Notices

Getting the back to stick

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2003, 01:28 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it when I go to B&Q's and buy 2 bags of sand, put them in the boot and drive back the back of my car feels rooted to the gound. Also read a few posts on here with people saying that their car seems to handle better with some passengers in the back.

Why is this?

Is there anything we can do to our suspension to emmulate the bags of sand handling?
Old 18 January 2003, 05:29 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Get a decent sized ICE install?

I'm planning on a rear strut brace for my UK to see what that does, and the dampers really need replacing as well. (I can feel them sagging a bit.)

What tyres are you using? Mine feel quite grippy withoug extra weight in the back.
Old 18 January 2003, 07:32 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

dnb

I have STI 3 RA with rear strut brace on KYB struts

Paul
Old 18 January 2003, 11:28 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Mine (Uk car) feels much better with no people in the back. Think it's the worn rear shocks causing this - I'm looking forward to replacing them next month, then I can look at the next handling problem.

How do you find the strut brace? does it make much difference in an RA - with the solid rear bulkhead?
Old 19 January 2003, 09:17 AM
pban
Scooby Regular

dnb

Its been a long time since I've driven a scoob without one. I asked the same question ages ago with my STI 5, plenty of people that I respected said its worth it, so I did and now would be without. In any case it can't hurt can it?

Paul
Old 19 January 2003, 05:36 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

It can't hurt - you're right. And it's another nice looking shiney thing to have on the car
Old 19 January 2003, 05:57 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

dnb

I would have though a uk car would show even more gain from fitting

Still does answer the question, why does the back of my car handles better with 2 bags of sand in the boot?

Paul
Old 20 January 2003, 01:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Just read this thread again. Have you had a PROPER check done on the suspension geometry?
Maybe when you load the boot with 2cwt sand, you make the suspension legs camber out, which makes it grip better.
Mine were set at 1degree 30 minutes negative camber by Powerstation last week, and the back feels better now, but I also had the rear arb changed for a thicker one, and solid droplinks all round.
Alcazar
Old 20 January 2003, 01:42 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

alcazar

Geometry is ok, with in reason. Rear camber is just over 1 degree negative either side, just happen to have some new tyres at MichelDevers so I have a print out with it on.

The back just rides better with the sand, doesn't want to jump so much, just sort of sits down and feels more stable, if you know what I mean.

Paul

Old 20 January 2003, 02:00 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Are the springs too hard for a light car, so it bounces too much?
(silly idea, but you never know)

Could you generate some downforce with a rear wing?
Old 20 January 2003, 02:29 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

dnb

I think you've not too far from the truth, I've noticed that when I'm getting low on fuel that the ride height on the car goes up. I thought that maybe the spring are too stiff but I'm no expert.

Paul
Old 20 January 2003, 03:52 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK..

One thing to remember is that adding weight to the rear of the car will not (unless there is some other major factor affecting things) make the rear stick more during bends - in-fact it will do the reverse.

Doubling the weight on a tyre does not double it's gripping force, so you will end up with less effective cornering grip at the back.

If the car REALLY IS stickier at the back when you add weight to it, the chances are your geometry is miles out and the slight lowering of the suspension causes the contact patches to be flatter or something like that.

I would suspect that it just "feels" more sticky though.

Cheers

Simon

PS. It will also make the car roll more at the back, which *could* in turn make the front of the car less performant under lateral load as it will shift the dynamic roll couple distribution rearward (meaning more load transfer across the front tyres).
Old 20 January 2003, 04:20 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Simon

I hear what you are saying but, I think maybe the word "stick" is maybe not correct. Its sometimes difficult to describe how one interprets the handling of a car. dnb maybe had something with the rear being too light and no one seem to offer a comment re the ride height changing as the fuel tank empties. What I think I'm trying to say it that if I stick 2 bags of sand in the boot (50kg) then the whole rear suspension works better, it doesn't skip over bumps and generally feels more rooted to the road.

Paul
Old 20 January 2003, 04:29 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pban

I get you. It could well be as simple as the fact that you've changed you sprung wieight / unsprung weight ratio in the right direction (admitedly from the wrong starting point!) which is almost always an advantage.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're getting more consistent compliance, rather than increased grip. This is very possible.

Try lighter wheels maybe?

cheers

Simon
Old 20 January 2003, 04:38 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Simon

Yep, now we are on the right wave length, AFAIK the springs/shock and wheels are all standard so this is "as factory", hense another thread asking owners of STI3 RA's to tell me what there cars are like and if they have modded the suspension.

What effect would slightly softer spring make? Would this act as if their is more weight to the rear of the car?

Paul

[Edited by pban - 1/20/2003 6:14:53 PM]