Notices

Back to wrx suspension set up??

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2014, 05:05 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back to wrx suspension set up??

A few years ago I recall reading an article by someone more knowledgable than myself about how the ideal real world set up was circa 450 bhp on standard wrx suspension, excluding roll bars and other enhancements. Any thoughts? I have had the vague feeling that the lowered harder ride has more pitfalls than benefits, especially in a rural setting.
Old 21 June 2014, 09:57 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Must just be me then. I am very tempted to back to WRX suspension.
Old 23 June 2014, 11:02 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't vouch for Newage cars but on my MY93 the standard WRX springs plus OEM spec KYB Excel-G dampers are a sublime (and cost-effective) solution for B-roads.

By comparison the standard JDM red struts on my MY99 car were too stiff. I replaced them with P1 springs and Prodrive Bilsteins all round which are great, but I have to say that the standard MY93 WRX suspension is every bit as good.
Old 23 June 2014, 07:31 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plenty
I can't vouch for Newage cars but on my MY93 the standard WRX springs plus OEM spec KYB Excel-G dampers are a sublime (and cost-effective) solution for B-roads.

By comparison the standard JDM red struts on my MY99 car were too stiff. I replaced them with P1 springs and Prodrive Bilsteins all round which are great, but I have to say that the standard MY93 WRX suspension is every bit as good.
That's great feedback from someone who has tried both, or should I say three - one being the holy grail of UK real world roads set-up

There's alot to be said for compliant travel, eh

What springs were you running with the V5/6 reds?
Old 23 June 2014, 08:11 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

My MY99 car is a WRX RA Limited (non STi). As far as I could tell, it was on its original struts when I replaced them with the Bilstein/Prodrive combo.

I don't know exactly what springs or spring rates came with my car (would be interested in knowing), but presume they are the same as other MY99 JDM cars - not sure if the STi and WRX cars of that vintage were fitted with different struts?

BTW Bonesetter I appreciate your words particularly as your posts have been useful to me when making suspension decisions.

Last edited by plenty; 23 June 2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 23 June 2014, 08:22 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Great like for like feedback. I have gone down the KYB/Eibach route and, for my taste, on rural roads, they are too stiff. Smooth tarmac, not bad, but even then, they can be caught out. The question is, spend serious money on a properly set up high end coils or revert or perhaps seek out an alternative solution. I am really not too fussed about being low. More interested in feel and road holding in all situations.

Bonesetter, given the choice what would be your choice on best real world bumpy back road set up on a new age?
Old 24 June 2014, 03:52 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sprigeteer,

Which KYB's are you running?

My MY04 Wagon is currently running Leda coil overs and I'm looking at KYB Excel-G with Eibachs as a replacement. The Leda's are past their best (I think) and can't cope with proper roads.

Dave.
Old 24 June 2014, 05:40 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

My MY99 car is a WRX RA Limited (non STi). As far as I could tell, it was on its original struts when I replaced them with the Bilstein/Prodrive combo.

I don't know exactly what springs or spring rates came with my car (would be interested in knowing), but presume they are the same as other MY99 JDM cars - not sure if the STi and WRX cars of that vintage were fitted with different struts?

BTW Bonesetter I appreciate your words particularly as your posts have been useful to me when making suspension decisions.
In that case, I'm not sure, but I seem to think there was a strut change in ~97 from black to red.

The originals on my '97 Type R WRX V-Ltd (non STi) were the black non-inverted.

Unfortunately, the original springs had been replaced with god awful S-techs, so yeah, would have been nice to have had the OE's still on...

Glad to have been of some help
Old 24 June 2014, 05:42 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
sprigeteer,

Which KYB's are you running?

My MY04 Wagon is currently running Leda coil overs and I'm looking at KYB Excel-G with Eibachs as a replacement. The Leda's are past their best (I think) and can't cope with proper roads.

Dave.
Eibachs will probably not cope too well with real roads - too low and too soft