Notices

Improving handling path

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 12:09 PM
Fredysan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi:

This is my first post in this part of the forum. I've been interested in the tipical Engine mods, but now is the time to get a better handling of my beast, a MY98 Impreza turbo. I have some questions

1.- Does anyone know the height from the center of the wheel to the fender of this car? I think my Impreza have the rear end too low... Today I measure this height given (aproximately): 360 mm at the front (+- 5mm) and... 330 at the rear (+- 5mm) Is this normal??

2.- I mean "improve handling" by decreasing the normal understeer of our cars. I read the article "Rex on rails" from www.autospeed.com where they give a lot of interesting tips. I'm thinking in buy a rear swaybar Does anyone have tried it?.

At the other hand, Is there such thing as a "improving handling path"? Which one?

Regards from Chile
Old 11 November 2003, 12:50 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im off to powerstation in the UK on friday to get a rear swaybar, anti-lift kit and bumpsteer done. I'll let you know how i get on..although I wont be able to give you a really good summary of the swaybar improvement in its isolation.

Previous to these upgrades I went the following route :

-17in wheels
-Eibach springs
-Powerflex rear anti-roll bar links
-Decent geometry ( by TSL in UK but you should be able to find their settings somewhere on these forums )
-Whiteline front strut brace

The Eibachs,rear links and a decent geometry setup did reduce the understeer to a good degree but then the geometry setup can change over time and you end up with some degradation in handling.

Bumpsteer and uprated swaybars seem to be the biggest bang for your buck reading the forums but apparently bumpsteer is only available in the Uk as far as i can tell

There are far more knowledgable people on this forum than me so see what others also recommend.

Cheers
Rich
(so looking forward to the drive home on friday )