WRX03 grills sorted.....

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2004, 10:25 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX03 grills sorted.....

Hi,

Just let you know what my WRX03 looks like now I've replaced OEM grill (behind the scooby badge) and fitted a lower grill below numberplate. Its a high density pattern much finer than the standard mesh. Should stop those big wasps/stones from puncturing my rad.

Took me 3hrs and one new Black&Decker rotary tool to make the lower one but it was well worth the trouble IMO.

Enjoy!

Frank
Old 01 August 2004, 02:05 AM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Just done something similar with my MY01, not sure whether to spray black or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../newgrille.jpg
Old 01 August 2004, 11:19 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mmmiddy
Just done something similar with my MY01, not sure whether to spray black or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../newgrille.jpg
Nah, leave it Silver, looks much better (agressive). Besides, if you spray it, the paint will only flake off as it starts to get weather beaten.

Frank
Old 01 August 2004, 11:55 AM
imprezaWRC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastfrank
Nah, leave it Silver, looks much better (agressive). Besides, if you spray it, the paint will only flake off as it starts to get weather beaten.

Frank

+1
Old 02 August 2004, 01:15 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

im just wondering if you think that it may significantly reduce airflow to the radiator??

looks good though
Old 03 August 2004, 08:48 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fastfrank

Frank
An alternative is to use aluminium mesh which has been anodised black : the finish is contained in the pores of the metal as opposed to on the surface, and so should withstand a bit more grief than paint or powder coating.
Old 03 August 2004, 09:05 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
im just wondering if you think that it may significantly reduce airflow to the radiator??

looks good though
Thanks Neil,

Don't reckon it makes much difference really. Been eyeing up the engine temp gauge on route to work and it seems the same as usual. However if i see something suspicious occuring i will whip the mesh out. Maybe a brisk track day would show some issue? Who knows.

The place I tried to buy the mesh from previously stopped stocking it because they had some complaints about the air restriction to the rads. Probably those zaxo owners .

Anyways, i thinks it looks smart.... I know what a wasp BBQ looks like now

Oh yes, and black anodised mesh would be good but its trying to find someone who makes it!

Frank
Old 07 August 2004, 09:33 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Replaced the piccies with better quality ones
Old 12 August 2004, 11:59 AM
GINTO
Scooby Regular

Default What material

Did you use stainless steel Frank,

Where did you buy your mesh from?

Nice neat job.

Have you edged the bottom grill with a piece of black plastic/rubber trim before installing, it looks like it in the picture, if so what did you use.

Would be keen to know how you went about it, as I am going to a similar exercise to mine, also to include bonnet scoop.

I know the top grill comes off no problem, but how did you fit the bottom one, did you need to remove the bumper?

Cheers...
Old 12 August 2004, 04:48 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GINTO
Did you use stainless steel Frank,

Where did you buy your mesh from?

Nice neat job.

Have you edged the bottom grill with a piece of black plastic/rubber trim before installing, it looks like it in the picture, if so what did you use.

Would be keen to know how you went about it, as I am going to a similar exercise to mine, also to include bonnet scoop.

I know the top grill comes off no problem, but how did you fit the bottom one, did you need to remove the bumper?

Cheers...
Hello Ginto,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm suprised I've not had more feedback.

In answer to your question:

I bought the mesh from a place called Demon Tweeks in Wrexham (North Wales). Cost me £16 for 100cmx30cm and its aluminum. Quite a good deal really.

As for the trimming I used some excess gutting off an old motorcycle windshield I used to have. It was designed to cover up the sharp edges of the perspex but also ideal for slotting three sides of the mesh into. This makes it look neater and stops you from scrapping the paint off the bumper when lining up. The guttering is a maluble plastic not rubber.

To make the whole process easier I made a template out of cardboard, got it near enough as I could and used it to cut the mesh out.
Bottom Grill:
Firstly, no, you don't need to remove the bumper I had the same thought when i started out
If you look behind and underneath the numberplate (at the unpainted area) you'll see and arrangement of pre-cuttout holes. Two of the holes run parallel to the rim of black plastic below where the mesh will stop. I cut the mesh at the top point so two parts of it would bend into these hold thus providing a fixing point.
Once done the whole fittment was quite a snugg fit and seems to do the job. Not fixed the bottom three edges as yet but it doesn't seem to move much so i might leave it.

Was going to the the intercooler hole as well but ran out of mesh.

Hope this makes sense.

Any more question, feel free to ask.

Frank
Old 13 August 2004, 12:17 PM
GINTO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Frank,
I will get mine done when I get a minute, working long hours just now though. The trim round the bottom mesh certainly finishes it off well, I will also have to try and see if I can find something similar to edge mine, I have a spare blue plastic windscreen trim for my bike, I'll see if that will do the trick, but the black may be better. You should think about de-tangoing your headlights as well, it is real easy to do and sets the front of the car of brilliantly.

Anyway, cheers for your helpful advice.

Ginto...
Old 14 August 2004, 11:24 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

No worries mate, glad to be of service.

Let me know if you find somewhere that does that trimming, it would always be handy to know. I got siltch left..

Might look into the de-tango bits to

Frank