Notices

AST suspension ride height

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 01:32 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AST suspension ride height

How do you adjust the ride height on AST Type 25 suspension? How much range do you get?

As I have bought Alan Bells bugeye Sti and am waiting for it to arrive in Cyprus, I started having doubts that I would be able to get it down the driveway at work as it is quite steep and abruptly flattens.

I most likely have it set higher for weekdays and lower it for the weekend run, if it easy to adjust.
Old 20 February 2008, 03:46 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

great purchase lovely car mate why dont u give alan a call ask him.
Old 20 February 2008, 05:34 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron

I had asked him when I was over in Uk last week, buying the car. he was not sure as he had never touched the ride height. Whatever it was set at by Powerstation he left at.

It was put on the ship today. 12 or so days to go.
Old 20 February 2008, 05:55 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, i am not sure i want to help you as I so wanted that car for hillclimbs!
Secondly, glade it has gone to a racer!

To set the AST's is simple.
Start with the front.
The spring sits on a black aluminium split collar/ring. It is clamped tight on the threads by a small allen headed cap screw. Jack the car up etc and find/undo this cap head screw. Can take some finding!

Soak the ring and threads in release spray (WD40 in the UK) and clean them maticulously.
The ring will now screw up and down by hand.

I mark the collar with white dab of paint, and count the full turns up (to raise the car) and down to drop it. I find the best road setting (hence should clear your drive?) is to set the height with everything back on the road with the lower wishbones horizontal. This will be trial and error, but change each side equally.
Obviously tighten the collar cap head. I then wrap electrical insulation tape around the threads below the collar to keep them from corroding.

You have a fab car arriving, the best Impreza for sale in recent months.

Graham

The rear is the same, but the car needs a very slight-tail high rake to it.
Old 21 February 2008, 09:40 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Thanks Graham,

Excellent detail. Looks like I will not be able to easily have a ride height setup for weekdays/weekend. I will compromise and hopefully get it to a level where it does not scrape with millimiteres to spare.

This engine setup would be awesome for hillclimbs, compared to my current 2.2l setup in my classic. I have promised I will not do an engine swap or any other mods to this car and just enjoy it day to day. It does not need any work and I should probably leave it alone and concentrate on getting the classic finished.

First hillclimb scheduled 16 March.
Old 21 February 2008, 12:51 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with both!
We kick-off with a practice weekend at Easter.