Notices

Front Sway/Anti-Roll Bay

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2002, 08:22 PM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM - lol, only when I'm being a tit

The problem arises, for example, when you are braking and you are running over those horrible rumble strips or hit a pot hole (not big). You get the judder up the suspension which kicks the ABS into action. I was wondering if the Anti-Roll Bar (not bay ) would reduce this affect.

When you uprate the ARB in general, would you do front and rear to keep any balance or is it okay to do just one i.e. the back.

Ian

[Edited by GW2000 - 10/4/2002 8:23:09 PM]
Old 04 October 2002, 03:03 PM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Has anyone upgraded the standard (MY00) front anti-roll bar and noticed any real improvement in the feel, preferably on the wagons. I've had bumpster, front/rear drop links and rear anti-roll bar done at PS and things started off okay. The rear anti-roll was set on the hardess setting and after a while it felt a little unstable. The rear is now in the middle and feels much better. Not a problem with PS.

The front still reacts rather quickly, although my description is probably terrible, with the ABS kicking in if I hit a slight bum while braking....not a nice feeling. Just want to know if the front anti-roll bar would remove any of this??

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 04 October 2002, 06:52 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The ARB's have no effect when travelling in a straight line (and you don't brake whilst cornering do you )

Matt
Old 05 October 2002, 09:43 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ARB's are used in racing to "transfer" grip from one end to another...say your front end needs more bite, bigger rear ARB, and vice versa.

They're used as fine tuning after suspension's been sorted I might add.

I've been driving my car on track ALOT, and what I've found is that I find my car PERFECT with just a Leda B coilover kit and a powerflex bushing kit (and a set of lovely Kumho R-compounds).

It's unbelievably neutral, and has got a very easily controllable rear end with left foot braking, or just a wee bit of lift off.

The bushing kit really sharpened up the car, precision driving lap after lap is not a problem anymore (scared me the first time out with it, almost drove over a massive curb ).

So...IMHO - sort the suspension first, then see to it that the moving parts does what they're meant to, and not flap about in loose rubbery bushings.

/J - going to go for a quaife atb for the front end now...
Old 10 October 2002, 09:31 AM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies...I've been thinking about track days myself...I'll have to see what it's like there and then get the wallet out

thx
Old 11 October 2002, 09:03 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Just a note: the arb is put into action any time one wheel on an axle tries to move up/down more than the other wheel on the same axle. This is quite often in a straight line on bumpy b-roads

I would check the front ARB bushes and damper condition if you're getting uncontrollable front wheel bounce. Also check your steering rack bushes...how long have you had the bumpsteer on, and what size washer was fitted?

Regular ABS activation means you're pushing too hard, or there's a suspension or ABS problem somewhere. Get this diagnosed before doing any further mods

Fitting an uprated front ARB isn't going to help you IMHO, and could move the balance back towards understeering pig mode.

Richard