Notices

Suspension mods - implications?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2000 | 09:52 AM
roblane
Scooby Regular

Question

Curious. What's the deal with making changes to suspension components from a warranty / insurance perspective?

Presumably we should be telling our respective insurance co. that we've made an itsy bitsy change but do they actually care exactly what we've done as long as we tell them something?

Is the warranty situation the same as for say replacing the OEM backbox - ie with a sensible dealer it'll have no effect in the event of an engine warranty claim?

Old 05 September 2000 | 01:55 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I believe it varies hugely from company to company. Some may increase the premuim, others won't but will only replace with OE spec stuff if damged, and some will replace with the actual modded stuff.
Regarding warranties, the only part that should be affected is the part you replace which will come with it's own warranty anyway, i.e, if you fit new springs and your engine blows up, it won't affect it. If your dampers fail though, they may argue the case if you've fitted new springs.
Eibach don't seem to think so in their case though.

Stef.
Old 14 September 2000 | 09:47 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

rob

I have told my insurer of all mods (itg, scooby back box, eibachs, 17"'s) and the general feed back is if no perforamce gain, all ok. Sent info to them re exhaust 7 itg and ansa came back - no problem Only thing they dont know about is the clear indicator lens'. IMO let them know so if you have a claim, one less thing to worry about / or insurer to throw out

agree with stef re warrenty, my dealer not bothered but then I have'nt had a problem with car parts attatched to mods

simon
Old 23 February 2003 | 08:06 AM
Scooby Regular

Cool

Simo is dead right, do as your mum says, tell the truth! My STi V3 is fitted with all the Whiteline/AVO/MRT/Magnex mods you can find in thier catalogues and Footman James have asked for no increase on the £800 cost (3K miles /year).
Sleep easy.
Graham.