Old 22 May 2014, 06:52 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offside driveshaft....

****Moderators I'll put this in the proper "Wanted" section
On here of you wish, just thought i'd ask locally first :-)***

Evening all,
Doing some jobs on the car today, one of them being replacement of my offside driveshaft gaitor (the one closest to the Hub). I he a complete sod of a job trying to knock the old driveshaft out of the hub (cars now 17 years old so suppose it's to be expected), it's proper rusted in there. Ive now removed the Caliper, steering/track rod and Wishobne from the hub, and now have the hub in the back of my van to give it some heat off my blow lamp etc and try a d get it removed, which leads me on. ...

It'll be far easier for me to replace the driveshaft (as the existing has a lot of crud, swarf etc and is pretty dry to to the loss of the lithium grease), as well as the hub assembly, as that's all pretty rusty and a little worse for wear aswell. So does anyone local have a driveshaft and hub assembly (with abs hole) compatible with my 97 Wrx (import)?? I think it'll be wise whatever happens to replace the wheel bearing aswell considering everything is out.

Cheers
Rob
Old 22 May 2014, 07:02 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Give Dean or Dan at Three Arches a ring. They have an aladdins cave of bits down there.
Old 22 May 2014, 07:08 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Give Dean or Dan at Three Arches a ring. They have an aladdins cave of bits down there.

Good call Ian, I'll give them a call tomorrow if I have no luck tonight.
Old 22 May 2014, 08:05 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Ty used to have an amazing release agent, give some of that a go.

Since you have your hub you may as well retain it, if your going to replace the bearing anyway?
Also
Use your drive shaft and a new CV from a motor factors. Will help keep costs down to a minimum.

when smacking the shaft out keep the nut on for as long as posible so as to not damage the threads, keep the top of the nut slighty proud of the thread/shaft.
Old 22 May 2014, 10:27 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob, I have a complete hub assy here but not sure which side though I'll have to check tomorrow but I do know it's in perfect working order with no bearing noise as it's currently on my car. I bought it to trace a problem so I'm going to put the original one back on the car.
Old 22 May 2014, 10:33 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
Ty used to have an amazing release agent, give some of that a go.

Since you have your hub you may as well retain it, if your going to replace the bearing anyway?
Also
Use your drive shaft and a new CV from a motor factors. Will help keep costs down to a minimum.

when smacking the shaft out keep the nut on for as long as posible so as to not damage the threads, keep the top of the nut slighty proud of the thread/shaft.

I was just thinking from a saving time/ money point of view, Driveshafts I've seen for sale with breakers are circa £25, if I had a hub then aswell it would save me messing about parting the shaft from the hub.
and as I say the hub is looking pretty battered from lack of cleaning etc over the years.

I'll see if anyone has the complete assembly, if not and I can't get a shaft I'll look into a new cv.

Thanks for the advice

P.s I'll be putting a new hub nut on anyway so don't care if that ends up battered lol

Last edited by The Sheep Worrier; 22 May 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 22 May 2014, 10:50 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peter Pan
Hi Rob, I have a complete hub assy here but not sure which side though I'll have to check tomorrow but I do know it's in perfect working order with no bearing noise as it's currently on my car. I bought it to trace a problem so I'm going to put the original one back on the car.
Superb, thankyou Jay. Yeah if you could let me know that'd be grand.