Notices

Temp gauge up on MAX !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2005, 06:56 AM
Rooshkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Temp gauge up on MAX !!!

Just had a full service with cam on my '00 turbo and everything was great until this morning when I drove to work & my temp gauge was right up to the max.

I dont think there's anything wrong but maybe they've not connected something back up in the service or something similar. She's drinking a lot of fuel as well, I had a quarter of a tank this morning and that soon went down a lot quicker than usual. I'll take it back but I'm in work at mo and wondered if it was anything simple !

Any ideas guys ?
Old 12 August 2005, 06:08 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

First thing to check is you've got coolant. Same happended to me where a join had split on the Rad and lost all the coolant.

simb
Old 13 August 2005, 06:26 AM
Rooshkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simb 2
First thing to check is you've got coolant. Same happended to me where a join had split on the Rad and lost all the coolant.

simb
That was my initial thought. Its going back in this morning anyway whether they like it or not. I topped the water back up last night and took it for a spin. The engine management light came on but the temp gauge was normal, the light only went off when I was on the home stretch so I'm wondering if its corrected itself with the top-up.

Cheers.
Old 17 August 2005, 04:00 PM
Rooshkins
Scooby Regular

simb
It was the coolant level, just hadnt run it enough after the service to check the flow through and it had a bit of an air-lock as well ! Temp fine now.

Only prob is, is that my 'check engine' light is coming on for a few seconds at a time now. I checked the oil level this morning and it was way over the mark .... could this be the reason ??
Old 17 August 2005, 05:56 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Drop the oil level asap, It can cause **** loads of problems,

I Had the same, garage put too much oil in, it turns out the oil should be checked when the engine is warm, I think they say after 5 minutes of running, So they are supposed to put in 4.5 liters, run engine for 5 minutes and take a reading, then top up if needed, I think it gives a faulse reading if not warmed up.

On mine it got rid of some of the excess oil by breathing, but this process releases the oil vapor back through the intercooler, this was then coming out through the VTA BOV, meaning I had oil vapor in the engine bay, this then contaminated my K&N leading to a MAF failer.

Had to have the intercooler removed and cleaned, Had to remove the VTA BOV and replace with standard Recir BOV, Had to clean the K&N, New MAF. They did say they would never be able to get al of the oil out of the Intercooler.
Still getting oil vapor even after a year, Thinking of a oil catch tank now and a new intercooler (FMIC!!!)

It can lead to the Boost soleniod getting gunged up and loads of other problems.
Old 18 August 2005, 03:26 AM
Rooshkins
Scooby Regular

Cheers pal, its going straight back in tomorrow when I get up and they can sort it out. I've already rang the garage to tell them to expect me !

Thanks.
Old 18 August 2005, 04:34 PM
Buck Rogers
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Overfill

I've just suffered a big end failure on my '97 turbo wagon and I was told that one of the possible causes was an earlier oil overfill: engine out/strip/new short engine/rebuild, plus new clutch (while it's out), couple of ancillaries, labour and VAT - five weeks off the road and £4,000 bill!!!

Good news is I'll be back on the road next week... bad news (apart from above) is that I'll be driving it like an old lady for the forseeable future, cos I can't afford the air for the tyres... ;-)

Buck

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2005, 04:43 PM
Rooshkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers
I've just suffered a big end failure on my '97 turbo wagon and I was told that one of the possible causes was an earlier oil overfill: engine out/strip/new short engine/rebuild, plus new clutch (while it's out), couple of ancillaries, labour and VAT - five weeks off the road and £4,000 bill!!!

Good news is I'll be back on the road next week... bad news (apart from above) is that I'll be driving it like an old lady for the forseeable future, cos I can't afford the air for the tyres... ;-)

Buck
I got back from the garage a few hours ago and they pumped about a pint of oil out until it was just under the mark. Hopefully it hasnt done any longterm damage though, seems to be ok at the mo .... touch wood (hand on head !!)
Old 18 August 2005, 04:56 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Result!!! are you still getting the check engine light now they have dropped the oil level???
Old 18 August 2005, 06:52 PM
Rooshkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Result!!! are you still getting the check engine light now they have dropped the oil level???
Nah, just drove to work (Newport to Cardiff) and not a sausage. Took it quite steady though cos this has made me a bit nervous !!

Should be cool though. I gave it a blast on the last stretch to work and it responded lovely.

Cheers guys
Old 18 August 2005, 07:01 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Cool, glad everything seems okay now, just asking but which garage was it that over filled???
Old 18 August 2005, 11:51 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Buck
I know the feeling mate, same thing i'm going through at present, who's doing your work?

simb
Old 19 August 2005, 12:29 PM
Buck Rogers
Scooby Regular

I know the feeling mate, same thing i'm going through at present, who's doing your work?

simb
DRJ in Johnstown, just outside Carmarthen, are doing it - I've had work done there before and always been happy with them; they usually work out about half the price of main dealers. Who's doing yours?

Buck
Old 19 August 2005, 02:10 PM
Rooshkins
Scooby Regular

Cool, glad everything seems okay now, just asking but which garage was it that over filled???
It was autofix in Newport, just over the new bridge. They were very good but obviously new to the subaru game. They've just started taking on subaru parts and such so its a bit of a learning curve for them but overall they did a fantastic job at a very good price.

Gary the guy that runs it said himself yesterday that so many different cars react in different ways its just a case of getting used to scooby's so they can branch out more to us guys.
Old 19 August 2005, 02:43 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

simb
whats wrong with the beast Si?

Have you seen the group buy on 2.5 bottom ends???? seems a pretty good price.
Old 19 August 2005, 02:47 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rooshkins
It was autofix in Newport, just over the new bridge. They were very good but obviously new to the subaru game. They've just started taking on subaru parts and such so its a bit of a learning curve for them but overall they did a fantastic job at a very good price.

Gary the guy that runs it said himself yesterday that so many different cars react in different ways its just a case of getting used to scooby's so they can branch out more to us guys.
no problems, all engines are pretty much the same and most garage's can do most jobs, the only thing about a non subaru garage is access to diagnosis tools and software for the ecu.
Who'd of thought you had to take the oil reading on a warm engine?? Atleast they know about oil levels for next time.
Old 19 August 2005, 05:44 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

DRJ in Johnstown, just outside Carmarthen, are doing it - I've had work done there before and always been happy with them; they usually work out about half the price of main dealers. Who's doing yours?

Buck

Not decided yet, i'm still in the middle of calling all the major players at present.

simb
Old 19 August 2005, 05:46 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

whats wrong with the beast Si?

Have you seen the group buy on 2.5 bottom ends???? seems a pretty good price.

Big end's gone mate, just exploring all options at present and thats one of them. Just trying to way up the pro's and con's. Luckily I have the luxury of time so not desperate to get it done so going to do my research, then make a sensible decision.

simb
Old 19 August 2005, 06:24 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Big end's gone mate, just exploring all options at present and thats one of them. Just trying to way up the pro's and con's. Luckily I have the luxury of time so not desperate to get it done so going to do my research, then make a sensible decision.

simb
Gutted for ya mate. hope you get her back on the road soon,

First daz without a car and now you, what the world coming too???? your not going to buy a mondeo as a run around are you????

If your goner break her I'll have first dibs on the exhaust, brakes, rear lights and wheels!!!!! you can keep the wireless/stereo!!!!!!!!

see you soon
Old 19 August 2005, 06:36 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Gutted for ya mate. hope you get her back on the road soon,

First daz without a car and now you, what the world coming too???? your not going to buy a mondeo as a run around are you????

If your goner break her I'll have first dibs on the exhaust, brakes, rear lights and wheels!!!!! you can keep the wireless/stereo!!!!!!!!

see you soon

Breaking her is not an option, I would'nt dream of it. I already have a Nissan cherry anyway as a runaround...and I get called a tart!!

simb
Old 22 August 2005, 02:52 PM
Buck Rogers
Scooby Regular

Smile

Not decided yet, i'm still in the middle of calling all the major players at present.

simb
Picking mine up this afternoon - I'll post some feedback in couple of days when I've had a chance to drive it, give it a good look over, work out what's cost what, etc.

Buck
Old 22 August 2005, 03:14 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Breaking her is not an option, I would'nt dream of it. I already have a Nissan cherry anyway as a runaround...and I get called a tart!!

simb
TART!!!!!
Old 22 August 2005, 06:03 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Picking mine up this afternoon - I'll post some feedback in couple of days when I've had a chance to drive it, give it a good look over, work out what's cost what, etc.

Buck

Thanks mate

simb
Old 22 August 2005, 09:57 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

Thanks mate

simb
TART