Notices

Whiteline ARB's & Standard drop links?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2009, 12:38 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiteline ARB's & Standard drop links?

When I got my Scoob it already had Whiteline front and rear ARB's fitted with Solid Whileline Drop Links.

Over the time i've had the car I have had to remove the drop links a couple of times to re-grease them to stop the dam things clunking. I use my car daily and the roads around here are not too great plus the fact these drop links dont seem to be a "install and forget about item" so I'm thinking of putting the standard drop links back on...

Will the standard drop links fit with the Whiteline ARB's still in place or will I have to put the original ARB's back on too?

Cheers
Old 25 June 2009, 01:27 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

they will fit, but youl snap them running a bigger bar on the standard drop links - as theyre not up to the job. so either both or standard

thats the idea behind uprating both, as stock items a pap

they surly cant need re-greasing that much?
Old 25 June 2009, 09:48 AM
tarmacsoul
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you will definitely pop the stock droplinks. Every car we've ever installed a larger bar on with stock links, will in eventuality snap them.

With the solid links you really shouldn't have to be greasing them all the time to keep them quiet. If there continuously squeaking or clunking something is installed wrong.

Slide under the car and pull on the arb. See if there seems to be a any excessive movment, or if you can make them, make the noise your hearing. Many times, the droplinks don't get torqued down to spec, and will begin clunking. I cant remember off the top of my head what they need to be torqued to, but check that out first.
Old 25 June 2009, 07:31 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys.

I have had the car nearly a year and have had to "fiddle" with them twice already. Once it would seem the bolt was too long (not a full threaded bolt) so didn't nip up tight so changed this for a better one and this seemed to do the trick.

Now both front and back are knocking so I assume it's the drop links again, doesn’t seem to do it when hitting a bump, more when going over un-even ground slowly, going to get under the car at the weekend to take a better look. I should add, from memory the drop links on the front are the Spherical Bearing type which from reading on here are known to knock/not really ideal for road use as they don’t seem to last too long?
Old 25 June 2009, 10:43 PM
tarmacsoul
Scooby Regular

Sphericals are known to make a little bit more noise generally then the solids. But if everything's together proper, it shouldn't be too much more.
Old 26 June 2009, 10:45 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I threw mine away and got some polybushed fronts from "cusco kid"

HTH

dunx

P.S. I also had a pair replaced by Whiteline for free, but they still went very noisy after six more months, despite greasing monthly, made the car sound like a scrapper.....
Old 26 June 2009, 11:02 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Sorry to butt in, Dunx, is HTH hail to Hitler? I see it on all your replies!
Old 29 June 2009, 09:12 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I had a look on the weekend and it does seem to be the drop links. Especially noticeable on the fronts.

Dunx - If you don't mind me asking, how much did your drop links cost? Im a little fussy so noises tend to get on my nerves so if they ain't silly money I will replace them.