Notices

Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2003, 08:20 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to ask if you technically minded people would be kind enough to give me some advice on suspension setups for the impreza.

I have a 96UK turbo with 102000 miles on the clock, i feel that its time to get some new suspension.

To avoid me making a complete tw@t of myself when i phone round for quotes what am i actually asking for? do the shocks and springs need replacing? what are these bumb steer things and what do they do?

From renewing the suspension i am looking for a lower and stiffer ride, i feel that as it is, its just not quite good enough

thanks in advance

Chris
Old 30 January 2003, 10:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

With that sort of mileage, the shocks are probably of little use, and the springs will be tired, to say the least.
I would suggest you contact one of the Scoob experts, which one depending on where you are. I've been to TSL, and Powerstation, and can recommend both.
Bump steer: basically, this is a mod, rather than new suspension, and moves the steering rack to get rid of bumpsteer. For a better explanation of what bumpsteer actually is, do a search on here, but Powersation are the experts.
If having new bits, get whoever does it to do a full 4 wheel alignment, once they are fitted.
New bushes all round will probably help, and will stiffen the ride, but whether you go for OE ones, or harder plastic ones will depend on you.
Anti-lift kits are about £120 + fitting, and help to make the front more controllable, and the steering less vague at speed.
Solid drop links all round will help to stiffen, but add to NVH problems.
A stiffer rear anti roll bar is advised if you want the car to handle better.
I had most of this done, but NOT new springs/shockers, as my car has only done 35000, and paid £550.
Alcazar