Notices

22mm v's 24mm rear anti roll bar.

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2014 | 11:49 PM
steviechi
Scooby Regular

Default 22mm v's 24mm rear anti roll bar.

I have 55 WRX wagon with 368bhp. Only road use and everyday car.

Uprated brakes and suspension, (Whitline ARB, lowered springs, Roll centre kit, solid drop links).

Presently have Whiteline 20mm front ARB and 22mm adjustable rear ARB set on max hardness.

Car still rolls a little too much much - so was thinking to upgrade to 22mm front and 24mm rear ARB.

Will this give a noticeable difference in handling and roll stiffness?
Old 09 January 2014 | 09:06 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

22 and 24mm sounds good and should be a noticeable improvement, I believe Jura on here had this exact set up on his high power newage wagon so hopefully will comment.

What springs and dampers do you have? Obviously your better controlling the roll by the ARBs as you are doing but If your dampers/springs are a little soft it won't be helping
Old 09 January 2014 | 09:37 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

If you are just after a like for like comparison, I have just upgraded my 05 STi from 22mm rear to 25mm and the difference is very noticeable. I have a 22mm on the front and not altered the damper settings. The car corners as flat as a witches t!t

Beware it might make the car a little more tail-twitchy in the wet though.
Old 09 January 2014 | 12:27 PM
steviechi
Scooby Regular

Got std dampers which may certainly be limiting factor.
Fitted with Apex springs.

And strangely enough it is Jura ARB's I was thinking of buying (already got the front and rear strut braces from him) so I'm expecting him to say 'great improvement'.

Thinking twitchy tail in the wet isn't big problem, since I don't corner anywhere near the limits more in case my mom is driving in the opposite direction (and in the middle of the road as she does sometimes bless her), but might be a problem if it can be provoked too easily.

I was more thinking that with std dampers they won't be up on the job, as the other option is something like kW dampers or better where low speed and high speed damping can be adjusted to give more comfortable ride quality.
Old 09 January 2014 | 01:14 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Ah OK lol, well if it's a good deal I say go for it, I'm sure you'll notice the difference but wouldn't expect it to be night and day over the current set up especially given as you say you don't push the car particularly hard. The other option would be to stay as you are but get some adjustable dampers on there which should give you a well rounded set up and a good base to then decide which areas to focus on.

Have you fitted an anti-lift kit? Also what wheels/tyres are you on?
Old 09 January 2014 | 10:57 PM
steviechi
Scooby Regular

No - I didnt fit the anti-lift kit as I looked into the specs and the geometry changes they offer and they don't remove some of the effect of the lower ball joint to counteract the geometry changes for lowering the front.

Also I'm not 100% sure of the advantages since they dont actually as most people expected - they allow more lift and droop in the front of the car (so probably better when used with stiffer front and read springs (which allow less weight transfer?)
[The mechanics are a little tough to explain, but in short the front wheels will droop a little more on acceleration (making the front end stick more), and the nose of the car will dive a little more under braking (again making the front end stick more). This makes your Subaru more neutral and less prone to wash out the front end under hard cornering when braking or accelerating.]

For wheels and tyres 18" x 8 with 225/40 x 18 Falken tyres - at almost arch-rubbing offset..
Old 29 January 2014 | 09:03 AM
GaryH1981
Scooby Newbie

I'm running the same setup in my 04 blob Steve, std shocks (freshly fitted before I bought the car) and Apex springs. I was thinking of upgrading to the 22mm front and 24mm rear ARB too. Haven't bought the front strut brace yet but will do soon I expect. If you do this setup please post up your findings Thanks