Notices

cold air induction / dump valve

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2006, 12:58 PM
REZBOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air induction / dump valve

Guys, my mate has asked me to fit cold air induction and a dump valve to his 02 plate sti ppp ( not bug eye ), I am concerned that the car may need a re map once these bits are on - is this right or will the car perform just as well ???

Been out of the Scooby circle for a while....

Cheers

Rezboy
Old 27 June 2006, 01:06 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REZBOY
Guys, my mate has asked me to fit cold air induction and a dump valve to his 02 plate sti ppp ( not bug eye ), I am concerned that the car may need a re map once these bits are on - is this right or will the car perform just as well ???

Been out of the Scooby circle for a while....

Cheers

Rezboy
The chances are that it wont perform as well even with a remap, the o/e cold air feed on a newage is actually quite good my advice would be leave it as it is.
As for the dump valve again the o/e one is ok with no advantage in changing it unless your looking for the WOOSH sound.
IMO
Old 27 June 2006, 02:00 PM
REZBOY
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I was not aware that the induction is cold air on any impreza as standard ???
the air box is in the engine bay and will pull in warmer air from the engine bay... other after market induction kits that have filters that sit in the engine bay are a complete waste of time and you are best off fitting a better quality filter in the standard air box, however when relocating the air filter down within the front wing this should reduce the temperature of the air that is being sourced... I am running aps cold air on my evo and the power graph before and after showed a slight increase in BHP but the temp of the air that was being pulled into the filter was much lower. WRC technologies recommend the aps cold air and fit this to any evo's that have the power upgrade.
Yes unfortunatly he does want the silly woosh sound, many of the evo boys are now running their cars with no dump valve at all !! some very interesting threads regarding this on evo net...
Old 27 June 2006, 04:41 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

WRC sell APS kits so they want you to buy one.
The big black scoop above the right head light is the cold air feed on a Newage WRX. It goes down into the wing then back to the airbox. But hey it's your butty's car.
Old 27 June 2006, 08:20 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL i can tell you is that when i was planning my mods i made enquires to several respected subaru tuners and they all told me the same, unless you are planning BIG mods the standard air box does the job fine, but its up to you.
I was also told that if i did go for an APS or the like CAI i would need a remap.
Good luck
Old 28 June 2006, 01:27 PM
REZBOY
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lads, as I though would need a remap so he is best off waiting till wrc do all the engine work and then do the jobs all at once...

Rezboy
Old 28 June 2006, 04:54 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do mate is keep the standard airbox but remove the resonator box.

I am a new member on here and a new scooby owner, and one of the first things i wanted was a dump valve..... How wrong could i be, the dump valve issue is very contraversial on this site, and most of the experianced scoob owners do not recommend them at all!! But if he wanted the Ptshh sound like me, his best option is to remove the resonator box located in the drivers side wing.

Do a search for ''resonator removal'' on this site and you should find a link to the instructions of how to do this, It does actually benefit the car also, as it eliminates most of the hot air that is drawn in by the engine.

Hope this helps, as it benefitted me. Any problems let me know and i will e-mail you the document as i downloaded it to do mine.
Old 03 July 2006, 01:52 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly you need a remap strieght away with the APS induction kit, Ie no driving apart from the mapping, something to do with increased air flow and things going pop within a couple of miles