Notices

speed camera alert systems

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 12:04 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question speed camera alert systems

hi every one i need some help on which camera alert systems are the best value for money,there are so many out there now i dont know where to start, what makes are any good and what cams can they detect and from how far away,also do i need to suscribe to something if i had one,and do they really work
Old 13 May 2006, 12:14 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hang on your thinking the wrong way around the main feature is the GPS based system that is based on where you are rather than what they see, the system gets all the camera locations (not van) but all the fixed one's from a data base you download this off the net from the camera site.... then the system works via GPS you drive and it knows where it is and alerts you to camera sites and blackspots.
The other pat of the system is the laser alert side, the sensor on the system know's when you have been targeted but 9 times out of 10 I would say that's to late then to do anything about it. This is the side of detectors they are talking about banning.
The other good point is you get another speedo reading that can be more accurate than your dash board dials.

Best thing I ever bought going down the motorway through the roadworks those pesky fixed cameras that are hard to spot... not any more and Gatso's around and about in general.

Old 13 May 2006, 04:39 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

thanx for the info si, do you know if the snoopers are any good or are there better ones out there as im only looking to spend around 150 any help will be greatfull as these cars could sure lose your licence fast and you wont even know it till it comes through the door these gadgets must be better than nothing at all
Old 13 May 2006, 05:50 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

I've got a snooper and a GPS (tom tom) system...

The snooper is GREAT at picking up the Gatso's (telling you whether they are 'live' or not......)

BUT... I understand (and have seen) the 'new ones' down the M5 that DO NOT use the Gatso system, but sensors under the road......

They are slightly smaller....... but same colour...... BUT the Gps will take care of these....

The distance at which the snopper detects a gatso can vary from 50 yards to 500yards..... depending on environment...

If it is a VERY wide open space and the gatso is facing away from you.. (i.e. to 'catch' you.....) it will detect it quite late.... or at least tell you it is 'live quite late.....

On the other hand..... if it is a terraced street, then the 'radio' waves are 'channeled and not allowed to escape.....

If the gatso is 'catching' people on the other side of the road (facing you) it detects it from a GOOD distance... a few hundred yards

by the way......... it's all to remind me to check my speedo to confirm i am still below the speed limit

It is by NO means a Clingon Cloaking device, but it can be a 'line of defence'

Phil
Old 14 May 2006, 12:07 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

I've got a Snooper S3. The GPS is great although I drive the M4 from J32 to J13 Newbury so much I turn the volume down as it goes off on nearly every gantry and I am looking before it goes off anyway! The laser detector has never gone off mind you so a radar detector would be good but might not be legal for long.
Check http://snooper.intranetics.co.uk/whi...r-detector.htm for model. The S6 or the evolution look good value for money although there are cheaper alternatives that use the free GPS databases you can get off the web.
Happy shopping.

Gazz.
Old 14 May 2006, 04:21 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I've just got a NEW ROAD ANGEL and so far its been fantastic!! I've been round all the GATSO's I know of in the area and it picked up every one. I cant comment on the laser detection aspect of the unit cos I haven't come across any mobile traps yet. Got it 2nd hand off eBay for £120 so I cant argue with the value of it either! That would be my advice, decide on which make and model you want and have a look on eBay for a bargain!!