Notices

bump steer or was it geometry.?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2003, 03:23 PM
markd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all...every 1 raves about bump steer how good it is ...do you think it just might be your geometry was way out so when the geometry was done that was the main reason the car handled great or is the bump steer mod that good...? .also anti lift kit has any 1 experienced any noises ie.knocks or bangs from having it fitted .and are the benefits from the alk only seen by going on track....cheers mark
Old 24 January 2003, 06:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

alk: Definitely harder, and rattlier (??), but have also got solid drop links, and stiffer arb at rear.
Steering is less vague at speed.
Alcazar
Old 24 January 2003, 07:01 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Forgive me, I am not too familiar with this bumpsteer thing but read about the ALK.

Cant you adjust all that with adjustable suspension and top mounts? Ride height, bump, rebound, toe, camber and castor is about all you can do, right?
Old 24 January 2003, 07:03 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

The bump steer i can't comment on as i've not had it done and am not convinced by it, i believe if the geometry is set up right then its not needed, just my view not fact.
The ALK i agree with Alcazar (http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=170524), i did drive the car about 20 miles between having the ALK fitted and the geometry done but is pointless to comment on how that felt as fitting the ALK would have moved the geometry anyway.
However the 2 together have transformed the car as far as restisting under steer, and the car is more sensitive to throttle under hard cornering, but i suspect that is more to do with the geometry settings i chose than the ALK.
Old 24 January 2003, 07:54 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

But from what I understand, the ALK IS a change of the geometry, adding 0.5 or 1 degree castor?
Old 27 January 2003, 03:40 PM
markd
Scooby Regular

any more info if poss......mark
Old 28 January 2003, 11:11 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Claudius,

Correct. I believe it is 0.5 deg. On the BSM front, it is definately a very worthwhile mod and good geometry can never compete with it though both singularly can transform the handling of the car and the two together are even better.

You can get around the dialled in bump steer to a degree with extra toe in but you will still get understeer due to the wheels toeing out under braking and when cornering and also worse tyre wear when travelling in a stright line (a la Prodrive settings).

Not having the wheels toeing out under load is always going to be better then having them do so and nobody likes understeer......do they?

I also think the BSM gives you more confidence to push through the corner as the front end is more consistent and of course, offers more grip.

Ta,

Matt