Notices

Coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2006, 09:17 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coil packs

What sort of life span do coil packs have?. As my car has started to run badly jerking when on full boost and knock level at 50% on my FC commander. So decided to investigate tonight and removed all spark plugs and clean up and regapped. On further inspection all four coil packs are showing lots of signs of wear and decided not to refit them and order new ones. How long does everyone find these coil packs last before they start breaking down as mine are crumbling.
Old 07 November 2006, 09:26 PM
tay05
Scooby Regular

Think mine may be on the way out too. Just bought some new NGK PFR7B's and gapped them down to 0.5 mm on the advice of Andy F, gettin them fitted this wk along with a new clutch £££££, hopefully this will cure the missing, if not its a new set of coil packs.
Keep me updated on the price and where u get them from Jon, cheers.
Taylor.
Old 07 November 2006, 09:46 PM
Bubbaroo
Scooby Regular

funny enough ive been trying to sort out a missfire on my mates early wrx over the last few days. changed the plugs for denso 0.4's cleaned the boost control valve out. then inspected the coil packs. local subaru dealer had them on the shelf at £58 +vat each. cheaper than most of the direct replacements and better quality.
hope this helps.
Old 15 November 2006, 09:57 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Default New coil packs fitted.

Originally Posted by tay05
Think mine may be on the way out too. Just bought some new NGK PFR7B's and gapped them down to 0.5 mm on the advice of Andy F, gettin them fitted this wk along with a new clutch £££££, hopefully this will cure the missing, if not its a new set of coil packs.
Keep me updated on the price and where u get them from Jon, cheers.
Taylor.
Fitted new coil packs and regapped my spark plugs to 0.5mm today. Only for the engine to cut out once on full boost, the engine flooded and seems to be due to a weak spark. So pulled all the plugs out again and regapped to 0.7mm only for the car to jerk slightly when coming onto full boost. Which I guess is due to the spark escaping because of the gap being too big. So regapped to 0.65mm and all seems to be working well with a smooth power delivery, so I would imagne your car to be the same so to save you time regap to 0.65mm and not 0.5mm. As for the coil packs I bought from CVC Cardiff and they took two days to order and cost 274 pounds including VAT.
Old 16 November 2006, 03:06 PM
tay05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluerigster
Fitted new coil packs and regapped my spark plugs to 0.5mm today. Only for the engine to cut out once on full boost, the engine flooded and seems to be due to a weak spark. So pulled all the plugs out again and regapped to 0.7mm only for the car to jerk slightly when coming onto full boost. Which I guess is due to the spark escaping because of the gap being too big. So regapped to 0.65mm and all seems to be working well with a smooth power delivery, so I would imagne your car to be the same so to save you time regap to 0.65mm and not 0.5mm. As for the coil packs I bought from CVC Cardiff and they took two days to order and cost 274 pounds including VAT.
Cheers for the info Jon, had my clutch done last wk and had a new set of NGK PFR7B's put in and gapped down to 0.5mm. All seems to be well, no clutch slipping and no more missing. Mine seems to like the new 0.5mm gap so hopefully the coil packs will be ok
Taylor.
Old 16 November 2006, 05:56 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tay05
Cheers for the info Jon, had my clutch done last wk and had a new set of NGK PFR7B's put in and gapped down to 0.5mm. All seems to be well, no clutch slipping and no more missing. Mine seems to like the new 0.5mm gap so hopefully the coil packs will be ok
Taylor.
The gapping difference must be due to different spark plugs, I've got HKS iridium types which are made by denso or it maybe the different engine size.
Good to hear you have sort the car out though.