Notices

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2005, 05:39 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Coilovers

OK guys n' gals, here goes yet another thread relating to coilovers.

Most of the threads I've read on here relating to coilovers mentions how uncomfortably hard the ride is. So just for the record, in case anyone should search for info on this topic, I thought I'd post a positive comment on this option.

I just had a second hand set of coilovers fitted to my MY00 wagon. (Big thanks to Angie at AnG Services for doing a top job and for getting the geometry sorted for me.) I had the Bilstein/Eibach combination which typically suffered from a leaky (or sticking) n/s/r strut. I was never that impressed with that set up, even though I understand that it's an improvement on the std suspension set up. My biggest problem was the amount of roll.

Now I know for some people comfort ranks very highly on the list of priorities, but I'd rather have the car set up so the handling suited the performance, ie sporty.

So I took the plunge and opted for coilovers. Reading up on peoples experiences had me a little apprehensive as I read so many comments about the ride being bone crushingly hard.

As it happens, the particular set up I got my hands on seems to really suit my requirements. Combined with the geometry work it's given the steering a much nicer, weightier feel at low speeds, requires less work getting round corners and has just a slightly firmer ride than before. It's definitely not alarmingly harsh. Even feels more settled over the speed bumps.

So there you go. And for those who are interested, the struts are KYB, height adjustable, and the springs are Eibach. They're stickered up 'ERS' (Eibach Racing System) and stamped something like 800 250-300, whatever that means.

Geometry was requested at 2.25 degrees neg camber up front, max neg camber rear, equal both sides. Toe is 1mm toe in all round. Incidently, geometry was way out since the last time it was done about a year and a half ago. Also, the last time I had it done I opted for less neg camber up front (on the advise of the previous garage) and noticed hardly any difference after the work was done. This time around the settings appear less precise, but it feels so much better.

I realise there are untold variations in spring rates and spring /damper combinations, but the guy I bought them from said he found them way too hard and was fed up with the jolt felt from going over every little stone. Yet for me it's nowhere near as hard as, say, my mates various modified VW Golfs. So I guess it's personal preference and there's obviously a huge variation in peoples expectations of how these cars should feel on the road.

Old 21 April 2005, 11:12 PM
Scoobnov2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Glad to hear you got a result mate.

Vik's had coilovers on his scoob since he got it and I personally think they are fine. a liitle harsher than normal but they come into their own when the car is pushed hard.

see you on the weekend.