Newage suspension(?) knocking

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2014, 07:27 PM
NickyB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage suspension(?) knocking

Hi all,

First off, I have searched. I've spent hours searching here and google, but I just want to run this past you for sanity.

I love my Impreza, 2002 WRX but I'm a tiny bit unsure whether I want to swap it in for a newer wagon and for that reason I'm slightly reserved about spending a lot on new suspension.

It recently developed a noise, without noticing any difference in the ride or comfort or anything. It sounded like the exhaust banging against the underside so I replaced the exhaust mounts with Powerflex ones. It made no difference, so upon reading the forum I replaced the drop links and rear ARB bushes - still no difference. I had the seats out and the top mounts look ok too.

With all the searching, I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion I'm going to have to do the shocks aren't I? Is there anything else reasonably easy to fix at home, and cheaper that I should be looking at first?

It doesn't overly sway or make noises if you rock the car by standing on a sill for example. With the wheel on the ground, if you grab the wheel and rock (really really hard) it makes that noise a bit. Lastly, you know that judder when reversing and you haven't quite got the clutch point right? It does it then, so not just over potholes and such.

Sorry for the essay, advice is very much appreciated though!
Old 10 February 2014, 09:20 PM
pdqrs2000
Scooby Newbie

Doing the shocks isn't a bad job. Did mine on my 2001 wagon yesterday. Just make sure you have plusgas and a very long breaker bar to hand for those lower 19mm bolts. My 1000nm windy gun couldnt budge them so had to resort to the scaffold pole!

My shocks came from camskill and I thought were quite reasonably priced.
Old 12 February 2014, 10:16 AM
NickyB
Scooby Newbie

Thanks pdqrs2000, I've found a used set on ebay (from an STI, so hoping they'll fit). If I keep the car it can have something nicer next time around.

Is there anything else I should be swapping at the same time?
Old 14 February 2014, 08:14 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Is it a Knock or more of a clunk ?

Hmm When I got my car , I noticed an occasional clunk , in particular when I pulled away. and a slow speeds 10 mph .

This indeed turned out to be the shock absorber at the rear.

The design is not too good and even the replacements on the Net are not well loved by most of us. Its hard to say if this is your particular problem but before spending money on replacement shocks . You could put that cash toward a set of coilovers. I did this and it was a dream solution , noise gone , handling really improved, slightly lowered still comfortable , and I got the uneven tire wear sorted on the geometry check.

Trouble is that's going to set you back almost 800 notes , but if your keeping the car worthwhile in my view.

Just a view point , nice if you have the cash. Regards Linksfahrer
Old 14 February 2014, 08:52 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You need to do the grease nipple mod if your happy with the ride
Old 21 February 2014, 07:18 PM
NickyB
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Linksfahrer, great reply. I grabbed a set of used suspension on eBay, fitted it as my MOT is due this month. It seemed such a great difference straight away and the knocking went but about two days later a different noise came in, and I can sort of feel it on stopping (could also be attributed to the wheel bearing the garage told me I need). The garage also told me this set need to be replaced.

I've been against coilovers because I thought it would make a harsh ride. I've got a 5 year old and I'm not exactly the driver I used to be either (I'm supposed to behave like someone's mum now right?) so I wanted something quite normal. Secondly the money, the car's got to be worth around £2k so I don't want to spend over half of that for this MOT. I wouldn't mind if I were keeping it but I'm thinking about something else soon anyway! Decisions to be made - thanks for your reply anyway
Old 21 February 2014, 07:27 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Hi Nicky,

We're you at Subaru4U today? I was the chap with my car on the rolling road.

With regards to the knocking shocks, and this is by far the most temporary fix before anyone on here jumps in - I purchased some white lithium grease in a spray can from halfords, jacked the car up so the top part of the struts were accesable in the wheel arch and sprayed a liberal amount in both sides. I stopped them from knocking once the grease worked its way down the shocks and applied once every 2 weeks. Ended up paying 400 for 2 OE shocks after 4 months prior to selling.

Hope that helps Nicky

Regards
Neil
2010 WRX STI saloon
Old 21 February 2014, 10:50 PM
NickyB
Scooby Newbie

Yes, I was going to comment on your power graph thread, I think I saw them on the desk! Thanks for the reply
Old 22 February 2014, 09:24 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 243 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes spraying with lithium grease will at least confirm its the shocks knocking before you rush out to buy new ones