Notices

BC coilover damper settings..what you all running at?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2009, 08:15 PM
lammylama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC coilover damper settings..what you all running at?

Just fitted a set of BC coilovers to my 98 type R and today had my geometry set up by abbey motorsport and i must say i am very very impressed with them.
In conjunction with my other suspension mods the car handles amazingly and feels so so planted....superb value for money.
Even the suspension guru at abbey commented on how well my car handled.

Anyway ive been playing with damper settings and have tried from full soft to full hard and at the moment have settled for 15 front and 13 from soft rear,handling is great but i think its still a bit harsh for everyday driving on our roads.

Just wanted to know what you guys have your BC's set at for a good compromise of handling and comfort!!
Old 20 March 2009, 12:12 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Mine is 16 front, 14 rear from soft. Maybe a bit hard.

Quite funny having them set to the hardest isn't it!
Old 20 March 2009, 12:44 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 clciks from soft on front and rear. Good comprimise i think. Tried it on 20 clicks - far to hard for me. Havent worked up the courage to try them on the hardest setting yet
Old 20 March 2009, 02:30 PM
New_scooby_04

What spring rates do you have, mate?
Old 20 March 2009, 10:57 PM
luffy
Scooby Regular

what spring rates do you all have fitted, i have had to go with 6/5 as they had no more 5/4 on the group buy.

im just hoping it isnt to harsh for everyday use!!! along with my ARB's and droplinks.

gonna be using it for trackdays to so should feel the benefits then i hope!!
Old 21 March 2009, 06:39 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

5/4 on Newage
Old 22 March 2009, 12:09 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am running the 5/4 on my classic, and have got 15 clicks front and back, mine are the inverted ones, but what way is fully soft, and fully hard? clock wise or anti clock wise?
Old 23 March 2009, 07:04 PM
Heretik
Scooby Regular

Ive got the 6/5's and have been running them on hardest for the past few days (with an ALK fitted). I actually find the car a bit wallowy when trying to change direction quickly and it still understeers Definitley not as responsive as I had hoped; but I think this is largely due to the way it has been set up. I have been used to incredibly hard ohlins springs - which were very uncomfortable, but very solid. I was happy to make a bit of a compromise in getting suspension that was more livable, which it certainly is on a softer setting, but it does not feel as responsive as I had hoped in terms of steering and I have a lack of confidence in the front end sticking! Perhaps an ARB on the rear might help, or most likely a different geo set up..

I actually had the geometry set up by a company who decided they wouldnt put on the little bit of positive toe I had asked them to - bit annoying. Now considering getting it set up by Abbey Motorsport - so good to hear they have yeilded top results!

Are you able to post the geo settings Abbey used lammylama?

Cheers
Old 24 March 2009, 11:37 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Newage with 5/4's. I run 5 clicks from soft all round.

dipster
Old 26 March 2009, 04:16 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

Classic, 10 from soft all round. Tried 15, was ok on smooth roads but a bit harsh on country lanes.
Old 12 January 2021, 04:41 PM
Jaws4God
Scooby Newbie

Hello, I'm new year. .just purchased a 2003 subaru impreza wrx.. it has the BC Coilovers and the ride was so bouncy.. trying to learn what settings to put the dampening to that may help that! Thank you!
Old 12 January 2021, 08:19 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably better starting your own thread to get attention on this, but define 'bouncy'? Does it feel too stiff, as though the suspension isn't actually moving when it hits something, or does it feel like a pogo stick, and the suspension is moving but rebounding too quickly? If it's the former then you may need to go for softer springs while the latter it may be the case of adding more clicks (they're rebound only adjustable IIRC). Personally I removed the BC's I put on as they ruined the car for me on local roads with 5/4kg springs. With 5/5kg springs the ride was more balanced but still jarred and crashed too much. This was predominantly down to the travel simply not being long enough and the springs were too hard in compensation for this. As a result it crashed into the stops with monotonous regularity.
Old 12 January 2021, 08:56 PM
Jaws4God
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ST-X
Probably better starting your own thread to get attention on this,
sorry.. I should have.

Originally Posted by ST-X
but define 'bouncy'? Does it feel too stiff, as though the suspension isn't actually moving when it hits something, or does it feel like a pogo stick, and the suspension is moving but rebounding too quickly? If it's the former then you may need to go for softer springs while the latter it may be the case of adding more clicks (they're rebound only adjustable IIRC).
I think its like the Pogo Stick, so guess i need to add more clicks, which goes towards "softer" i guess ?

Old 12 January 2021, 09:28 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I just checked quickly to see if my memory was right and the BC's are actually a combined compression and rebound adjustment in the one dial. Count back the number of clicks to the left hand (anti clockwise) stop as that'll give you the current position. They have thirty clicks in total. Then, once you know this value, return to that position and add two clicks at a time until you feel like you've gone too far for your tastes. You can then back it off one turn and see if this is better. If not, go back another click. Keep note of this and it'll give you your baseline for future reference.

Being that they're already fitted it'll be difficult to know what springs were fitted, unless you've got the paperwork for them. My originals were 5/4kg (F/R spring rates) but ended up running 5/5. The other really common spring setup on the BR's for the Impreza is 6/5. With 5/5 I ran 12 clicks on the front and 15 clicks on the rear most of the time although softened both by 3-4 clicks in winter when the car wasn't being driven as hard and wasn't running sticky tyres.
The following users liked this post: