Notices

WRX STi Poor Handling

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2003, 07:50 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean about the tramlining. Mine has started doing it, but did not before. I think something has got knocked out of adjustment. Apart from that, the handling is spot on, the car changes direction quicker than my old EVO and is a joy to drive.

I have a fiend who knows a fair bit about suspension (used to be a senior chassis engineer at TWR), apparently many manufactures have notoriously loose tollerances on suspension settings, yours may need a tweak.

Anyone tried APB motorsport's suspension adjustment service ?

[Edited by Gary C - 11/10/2003 7:51:21 PM]
Old 10 November 2003, 07:11 PM
carl-hf
Scooby Newbie

Question

I have been running an 03 WRX STi for about 6 months from new. Compared to my old P1, which handled like a dream, the STi has been a real disappointment, more of a nightmare.

Admittedly it is still running the standard Bridgestone Potenza's but the handling is really bad, the front end wavers all over the place and tramlines if it can follow features on the road surface, not very confidence inspiring at high speed.

What can I do to rectify this, the dealer has not been much help? I have heard about some STi spring sets, can somebody tell me a bit about them and anything else that is going to make the steering more precise.
Old 10 November 2003, 07:13 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

tyre pressures ok?
Old 10 November 2003, 07:13 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

You should blow your tyres up !
Old 10 November 2003, 07:27 PM
yasawas
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

why did you change from the P1!!!!!???????
Old 10 November 2003, 08:00 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Firstly get rid of the standard Bridgestone tyres which are rubbish. Most Scooby owners seem to like Goodyear Eagle F1's or Toyo Proxes T1-S. I have tried both and both are much better that the standard jobbies.

Secondly you might need a proper 4 wheel alignment check and re-adjust.

I would recommend TSL Motorsport

They set up my car properly and it handles like a dream now. Turn in is crisp and all trace of understeer has gone from the front end. If you can stretch to it I'd also recommend some Prodrive lowering springs or Eibachs. Both of which are available from TSL.

Usual disclaimer blah blah blah. Not associated with TSL just a very happy customer.

Old 11 November 2003, 12:53 AM
scooby66
Scooby Regular

Went to scooby clinic fitted with kyb shocks eiback pro springs bump stops and powerflex drop links and re geom set up no more understeer and a lot cheaper than TSL like on rails now on a moded myo1

[Edited by scooby66 - 11/11/2003 12:54:17 AM]
Old 11 November 2003, 09:52 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Carl,

As Nathan says, it's more than likely that it is your factory Geometry settings. I ran the OE 17" RE040s and then my current 18" Proxy T1-S on my STi and the car was all over the place (just as my MY00 was from the factory) but then I had the Geometry done properly at Powerstation when the car was about a week old and the car was transformed.

Single most important mod if you ask me!

Matt
Old 11 November 2003, 01:14 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have to agree with the above.

The geo on all new Imprezas needs to be done by a company like TSL, or Powerstation.. and the standard tyres 'go off' within the first 5K miles and tramline awfully.

I've just had the Prodrive Spring kit, 18" Speedline Corse with toyo proxy T1-S tyres and the the allignment done by TSL - transformed the car completely! And believe it or not, the ride is better (not as harsh) on this set-up rather than the OE springs, 17"s and tyres!!

Another thing that the PD springs have reduced is the bouncy aspect of the car - for example on the M25 at circa 50mph-70mph the car used build up a rythmic bouncing on the concrete stretches, this has been almost removed at that 50mph, but is still present at circa 70, but it is no where near as bad as it was before.

I would thoroughly recommend the PD springs on the STi8.

I also find the Toyo's quieter than the F1s on most road surfaces and they seem to be on a par grip wise.

FYI - I've covered about 800 miles since fitting the springs, wheels + tyres and the geo being done.

Obviously, the above is my personal opinion and findings.

Alex
Old 11 November 2003, 03:51 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

The single best thing I did for mine was to fit a 24mm rear sway bar. On medium setting it has TOTALLY transformed the car from an ugly tramlining, understeering, unsure handler into a car that makes you feel like your now in control. Combined with a good wheel alignment, strut brace at the frount and Goodyear F1's, its become a very neutral handler ( with a hint of oversteer when pushed ) and without doubt much more fun to drive.