really want to give it an extra shine use a bit of Wax not polish as polish is an abrasive and you shouldnt need to be cutting the new paint yet.

Meguiars 3-stage system is great. Just use the final stage carnuba wax for now.

(Check the prices of the above products and you will see why I've suggested Meguiars )

Last edited by prodriva; 28 July 2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 28 July 2004, 01:04 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least you got it sorted at long last The other garage sounded like jokers from the start I'd wait a month personally before polishing it. I've never used fancy polish I've always stuck with Autoglym and rate that highly.

Paul
Old 28 July 2004, 01:11 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Yep at last it's all done! It was the same garage who re-did it but they've done an excellent job, have now got a complete MY00 front end and a free-respray! They even steam cleaned the engine and valleted it for me.

I think I'll leave it a month and just wash it normally with car shampoo, then I'll wax it one weekend and keep waxing it every month to keep it nice and shiny.

I'll post some pictures at the weekend.

Matt.
Old 28 July 2004, 04:01 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Worth the wait then I guess