Notices

99 uk turbo suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2008, 11:09 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 uk turbo suspension advice

guys i have a 99 uk turbo and has a good list of engine mods etc but nothing has been done to the suspension as yet

i am not too sure which way to turn as i have been herer b4 a spent a fair ammount on upgrading the struts, springs, arb, drop links anti lift kit

but i dont really want to spend a fortune doing it all over again to this car.

i was wondering what route to take what would give me the best and biggest gains would it be it be an idea to -

uprate the springs on their own?

or uprate the shocks on standard springs?

or uprate shocks and springs?

or fit the whiteline gear again to the standard setup consisting of a Rear ARB, REAR Alloy drop links, and ALK?

which would geive the best and biggest gains as i am on a budget, which route to take first? how good are the standard shocks and springs on the uk turbo what would benifit me more, i use the car everyday and hope to do as couple of track days this year bit nothing major (unless i catch the bug lol)

steve
Old 15 February 2008, 11:38 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stevie1982
guys i have a 99 uk turbo and has a good list of engine mods etc but nothing has been done to the suspension as yet

i am not too sure which way to turn as i have been herer b4 a spent a fair ammount on upgrading the struts, springs, arb, drop links anti lift kit

but i dont really want to spend a fortune doing it all over again to this car.

i was wondering what route to take what would give me the best and biggest gains would it be it be an idea to -

uprate the springs on their own?

or uprate the shocks on standard springs?

or uprate shocks and springs?

or fit the whiteline gear again to the standard setup consisting of a Rear ARB, REAR Alloy drop links, and ALK?

which would geive the best and biggest gains as i am on a budget, which route to take first? how good are the standard shocks and springs on the uk turbo what would benifit me more, i use the car everyday and hope to do as couple of track days this year bit nothing major (unless i catch the bug lol)

steve
I'm sure 911 will be on here soon to give you the benefit of his extensive knowledge.

I'd suggest (not from experience, but from what I've heard)

Eibach springs (very well matched to std dampers by all accounts)
24mm ARB rear
22mm ARB front
Solid droplinks
Good Lazer geo set up.

Prob circa £700

If that's too rich for ya

Just uprating the ARBs and droplinks apparently results in a big improvement.

Should be all you need for fast road occassional track work.

FYI the std set up is very good though. My classic runs 320 bhp and it's not exactly wanting for grip or composure. Some people speak as if the car will be a liability without upgrades; it's not. Like the rest of the Scooby, it's good as std, but can be improved with careful upgrades.

Ns04
Old 15 February 2008, 12:06 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

does doing the whiteline gear give better results then doing the std suspension

i thought if you did both the front and back arb you kept the understear but by doing the rear on its own it helped to get rid of it,

i was looking to do it in stages if that makes sense, spread the costs out. just wanted to know what the best setup is for a 99 uk turbo regarding the whiteline kit, and what would give me the best results for cash suspension first, just springs, both, whiteline kit etc etc.

are the std struts good enough then, just uprate the springs as it is not a track car i dont see the point in spending cash out on things that i will not really use.

steve
Old 15 February 2008, 03:12 PM
New_scooby_04

If you just want to ge rid of a bit of the understeer, try a rear adjustable ARB first and experiment with the holes. Introducing a front ARB can bring back some understeer, which can be cancelled out by having the rear on it's most agressive setting. However, it does make the car even flatter in the corners and can be set up to compliment the rear bar to further improve cornering.

You don't want to tmake the car too snappy - a bit of gentle understeer is a good thing IMHO!
Old 15 February 2008, 04:06 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

I have a 97 car and started with just Rear ARB - it was nice.

Adding front ARB was GREAT so much more feel in turn in - general feeling is rear ARB is best 1st mod, but you're most unlikely to get rid of understeer completely unless you have "911's" level of suspension. It's 4x4 after all so it's never going to be snappy like a rear wheel drive car.

Both my front and rear ARB are adjustable rear is on hardest setting front on softer (Rear is a Cusco ??mm front is Whiteline 22mm)

That made the car feel much better but then I added ALK and get an alignment done - BRILLIANT !! Different car.

ALK / Castor kit helps with understeer but the alignment makes a HUGE improvement. As standard the car used to 'dance' over rough roads - afterwards it just goes where you point it - seriously it's better than getting more power for speed over that type of surface as it just gives confidence to 'press on'

Eibach springs help too apparently, but I've had to do mine a bit at a time (due to budget) and if I add them now - I'd need another alignment.

Along with my 4pot brakes & 300+bhp it's now 'as it should have been when it left the factory'

Best of luck they are great mods

Last edited by ClintUK; 15 February 2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Adding info