Dodgy Handling Theory

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2008, 09:01 PM
deamon555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodgy Handling Theory

Hi all!

Got a couple issues with my Bugeye WRX (saloon).. (story so far..)

Got standard shocks, prodrive springs all round, front and rear strut braces, and whitelne droplinks on the rear.. All was well.

Few months ago I fitted perrin droplinks on teh front (When there was a shortage of whiteline stuff in the UK) The standard drop links were worn and needed replacing.

Since fitting the front links the cars never felt the same.. in a bad way.. It doesn't "feel" right, doesn't turn in as well as it should and generally doesn't leave me with much confidence.. Back end kinda flaps about.. not oversteer, just sort of unsettled and unpredictible from corner to conrner...

This was bugging me for ages until I decided to start reading up on handling and stuff. I "think" what may of happened is that I'd stiffened up the front too much with the new drop links.. when what I should have done is replaced the rear roll bar.. Confused? read on....

If My understanding is correct, with the front beign pretty ridgid, it wants to turn in flat yet the back end wants to twist/lean more than the front, applying loads more pressure to the front outside wheel when cornering therefore not evenly distributing the cornering load.. forcing excessive load on the frotn outside wheel causing additional understeer.. Does that make sense?

Also as an interesting side effect.. Recently discovered one of the springs on the front is broken (another story..) So swapped the front springs out for the standard ones again meanign the front of the car is 10 miles off the ground now.

Went out for a quick drive earlier to test everthign was ok and find out how scary the hadnling woudl be now with mixed speings.. What I "felt" was gob smacking!!

Sure the front end is more "wobbly" but it hoenstly feals liek theres LOADS more grip from the car, and feel more like I'm in control of it again, if you know what I mean..! Didn't expect that! thought it was goign to be worse with the standard springs on the front! Admitedly it was just a few miles and not a proper full on test..

But got back and started thinking about the handling theory above.. What if that was right and I had made hte front too stiff.. (ooh errr!) But with softening up the front the cornering load is more balanced and hte front and rear are leaning through the corners more equally giving the better feeling..

Does that make sense in anyway? THe theory sounds good in my head but wouldn't mind knowing if any of your guys reckon it coudl be right...

BTW - Will be getting the Prodrive springs back on again at somepoint, but next investment will probably be rear ARB to stiffen up the rear to "hopefully" get it more equally balanced again...

Thanks,
--
Al
Old 10 November 2008, 10:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Not quite the same, but my std STI set-up gained hugely in the handling stakes when I fitted an adjustable rear anti-roll bar.

You are right, stiffening the front CAN reduce the grip, but if the front-rear balance is right this shouldn't happen.

A rear ARB levels the back of the car allowing the front suspension to do it's job of steering the car, once fitted your steering will feel noticeable sharper on turning into a corner. On the stiffest setting it's drift time !

Later I added a front bar and an anti-lift kit and that just gives even more grip and reduces the oversteer caused by a stiff rear bar....

HTH

DunxC
Old 10 November 2008, 11:54 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

have you had the front camber checked.try turning the top camber bolt on the shocker all the way in (so the hub moves inwards) then tighten
Old 11 November 2008, 09:09 AM
deamon555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
You are right, stiffening the front CAN reduce the grip, but if the front-rear balance is right this shouldn't happen.
Makes sense... At least I'm not going mad....

Originally Posted by maydew
have you had the front camber checked.try turning the top camber bolt on the shocker all the way in (so the hub moves inwards) then tighten
Had the alignment done on the car a few months ago.. Felt a bit better afterwards but not much.. Could get away with adding more camber but if it's a suspension balance issue it would be good to get that cleared up before wearing out the tyres unneccessarily..
Old 11 November 2008, 10:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

TBH I love mine on std STI set-up, just added a raft of Whiteline bits f&r the grip is astonishing, and it turns in so much better, but is a bit harsh over ridges and pot-holes... I can live with that !

DunxC
Old 12 November 2008, 05:19 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

You are completely correct in your thoughts. We all stick on thicker ARBs at the back to make them grip less so the front appears to stick more and the cornering is more neutral. It is of course more complicated than that and the front does affect the back and vice versa but it'll do for this late in the day....
Old 12 November 2008, 05:53 PM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Whiteline Automotive - performance handling and suspension products. car spring coil shock damper swaybar sway bar anti-sway bush bushes australia australian whiteline automotive performance road holding turn-in camber caster toe in vehicle hot 4 v8

Whiteline have a fairly simple explanation.

The reality is that for any given amount of grip available from the tarmac, tyres etc. there will be relatively 'right' amount of roll control through anti roll bars. Too little 'bar' will allow the car to 'roll off' it's grip and therefor have reduced overall grip. Too much 'bar' will cause the car to 'wash off' it's grip and also have reduced overall grip.

On an Impreza, fitting an slightly bigger rear bar will not necessarily reduce the grip at the back, but almost certainly increase grip at the front, just as a bigger front bar won't necessarily reduce front end grip but most certainly increase grip levels at the back.

Overall, I prefer slightly larger anti roll bars as I don't like roll oversteer or roll understeer. I prefer the much easier to control car that washes out when it gets to the limit of it's grip, rather than the much snappier car that rolls of it's grip.
Old 12 November 2008, 06:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Basically manufacturers make cars "safe" i.e. understeer as most numpties can get off the gas and save themselves.... As an oldie used to RWD I can correct oversteer in my sleep ( most mornings on the way to work ! ).

That's why Whiteline and Ecutek are both successful businesses !

LOL

DunxC