Notices

Tein, Bilstein &/or Ohlins adjustable suspension dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2004, 07:35 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein, Bilstein &/or Ohlins adjustable suspension dealers?

erm Basically i'm desperately seeking adjustable (at least height) suspension (coilovers is it primarily? any FAQ's would be good to explain to the retard, that's me BTW lol, what all the bits mean) but can't seem to find many contacts who can supply me with suitable. Now i confess it's actually for a RX7 (3rd gen) if that makes a ddifference but any tips on suppliers would be good & also any comments, experiances etc with these brands/models would be greatfully received....
Cheers folks
Si (AKA dum dum)
Old 31 March 2004, 08:50 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I looked at Ohlins a while back and went to AutoSport courtesy of them to look at the "Road and Track" series they'd just launched.

Ohlins are the Daddies of the bike racing world but I baulked at paying going on 3K for an adjustable road setup and I got the impression (possibly wrongly) that I'd be one of the first customers and hence a guinea pig

Depends how much adjustability you want? Bump, rebound , spring rate, damping etc - the more you can adjust, the more you can screw up

AFAIR the Ohlins was one adjustment for both bump & rebound (i.e. 1 click was x% more bump and x% less rebound and so on)

Other setups may have one dial per adjustment etc.

It's a good idea to get damper rates and spring rates something like so you use both the springs and the dampers rather than either feeling like a rolling sea or a pogo stick

Koni do a replacement damper that's got adjustment as well as full blown coilover systems - depends how deep your pockets are...

I was once told that compared to std setups, coilovers start hard and get harder - great if that's what you want

Also, competition type coilover applications may need rebuilding at certain intervals which is an add-on cost. Coilovers can also be noisy depending upon whether the oil inside has warmed up / got less viscous.

Ohlins would have sold me a Gp. N forest setup for approx 2.5K per corner

Maybe some of this helps

Apple
Old 31 March 2004, 09:11 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

And Ohlins supply Impreza WRC this year, right Apple?
If someone wait USA Prodrive will have a new suspension soonly height, bump, rebound adjustable from the dashboard!
www.prodrive-usa.com
JIM
Old 31 March 2004, 09:48 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I think so Jim

When I went to the show last year, they were out testing with Prodrive...

Isn't that the Tein stuff for the dash setting? Now just need to combine it with the lowrider gear
Old 01 April 2004, 04:18 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Hmm all good stuff cheers folks
Anyone heard or had experiance with HKS hypermax adjustable kinda goodies?
Si
Old 01 April 2004, 05:18 PM
dsmawd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
I think so Jim

When I went to the show last year, they were out testing with Prodrive...

Isn't that the Tein stuff for the dash setting? Now just need to combine it with the lowrider gear
Yes, TEIN has the EDFC that allows you to adjust the damping rates (and only the damping rates) from inside the cockpit.

To my understanding the Prodrive units are computer controlled to adjust themselves based on your manner of driving at that particular moment. I could be mistaken, however, but that's the discussion I've heard.

- Trent
Old 11 April 2004, 01:05 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Trent,

There's probably a bit more money floating around if Prodrive want a solution to something e.g. for the WRC car that the likes of us mere mortals can afford

I think you're getting at active suspension systems re Prodrive, which are a bit more advanced - I guess the setup needed in a WRC car is a lot more complex than a F1 car as they only go round and round on namby-pamby flat surfaces with maybe 10 to 15 corners to "negotiate"

Apple