Notices

Whiteline & Perrin?- Stout Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2008, 08:57 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whiteline / Perrin- Stout Mounts & Frnt to Rear ARB size difference?

Do Whiteline do Stout mounts for their rear 24mm ARB (adjustable), like Perrin do. If so any ideas how much? (I know you can weld a fixed plate in yourself but Im not that much of a dab hand & am even wondering whether I can fit the above myself!!!)

Perrin - I prefer the painted look & finish & look of the stout mounts.

Whiteline - I prefer the forged construction (Perrin, ends are welded). Also I have 20.5mm std front ARB & IMO Perrins 25mm rear may be too big a difference (4.5mm front & rear diff) than Whitelines 24mm (3.5mm diff)?? Opinions??

The Perrin 25mm rear ARB is approx £200 with stout mounts & the Whiteline 24mm ARB without stout mounts is approx £140

Opinions welcome thanks

Last edited by rickya; 21 October 2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:54 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Whiteline do make heavy duty mounts for the rear anti roll bars and from memory they are summin like £50-60.

I'm very impressed with the Perrin stuff i've had, build quality of the stoutmounts and the overall quality of the droplinks and bars certainly IMO look to be better that Whiteline.

I went for 25mm rear with Stoutmounts & 22mm Front, along with Droplinks and subfrmae lockdown kit. To say the car feels better through the bends would be a understatement. It corners way way flatter enabling u to push harder than you'd belive possible. Also steering feel is improved

Last edited by B0DSKI; 21 October 2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:59 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B0DSKI

I went for 25mm rear with Stoutmounts & 22mm Front, along with Droplinks and subfrmae lockdown kit. To say the car feels better through the bends would be a understatement. It corners way way flatter enabling u to push harder than you'd belive possible. Also steering feel is improved
Same setup that i've just had fitted and echo your thoughts, feels sooooooo much better now
Old 22 October 2008, 08:58 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Morning

I don't think you need to worry about the end welds on the Perrin arbs. The quality is excellent and as you say they do look much nicer than the Whiteline ones.

However, you are possibly right that 25mm may be too large on the rear compared to the 20.5mm front. If the difference is too great, you could find the back end bouncing slightly when cornering hard. One alternative is to upgrade the front as well or set the rear arb on the softest possible setting.

In all honesty, if I hadn't got the Perrin on group buy discount, I would have gone for Whiteline (I believe you can save 15% with Demon Tweaks with the WL gear).

Overall though, you can't lose with either kit, just depends on whether you want a little more bling in your life .
Old 22 October 2008, 12:03 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Question

Does the rear sub frame lock down kit consist of two bolts that screw through S/F and form a solid fixing to chassis..? Are they easy to fit..?

Does this create any excess harshness/noise..?

The rear end on my WRX needs stiffening (oooh errr.. ) as when I just had the rear 22mm adj rear ARB balance was excellent. Since having a WL front ARB fitted (not sure mm?) as part of my T25 setup, it's not been as tight at the front IYSWIM..?

I suppose I could fit a thicker 24mm adj. rear..?
Old 22 October 2008, 12:11 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Fitting instructions for the subframe lockdown kit CLICKY

There is a bit more road noise but i also fitted uprated engine & gearbox mounts which also add a bit more noise but nothing major

Have you tried the rear arb on all the settings, i don't think the 25mm rear arb is too stiff for the road (some said it would be)
Old 22 October 2008, 12:17 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the best deal at the time, both are good quality.

I have whiteline all round purely because that was the best deal at the time.
22front Arb 24rear Arb, ALK, Subframe bolts, etc
Old 22 October 2008, 01:08 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Right, thanks for advice so far

Have gone with Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear ARB only. (No front ARB; no heavy duty mounts; no droplinks yet). Will see how this feels on next track day on Nov 20th at Brands & take it from there.

As car has only covered approx 8,000 miles & std spec c droplinks IIRC are half metal anyway I decided i dont neccesarily need the solid droplinks in a hurry. Not sure about the stout/heavy duty mounts, comfort trade off in everyday driving & benefits gained.

The only disadvanatge of keeping 20.5mm std front ARB is that I will probably not be able to use the stiffest setting on the rear ARB as it may be too extreme, hence limited to medium & soft settings on rear. But if: rear end is too mobile/ front end grip is lacking/handling not flat enough then the 22mm front ARB may have to be fitted to even things out more?

ps ordered from Demon Tweeks for £132 (inc vat)

Last edited by rickya; 22 October 2008 at 01:11 PM.