Notices

Which Suspension Mods & In What Order - 05 STI ??

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2014, 03:18 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Suspension Mods & In What Order - 05 STI ??

Hi All,

Few questions gauging some idea of direction to go, I recently purchased a 2005 STI as a second car, few mods but nothing major but the handling was pretty shocking at first

Changed the wheels & Tyres as the front two were quite bald and now feels much better, but not as good as I remember my old 2005 WRX.
From the guy I purchased it from and the paperwork and receipts it has had the springs changed and the advert said "Pink imported suspension" Now I can confirm the springs are indeed pink
But does anyone know anything about what they might be ??

I also keep reading about and seeing "Coilovers" excuse my ignorance but what are they and what advantage / disadvantage over current set up ??

I seem to recall from my old WRX I had Prodrive springs fitted first (Because of the rear knocking shock getting replaced under warranty, So thought why not ) then Whiteline rear ARB and Drop links second and I know the rear ARB made a huge difference and definitely the best value for money mod on the suspension

I am thinking Rear ARB first this time (Purely because I have spent a fortune this summer on it & other car insurance due 1st September) and maybe coilovers next spring / summer.

Any recommendations / additions to the shopping list ??

I was thinking CDF Racing of Ultra Racing for the rear ARB's ??
But completely clueless about coilovers

Any help / advice / suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 31 July 2014, 03:38 PM
DEATHLYREAPER
Scooby Regular

the pink springs are jdm sti springs i believe a little lower and stiffer than std uk sti springs but someone im sure will correct if im wrong

coilovers are a coiled spring over the shock absorber made as one unit and can be adjusted for ride height and ride setting (harder or softer)

when i purchased my old 05 wide-track the car had been lowered on springs but still felt nervous going into bends, so i decided to change the coilovers, poly bushes and drop links. The car was unbelievable to drive cornered like it was on rails, but the ride suffered massively it was rock solid a real bone shaker but hey the smile was worth it.

out of all the mods I did to that car this was the biggest difference the handling was amazing and made the difference over any of the power upgrades, and of course the brakes were a little more important i was a little hotter into the bends lol
Old 31 July 2014, 03:51 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Arh so Pink imported suspension wasn't complete sh1te then

I figured it might be JDM as all the paperwork apart from the receipt is in Japanese, So had no idea what it was on about

Yeah I remember my suspension changes being the biggest difference on my last one, Think this time round it might go a little further than springs and ARB's

Brakes are on the shopping list for early next spring too
Old 31 July 2014, 08:38 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

In my experience a 22mm whiteline rear bar will tighten things up loads and give you more confidence going into and coming out of bends.
I would highly recommend chevron Motorsport in stafford for all your handling needs.
Speak to simon he really is the suspension guru out there at the moment.
Last time I was there he had the whiteline impreza for product testing.
He set up my blob sti with 22mm bars, bc coilovers, spec c machined arms, whiteline drop links and geometry / corner weighting.
My car sticks like **** to a blanket with no dramas and is very forgiving.

Siv
Old 01 August 2014, 10:22 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

I agree, my experience of Whiteline 22mm rear ARB was amazing transformation, as I said in original post best value for money mod I did on my old Scoob.

Any opinions on other rear ARB's ?? Such as CDF Racing or Ultra Racing ??
22mm or 24mm ??

Obviously I will do the drop links at the same time and as this is the first stage suspension mod I can fit this myself but when it comes to coilovers and the like I will give these guys a bell

Cheers Siv
Old 01 August 2014, 11:06 AM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I fitted a 24mm with standard front and my god it was twitchy, don't lift off mid corner unless you enjoy the back end popping round to say hello.
Always felt I was backing off a little because of this although controlled oversteer is good and I find that is achievable with 22mm bars front and rear.
You can go hard into an island with no oversteer at all, keep on the power and control how much the rear moves with the throttle.
Private roads or track obviously
With a 24mm bar you would be facing the other way, trust me, I know someone who's done it
A lot if people go 22 front 24 rear, I can't comment on that as I've never tried it as I'm totally happy with 22's, our roads are so uneven and bumpy the 24mm just crashes over it IMO where I find 22 a little bit more compliant and softer and most importantly giving more grip and confidence.
Don't forget tyres tho, no matter how good your set up is your car wont corner with **** tyres.
Btw I have only ever used whiteline, they work well for me

Siv
Old 01 August 2014, 12:54 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

If my memory serves me correct I had a Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear ARB set in the middle position and it was awesome

Never ran a front, what advantage / benefit with that one ??

Its got brand new wheels and Toyo Proxes all round so ready to go

I am kind of thinking Ultra racing because I have the front & Rear upper strut braces and I am a sucker for sticking with the same brand / look unless otherwise advised
Old 01 August 2014, 01:01 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

even a refresh of the suspension helps new shocks and springs, the prodrive springs work well, also just because their painted pink don't make them the proper ones lol as my mate just bought a widetrack with new struts they were just painted!! theyre shot
Old 01 August 2014, 01:31 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
even a refresh of the suspension helps new shocks and springs, the prodrive springs work well, also just because their painted pink don't make them the proper ones lol as my mate just bought a widetrack with new struts they were just painted!! theyre shot
Yeah I had kind of thought that but then I have the import paperwork and Invoice plus the invoice for fitting, The question was about the original statement from he seller of "Imported Pink Suspension" As to what is it, is it any good etc...

And I'm sure changing them now or next spring (Pardon the pun ) for coil overs or just newer shocks & springs will bring an improvement.
But first stage is definitely rear ARB.

Was just interested to learn more about coil overs and front ARB's and what peoples experiences with these mods are