Notices

Fitting coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2008, 10:01 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting coilovers

Hello peeps, need some advice on getting my coilovers fitted. I will be doing this myself and it seems an easy job but want to make sure I do things right.

I have some prodrive pillowball top mounts that I will be fitting to the coilovers (+/- 1 deg) prior to fitting them to the car however I am a bit confused over the initial setup of the shocks i.e ride height and setting the rebound.

When I got them they were setup properly (stock STi ride height and rebound) however being a numpty I forgot to take measurements before I took the coilovers apart

After a bit of reading about I have figured out the following (which may be all wrong):

1. Take off my STi shocks, measure the height from the camber bolt to the top mount
2. Set the height of the coilover to the same as the STi shock (camber bolt hole to top mount)
3. Lock the spring collar by hand then set the collar to 7 turns to set the initial rebound??
4. Mount the coilovers back on
5. Set the camber bolts to whatever setting they were on
6. Tighten everything and test out the shocks

I have one problem with the base of the coilovers, the aluminium strut that mounts to the hub doesn't have anything to mount the brake cable onto. I was going to drill a small mounting hole in the base of the collar (next to the camber bolt hole) so I can fix the brake hose to it.

Is there a better way or aftermarket brackets that can do this? (I am considering the option to just fabricate a collar of my own that clamps around the base of the coilover to hold the brake hose).

The springs are 70/40 rate so not entirely sure what rebound setting I should be on. The setup will be temporary until I get the car in for some proper geometry work.

Thanks in advance,

Fz
Old 14 February 2008, 10:34 PM
Bull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive just fitted d2's to ,mine and they came with mounts for the brake cables.The mounts fit on the bolts that hold the hub to the suspension .It came with a rubber grommet that went round the brake cable.As opposed to the joint .this is what it looks like

if you want the measurements just send me an email