Notices

[B]Where to next[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2007, 12:17 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [B]Where to next[/B]

Where to next? Got rear adjustable 22mm ARB (middle setting), four wheel alignment from powerstation, Michelin PS2's. So far biggest improvement has been rear arb. Car is MY53 STI UK. So far it seems handling mods give better than any engine mods. Where should I look for next biggest improvement? Sorry quite new to car moding.

Last edited by scoobeenut; 06 September 2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06 September 2007, 07:26 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A call to Curtis at Powerstation.
You are at the classic 'crossroad' now that several of us have 'turned' at.

A good chassis is miles better than more power, then the chassis.

First you need to be sure what you want the car for, road but nicer or more extreme.

Graham.
Old 07 September 2007, 10:25 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Yes thanx for that 911,that was my thinking, lets face it even a standard STI is pretty powerful, but as the actress said to the bishop power is nothing without control!!!

I thought maybe a look at the front end, either front strut brace or even anti-lift kit? but have heard that this may dial out some of the gains at the rear of the car.

Not planning to track the car but certainly drive it quite hard on the road
Old 07 September 2007, 10:45 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I just done this mate.... and i completely agree with your statement.

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...ndry-cars.html

Without control, power is worthless. Im building a decent chassis before i introduce more power aswell.

Like i say in that post above, the STi Pink Springs make the car feel lighter.... and definately faster because you can carry more speed with the added composure.

Next mods for me = STi Rear ARB, STi Lateral Link Set and Zerosports Roll Centre joints for increased camber on the turn in.
Old 07 September 2007, 11:36 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

There are some quality looking parts on that STI sports website.

I like the look of the lowering springs but as my car is slightly older i do have the issue with the failing rear shocks (knocking) and suspect that this may re-occur. Last time they were replaced under warranty, but if they go again I will defo not go back to Subaru for replacements as they obviously can't sort the problem?

AST's sound like the business but I am starting to look at big bucks then. Oh well such is life will start saving then!
Old 08 September 2007, 03:20 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I can vouch for the AST's, I had them on mine (<- VMS) and they are excellent. I also had the 22mm rear ARB, but was initially disappointed with it when fitted. After about a week I switched it to the stiffest setting and found it much better. If you drive smoothly then it is definitely the better setting IMHO, so much so that I wished I'd had the 24mm instead.
Old 08 September 2007, 08:15 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
There are some quality looking parts on that STI sports website.

I like the look of the lowering springs but as my car is slightly older i do have the issue with the failing rear shocks (knocking) and suspect that this may re-occur. Last time they were replaced under warranty, but if they go again I will defo not go back to Subaru for replacements as they obviously can't sort the problem?
Do you have a Newage? Because you may find changing to the STi Pink Springs it will stop your shocks from failing as they are perfectly matched to the Standard Dampers valving (which the standard springs arent).