Notices

What is the rear strut knock

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2008, 09:07 AM
bigsmiffy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the rear strut knock

Just about to change my springs from prodrive to teins on my 07 STi, its well documented that the rear shocks knock after a while, what goes faulty with them bushes, loss of gas etc to cause the knock?
I was thinking of replacing them at the same time, anyone had them rebuilt by the likes of leda or an alternative company, has anyone got any experience or this or should I just go for a different make like koni, I don't want to go coilovers due to the fact I do a lot of miles.

thanks

Tom
Old 11 October 2008, 10:47 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

It apears to be related to the positioning of the shock (large diameter chromed bit) in the housing (base with mouniting plates), they have had a lot of success in the US in removing it, adding thick grease in place of the original at the seal and rebuilding, the knock going away for 30K miles.

Simon
Old 17 October 2008, 02:23 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The rear suspension travel seems to put a side loading on the stuts, as the sti shocks are rather inflexible (being upside down in design) the bronze top bush of the shock takes alot of wear and the large diameter piston begins to knock in the bush after a while, the top bush dries out as well and this does not help.
You can take the shock apart and pack with better grease, or jack-up the rear now and then to re-lube the top bush.
Some have fitted coilovers, but these can knock after a while because of the still present side loading.
Dipster
Old 17 October 2008, 09:01 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

this might sound like a daft question to some but isn't the standard suspension coilovers anyway
Old 18 October 2008, 05:11 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Yes they have the spring around the damper body, but they are MacPherson struts. I don't know any factory scoob with propper double wishbones and coilovers?
Old 24 October 2008, 01:05 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

So other than the crappy knocking noise is there any pending failure of the suspension liable to happen?

I have a track day in a month and my knocking has come back after already having a new set of struts. And my warranty is now expired.