Notices

Bugeye WRX Suspension refresh ideas /advice - am i on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2017, 10:56 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye WRX Suspension refresh ideas /advice - am i on the right track?

Hi,

Sorry for all the questions as of late but as everyone is so helpful I am making the most of it!

I need to completely refresh my bugeye wrx suspension as its like a bouncy castle.

I do not want coilovers, had them on previous cars, hated them, even if they are cheaper, better etc i cannot be convinced - sorry!

So i would like to do a complete overhaul, new top mounts, shocks and springs, boots etc...

There seems to be a little bit of a limited choice when it comes to the bugeye as i hear the rear suspension is different to the blob so that narrows the choice down?

I see KYB offer their Excel g ones which come in at £312 or ICP do unbranded ones at £216 for the full set.

First question is has anyone used the unbranded ones from ICP? I am not looking for amazing handling I just need it back to factory ish spec and if i can save £100 then I will.

Next question is springs, I would love a little drop but it seems the only ones that fit my idea are the out of stock prodrive blue springs? I know eibach do a similar kit but I really do not want a low car or one that rides badly.

Top mounts and bump stops/dust covers i am assuming the ones from ICP are suffice for normal use?

Sorry for the long post but want to make sure I get it done right first time round and no doubt there are 000's of Bugeye owners on this forum who can advice what worked and what didn't!

Cheers,

Optimus
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-06-27-10-38-08.png
Views:	0
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	22803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-06-27-00-24-24.png
Views:	0
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	22804  
Old 27 June 2017, 01:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Personally i'd have a look at KYB AGX
Old 27 June 2017, 01:30 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Its just the rear mounts that are different on a Bug, meaning you are very limited for spring choice. However, the later Blob mounts are a direct swap and you just need a couple of spacers for the Bug shocks to fit. However, you may as well just buy Blob shocks in the first place. No difference in the front.

I'd went for Excel G in the first instance. Although they only last about 40k miles before noticeable deterioration. Probably last longer with stock springs.

I have Prodrive Blue Springs, so can't comment on any others. They are great though.

Worth doing the droplinks and ARB bushes while you're at it. Then a full 4-Allignment is crucial.
Old 27 June 2017, 03:27 PM
optimus
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies chaps.

Technopug, I intend on changing the whole lot as they have done 65000 so im sure everything is well overdue.

I've just found your thread and read through it (very informative) so can I just confirm, If i install blobeye rear top mounts on new blobeye shocks with the PCA blob springs they should go straight on my Bugeye with no spacers or modifications?

I have read the fronts are the same both top mount and shock regardless of year? Although i'll buy blob shocks up front to keep it the same.

I think i'll stick to KYB for some peace of mind although i might enquire as to the brand of the ICP ones.

thanks
Old 27 June 2017, 03:35 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Yes, all correct re: Blob into Bug

If you are going to replace the front top mounts, I’d suggest Whiteline Com-C, as they give you a nice bit of neg camber & pos castor. A slightly bigger rear bar helps too. I cannot emphasise too strongly how important a proper geo setup is afterwards.
Old 27 June 2017, 03:47 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I’ve got an unused set of gaiters for the shocks I think and also, if you decide to stick with the stock springs, an unused, boxed pair of Bug rear mounts which I can let go for sensible prices. I’ve got a brand new set of Whiteline front drop links for a Bug also IIRC.
Old 28 June 2017, 10:09 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Thanks technopug for your assistance, i think i'll go with the blobeye rear shocks so will need to buy new top mounts anyway.

I've emailed Peter and have put in an order for the springs, hopefully they are what I am after!

I'm now struggling to find places to buy shocks from, is ICP the only place? There is eBay but im just surprised there are very few places to buy shocks from either kyb or pattern.

Cheers
Old 28 June 2017, 10:37 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I used to get my stuff from Camskills but I think they just do tyres now.

You could try https://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/

Otherwise Ebay if you have the right part numbers (KYB Catalogue has a lot of errors, so check here before ordering).

Alternatively you might consider spending a bit more for uprated shocks.
Old 03 July 2017, 10:22 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Quick update, thank you all for your helpful information, especially technopug.

I've purchased some of the PCA dynamics springs (very nice and helpful chap is Peter)

I have also put in an order for 4 new shockers and associated bits from spring-loaded.co.uk

the bill is knocking on £600 and thats with non branded shocks!! I can see why people buy cheapo coilovers but I need something good quality and that i can live with.

I'll let everyone know how it goes once i have time to fit.

thanks again!

Optimus
Old 03 July 2017, 11:16 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

What sort of mileage do you do?
Old 03 July 2017, 12:26 PM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Its going to have to be my 'daily' which is a 30mile round trip?
Old 03 July 2017, 12:29 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

OK. You'll probably get between 30-40k out of those shocks with that spring combination.
Old 03 July 2017, 04:17 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I've been reading this with interest, Impreza suspension is always a dilemma.
what are people's opinions on this sort of set up below ?

http://www.scoobyparts.com/suspension/tein/tein-street-advance-dampers-gss60-8uss2

looks almost like a cross between shocks and coilovers allowing for height adjustment.

Siv
Old 03 July 2017, 04:29 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Without knowing the spring rates or damping, it's impossible to compare. I'd imagine that it would be overly stiff for UK roads, being a Japanese make. You're paying for the height adjustability but you get what you pay for, so I'd suggest that the shocks/springs will be inferior to other set ups, given the sub £500 price. If setting the height exactly how you want it is paramount or you want to change the height often (or even looking for a really cheap option to corner-weight the car) then try them.

I thinking damping adjustability is more useful than height, given how much proven experience there is around optimal ride height for WRX/STis.
Old 03 July 2017, 04:37 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

I see exactly what your saying, personally I'm happy with standard shocks springs and ride height so adjustability is not important to me.
its about time someone came up with an alternative to the kyb route, seems the only option out there is pedders but I'm not convinced, they sit a bit low for my liking.

Siv.
Old 03 July 2017, 05:01 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

It's the springs that effect height, not the shocks. It is a shame that no one else seems to offer an OEM alternative, other than KYB. Bilstein are usually my goto supplier but they don't carry much of a Subaru range.

For a fixed-perch setup on a daily driver, honestly don't think you're going to find anything better than PCA springs with decent shocks. I went with KYB initially but then replaced them with Koni inserts. If I wanted an upgrade past that (track work) I'd just bite the bullet and go straight to four-figure coil-overs. Buy cheap, buy twice....
Old 03 July 2017, 05:20 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Alternative GD/GG dampers:

Koni inserts

or

Contact sales@wisefab.com they're in Estonia. http://www.wisefab.com/en/
They are the European distributor of Feal USA.

Feal do adjustable struts for newage 100pcd and 114.3pcd

114.3pcd version:
http://fealsuspensionstore.com/produ...ubaru-wrx-sti/
Old 03 July 2017, 05:22 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

I agree.

I'm currently on jdm standard sti shocks springs and mounts.
On my previous blob sti I was on oe shocks with eibach springs that offered a realistic drop, probably about 20-25mm all round.

One of my rear shocks is starting to creak so it's either do the grease nipple mod or buy new.
After everything I've learned over the years and the fact that my car is a daily driver I would probably fit :

Kyb shocks
Eibach springs
Whiteline camber bolts front and rear
Whiteline c front top mounts
Possibly group n rear top mounts to match rubber grade of front mounts
And obviously a good geo set up
I already have a 22mm rear bar with whiteline stout mounts and a spec c 20mm front bar with poly bushes.

Siv
Old 09 July 2017, 11:49 PM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Right, just to confirm a few things...

​​​I've purchased the following:
4 x blobeye shocks
4 x pca springs
Front and rear blobeye top mounts
Front febi bump stops and dust covers
Rear standard bump stops and dust covers
Front and rear drop links

Is there anything else I will need to complete the rebuild? I know there is some "would likes" i.e arb etc but this is more a list of what I need to get the car working.

Also, how much of the new suspension can I build off the car? I'm guessing I can assemble the rears but the fronts have they got a metal cover underneath the top mount?

Thanks again people, you're a great help.

​​​​​​
Old 10 July 2017, 07:14 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

As you say, just the washer for the fronts, so if you can source those separately it would be easier. Can't remember whether the PCA springs need the rubber between spring and cap also.