very light steering / oversteer / lousy handling

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2007, 02:45 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very light steering / oversteer / lousy handling

Hi folks,

Couple of weeks back ( for no apparent reason or change to the car ) i had a sudden tank slapper exiting a reasonably tight righthander. Over the next few days i noticed the steering on the front had become very light and the back end of the car wanting to swap ends at speeds half of what i would normally do.. to the extent that any normal car was out running me just going round roundabouts . It actually feels like the front tyres are leaning on their outer edge when you go round a corner.

Initially it felt like failed shocks so set about the following :

Changes the fronts ( KYB AGX ) and found the front nearside return rate was very slow ( 22 seconds instead of 10 ) . This made it feel a little more stable once changed. ( camber was set to max negative by eye for now )

So then I changed the rears as i suspected one had failed prior to this issue - the rear offside was worn but i replaced both.( again camber was set to max negative by eye for now )

At the same time i also adjusted by rear ARB to the softer setting ( to help reduce oversteer ) and change front tyres with the rears.

The problem has not subsided at all so now im concerned as to what it could be. I aim to go to Powerstaion for a geometry setup anyway very soon but I am concerned this is more hardware related than just adjustments..especially as it started suddenly when I havent curbed the wheels etc.. and the recent changes dont make any difference at all. I guess i dont want to get to powerstation and have a setup done and then find out its something else and have to have more changes and another a setup.

Any suggestions as to what this could be or what i could visually check for? what about toeing in as well, could this have such drastic effects?

Just for info - The car is a classic UK turbo with Eibachs, KYB AGXs ( all new ), whiteline front/rear strut braces ( rear brace removed for now ) , alk, front rear roll bar drop drop links and powerstation bumpsteer mod. ( and tyres should be good for another year ).

Help! i hate being 2nd to reasonably prices cars going round the twistys

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by Richardw; 23 February 2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: cant spill!