Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2014, 12:29 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with shocks and springs

Hi all this is my first question as I'm a new user

I own a 1997 WRX import impreza.

Recently failed MOT for a leaky shock amongst other things.

The car had adjustable coil overs on the front but i decided because of budget to purchase a second hand OEM set off ebay.

Apart from stiff bolts on the knuckle the old coil overs came out easily. I didn't know at the time to mark up the top camber bolts position. i hope this is the only problem.

When I started installing the OEM set that I'd bought I realised a spring compressor would help as they seemed to big to install and it took some serious graft to get them in position. (No they're not the rear ones which are even longer)

Once the wheels were back on and I'd bled the brakes I went for a test drive and noticed straight away noise coming from both sides.

Turning full lock is very juddery and when I put the gas on the engine revs up but power does reach the wheels. Almost feels like brakes are on.

I'm a bit worried about the whole thing and would appreciate any advice.

I havent drove it since

Thankyou

Mark
Old 14 August 2014, 08:18 AM
Lone_Urban_Wolf
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mbright81
Hi all this is my first question as I'm a new user

I own a 1997 WRX import impreza.

Recently failed MOT for a leaky shock amongst other things.

The car had adjustable coil overs on the front but i decided because of budget to purchase a second hand OEM set off ebay.

Apart from stiff bolts on the knuckle the old coil overs came out easily. I didn't know at the time to mark up the top camber bolts position. i hope this is the only problem.

When I started installing the OEM set that I'd bought I realised a spring compressor would help as they seemed to big to install and it took some serious graft to get them in position. (No they're not the rear ones which are even longer)

Once the wheels were back on and I'd bled the brakes I went for a test drive and noticed straight away noise coming from both sides.

Turning full lock is very juddery and when I put the gas on the engine revs up but power does reach the wheels. Almost feels like brakes are on.

I'm a bit worried about the whole thing and would appreciate any advice.

I havent drove it since

Thankyou

Mark
Sound like you might have made a mess of building up the top mounts, if the car was lowered on coilovers then you went back to OEM set up thus lifting the ride height you'll need to get the tracking adjusted.

the brakes sticking on sounds like a separate issue, not sure why you were bleeding brakes not necessary to take brake flexis off when changing struts.

what set up you got on the rear end?
Old 14 August 2014, 08:46 AM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lone_Urban_Wolf
Sound like you might have made a mess of building up the top mounts, if the car was lowered on coilovers then you went back to OEM set up thus lifting the ride height you'll need to get the tracking adjusted.

the brakes sticking on sounds like a separate issue, not sure why you were bleeding brakes not necessary to take brake flexis off when changing struts.

what set up you got on the rear end?
Hi thanks for your response.

I've had the wheels off again after work and it wasn't long before I spotted the cv joint has come apart.

I put new discs and pads all round when I first got the car and I noticed that the driver side lateral link was like a banana. Now I've got this problem I reckon at some point in its life it's been in a ditch or sideways up a kerb equalling weak cv joint.

Better on my drive than on the motorway.

Thank you all for you replies
Old 14 August 2014, 08:51 AM
Lone_Urban_Wolf
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mbright81
Hi thanks for your response.

I've had the wheels off again after work and it wasn't long before I spotted the cv joint has come apart.

I put new discs and pads all round when I first got the car and I noticed that the driver side lateral link was like a banana. Now I've got this problem I reckon at some point in its life it's been in a ditch or sideways up a kerb equalling weak cv joint.

Better on my drive than on the motorway.

Thank you all for you replies
think i still got a spare driveshaft maybe a hub aswell in the shed if you get stuck pm me and i'll have a look
Old 14 August 2014, 06:28 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lone_Urban_Wolf
think i still got a spare driveshaft maybe a hub aswell in the shed if you get stuck pm me and i'll have a look
That's good to know. Thanks mate