Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

FOR SALE: RB5 #039 - Factory Standard in appearance, but read on...

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2013, 07:31 PM
lcheater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb FOR SALE: RB5 #039 - Factory Standard in appearance, but read on...

Up for very reluctant sale is my much loved Subaru Impreza RB5. I have owned this car for just under a year and in that time, alot of meticulous time and effort has been spent sourcing the very rare parts to bring this car back to completely standard appearance. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a heavily modified car when I bought it, it was just missing small details, for example it didn’t have the correct PIAA driving lamps and covers, the original wheel centre caps etc. This car looks utterly factory standard with the exception of the exhaust back box, which has been up-rated (more detail below).

I had it MOT'd in November which required some welding to the OSR sill, but that has been done (professionally) and therefore it now has 10 months MOT. It was also re-taxed in November for 6 months, so the car is ready to drive away.

This, being the RB5 model, is a UK spec, UK registered (i.e.not an import) limited edition car. To celebrate the return of Richard Burns to the rally team, a limited edition of 444 RB5 models in paint code "blue steel" were created in 1999 for the UK. This car is number 039 of 444 (numbers 13, 113, 213, 313 and 413 were not made because they contain the unlucky number 13). The cars were all registered in 1999, the first being late March/early April and some being as late as September/October of that year. Most were registered as T-plates with some later cars making it onto V-plates. This car is registered on a T plate.

Factory Specification (over and above standard Turbo 2000 model):-

Blue steel metallic body colour (colour code 86F)
Fully colour-coded exterior (i.e. door mirrors, door handles, side skirts, front & rear under-spoilers, driving lamp covers)
Blue 'Alcantara' and suede-effect interior trim, with black 'jersey' surround on seats
Special graphite trim for the centre console
Air conditioning
Special 'Speedline' 17in, 6 spoke, alloy wheels in 'pewter' colour with 205/45 ZR17 tyres
PIAA front driving light conversion for the fog lights
Prodrive quick shift
Roof-mounted map reading lamps
Special, RB5 side and rear decals (and also on driving light covers)
Special, RB5 embossed carpet mats
Special, RB5 interior-mounted, numbered plaque "Limited Edition" only 444 available!

All of the above are intact and are original parts; as I have previously mentioned, I have gone to great lengths to ensure only the original spec parts are fitted (the centre wheel caps are the most common thing people get wrong when they replace their worn out / lost ones, but I have a set of 4 matching Prodrive caps that are the exact ones fitted to the car as standard). As you can see from the pictures, this car was selected to be on the timeline at the 20th Anniversary of the Impreza event at the Prodrive factory in Banbury. To be selected for this, the cars had to look as close to factory standard as possible...

Being a MY99 car, it also benefits from various upgrades that MY98 and earlier cars do not have:

4 pot front brake callipers with larger 295mm vented front discs.
Vented rear discs.
Restyled front end/bumper with crystal headlamps.
STi 4 high level rear spoiler.

OK, so, onto performance... Whilst I have described a standard car so far, the engine has had performance enhancing modifications made to it, to bring it from a standard 214 bhp to approximately 340bhp. I have never got round to putting the car on the rolling road, but I have been out in another RB5 which has been tested at 330bhp, and both the owner of that car and myself felt that mine was faster, so the 340bhp figure is just a guess based on that. So, what has been done to achieve this extra power...

Simtek ECU mapped by Bob Rawle (BR Developments -http://www.brdevelopments.com/)
Up-rated (thicker) HKS top mount intercooler
3" stainless exhaust system from turbo back (including sports cat)
Exedy Fast Road Clutch
Lightened Flywheel
VF35 turbo
TurboSmart adjustable dump valve

There are two small and discrete toggle switches near the handbrake that controls the ECU map. One switch switches between 2 maps; this is designed so that when it is not possible to use VPower or Tesco 99, you can switch to a map that retards the ignition slightly, which helps protect the engine from damage if an inferior fuel has to be used temporarily. The other switch turns anti-lag on and off. I do not use these switches as I have ALWAYS used either VPower or Tesco99 (as advised by the ECU mapper Bob Rawle) and I do not use anti-lag firstly because the car is by far quick enough as it is, but secondly I have been told the anti-lag ideally needs a turbo that can handle anti-lag. Basically, anti-lag continues reduces the turbo spin-down between gear changes; it also makes the car sound like a rallycar.

Another feature the Simtek ECU has is launch control. I have not attempted to even try it out as I can’t imagine it being very kind to the engine or gearbox, but if you put your foot on the clutch and select first gear, when you put your foot all the way down on the throttle the ignition timing is adjusted slightly to give optimum launch control. Then all you need to dois release the clutch. Now you can seewhy I have never tried it!

I have fitted an MP3 Alpine stereo, and professionally installed a Parrot Bluetooth hands free kit which is linked to the stereo so that the stereo mutes when a call is made or received. I have also completely replaced the front brakes with Godspeed grooved discs and Kevlar pads and completely rebuilt and re-conditioned callipers. The reason I did this was because after I bought the car, the car developed all the symptoms of warped discs. So I replaced the discs and pads only to notice that the callipers had also seen better days. So I replaced the callipers too.

The car has covered just under 120,000 miles (will increase slightly as I am using the car to get to and from work) and I have lots of receipts including one for nearly £1000 to have the cam-belt replaced recently (done by previous owner).

£3995 ono

Last edited by lcheater; 02 January 2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Sort out poor formatting (didnt like being pasted from word!)
Old 02 January 2013, 07:45 PM
murray555
Scooby Regular

Tidy RB5, glwts
Old 03 January 2013, 04:48 PM
lcheater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by murray555
Tidy RB5, glwts
Thank you
Old 04 January 2013, 02:04 AM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

If you still have this on 21st of feb, I will bite your hand off for it, glws!
Old 06 January 2013, 08:30 PM
lcheater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiggy1
If you still have this on 21st of feb, I will bite your hand off for it, glws!
No problem. I have one person interested in it but he is yet to come and have a look. I have just put it on ebay tonight too.
Old 09 January 2013, 04:54 PM
lcheater
Scooby Regular

Reduced to £3795 for quick sale.
Old 16 January 2013, 03:09 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Nice clean example of a rare car.. GLWS
Old 27 January 2013, 04:47 AM
DD24