Notices

KW Variant 3 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 12:55 AM
deft
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW Variant 3 anyone?

Hi guys, I live very close to the KW north american supplier, and having a local solution here in canada isn't something I come by very often.

IN any case, it would be great to get some feedback, as these suspensions are not at all common in north america. And I should be able to get a pretty good deal on them. And I did try to search, but I didn't come up with much as kw is not searchable, it's not long enough, and searching variant doesn't come up with anything really substantial.

Anyway this car will see track time, and I participate in motorsports very regulary. How harsh do you guys find them? I drive my car daily, and am hoping that I can tune them down for the street, and then back up for the track etc. Also, I read that a lot of owners upgrade(increase the spring rate) of the springs when you buy these. Does that imply that the stock springs are quite livable?

Thanks a lot for your time
Old 21 April 2004, 02:32 PM
Egan
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by deft
Hi guys, I live very close to the KW north american supplier, and having a local solution here in canada isn't something I come by very often.

IN any case, it would be great to get some feedback, as these suspensions are not at all common in north america. And I should be able to get a pretty good deal on them. And I did try to search, but I didn't come up with much as kw is not searchable, it's not long enough, and searching variant doesn't come up with anything really substantial.

Anyway this car will see track time, and I participate in motorsports very regulary. How harsh do you guys find them? I drive my car daily, and am hoping that I can tune them down for the street, and then back up for the track etc. Also, I read that a lot of owners upgrade(increase the spring rate) of the springs when you buy these. Does that imply that the stock springs are quite livable?

Thanks a lot for your time
Bump for answers/reviews/opinions on what looks to be an awesome coilover setup.
Old 21 April 2004, 03:40 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Dowser (Richard D) can help you guys, he has KW3 on his car that uses it a lot on track days etc.
JIM
Old 21 April 2004, 04:29 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Hey deft

I posted a similar question last year and here's what I got:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=235480

I know there's not a ton of info there, but I thought something might be of interest and there are a couple of usernames that you might want to search.

(The MINIMUM drop of 40mm got me a little concerned!)

Good luck.
Old 21 April 2004, 07:51 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You'll find the v3 stock springs too soft on track for serious work (since the above referenced post I've tried a stock set-up), unless the tracks over there are like the Nürburgring Depends how much of a compromise you're willing to make between track & road performance though.

Mine are fitted with stronger springs, but no idea what rates (I bought them 2nd hand). There are a wide range to choose from though.

I love mine - since the above post they're still functioning perfectly. No nasty noises or rattles from cold, and excellent customer service (free rebuild when I sent them back to the factory in Germany!).

Another competitor is trialing a new remote reservoir variant 4 design for them on an Evo this season - he sold his Oehlins to fit them, so it will be interesting to see how they perform in comparison.

But it all really depends on what you expect/require from a suspension upgrade and just banging KW's on without doing anything else is unlikely to show much of a return either.

Interestingly, since replacing all my bushing with Powerflex and fitting a plated rear diff and 6MT, I reckon I'm now as quick on bumpy b-roads as I was before making the decision that track performance was more important than road. It's just a very bumpy ride!

Richard
Old 21 April 2004, 08:07 PM
deft
Scooby Newbie

How did you find the soaked up the bumps with the stock springs? I just want to know that the stock will be livable, and from there if I want more, I'll just buy some more aggressive springs. Oh and for sure, with the V3s, I'm planning on new front and rear sways, and some race tires(I only have so much money for this year) and of course more will be added when the money comes in =)

Also, how would these compare to those new Powerstation AST coilovers? I know those are more of a comfort coilover, but they are on the new type 25. And, people rave about how much grip they have.
Old 22 April 2004, 07:34 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Ride quality of dampers is far superior to stock stuff, but I'd imagine the same is true of any half decent kit? I'd try just the rear bar first - a better solution in most cases (IMHO). I only fitted an uprated front bar because of overheating front tyres on track, and if the recent changes to diff alleviate this then I'll be putting the stock item back on. Also consider stronger bar links and mounts, plus the ALK. Strut brace up front probably wouldn't go amiss at this level either, and then you'd want the rear one too, and then the lower front one, and on and on

Not tried the AST stuff, but was amazed at how bad UK roads are when I drove my car over there a while back. I would have to soften my current set-up if I had to drive there every day...

Richard
Old 22 April 2004, 10:16 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Richard you are welcome to try the Greek roads, there isn't suspension available in the market that can cope with our potholes-bumps and "glossy" asphalt...
JIM
Old 21 May 2004, 11:58 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

does anyone know or have any links to how KW's V3's are made up?

I am sure that I read somewhere they use koni dampers. a suspension engineer drove my car recently and said it felt like a needle type adjuster rather than shims , used in konis.