Notices

Standard ARB & Tein SS?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2009, 09:48 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard ARB & Tein SS?

I have Tein SS suspension on my 04 STI with whiteline front/rear ARB's and whiteline Anti Lift Kit.

The front Whiteline drop links are knocking a bit and getting on my nerves (I’m not one to put up with little knocks etc ).

I still have the original ARB's/Drop links so rather than spending £80+ replacing the drop links (which are currently the bearing type so probably wont be long before the new ones start knocking) I thought I could put the original ones back on (ARB and drop link), this will also confirm that it is the drop links and nothing else....

Is there any issue doing this i.e. will the affect the geometry as it's on Tein's and has the anti lift kit? I don't drive it hard enough to worry about the stiffer ARB's.

Cheers

Last edited by stiscooby; 25 August 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 25 August 2009, 08:41 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Rubbish aren't they, fine for a track car but.... mine are rusting on the garage floor ! I sourced a pair of poly-bushed DL's from cusco kid on here and they are fit and forget.

You can fit the standard ones, if the bolts fit snuggly, it won't affect the geometry in any way.

A stiffer rear bar will help kill the understeer, I fitted an adjustable Whiteline rear ARB and it's the best value mod on my car !

My saying this on here (repeatedly !) got me a free replacement set of DL's from Whiteline , but they still started knocking after a couple of months....

HTH

dunx
Old 25 August 2009, 01:28 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
You can fit the standard ones, if the bolts fit snuggly, it won't affect the geometry in any way.

dunx

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking on replacing the standard anti roll bar as well as the standard drops links, will this be ok? I'm not sure if re-reading my post you may have thought i was only going to put the original drop links on with the whiteline ARB? (I have been told not to do it this way as the stiffer whiteline ARB's will break the standard drop links)?
Old 25 August 2009, 06:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Bollocks, a stiffer bar is only a torsion beam that is twisted by the cars suspension, mine gets tracked and abused and I've never broken a drop-link, yet !

So long as the bolts fit the std. D-L's will be fine, but why swap the bar if you are happy with the car, I know you are as bitter as I was to end up paying for a new pair of poly bushed D-L's but they really are fit and forget.

Having two sets of spherical bearing type D-L's rusting on my garage floor I've no reason to lie....

HTH

dunx
Old 25 August 2009, 08:59 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking on replacing the standard anti roll bar as well as the standard drops links, will this be ok? I'm not sure if re-reading my post you may have thought i was only going to put the original drop links on with the whiteline ARB? (I have been told not to do it this way as the stiffer whiteline ARB's will break the standard drop links)?
the problem you will have if you use standard plastic drop links,whether front or rear . the plastic ones will twist ,loosing the benifit of the whiteline uprated roll bar ,thats why you are better fitting alloy drop links
you increase roll stiffness well over the standard bar sometimes as much as 200% + depending in thickness .thers no piont in uprating the bar if you loose the roll stiffness gained by poor quality parts .also the shore hardness of the rubber bushes on the subaru plastic links is much lower than the poly type
cheers geo
Old 25 August 2009, 09:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Geo just sell him a pair of front ply bushed drop-links....

LOL

dunx
Old 25 August 2009, 10:53 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Geo just sell him a pair of front ply bushed drop-links....

LOL

dunx
you should be a salesman lol
Old 26 August 2009, 12:30 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

ME !

dunx

P.S. I do have a better "trader score" than you
Old 28 August 2009, 08:19 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help chaps.

I was thinking of changing back to the standard ARB purely because I was under the impression the standard drop links would break with the whiteline bar, plus the fact I could swap back to both standard items and it won't cost me anything. As I don't drive the car that hard I probably wont notice much difference, if any, which ARB I have on the car.

Geo - come on then, what will a set of front drop links cost me (for a 2004 UK STI)?
Old 28 August 2009, 10:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Around the £80 mark I can't find my invoice from Geo....

Sorry !

dunx