Notices

Hello! From Vancouver Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2008, 06:53 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello! From Vancouver Canada

Long time! Just a quick hi to the Welsh crew. Moved from Wales in 2000 and now live in beautiful BC Canada. Miss the friends and pubs. Still involved with rallying out here in fact worked for a local rally team tuning Subarus! Used to mod the 22b.com forums back in the day. Cheers for now, here's my current ride at 230 WHP/ft-lbs on a Dyno Dynamics dyno uncorrected.

Hwyl,

Gethin.
Old 11 July 2008, 08:32 PM
WR1JLD
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.

Nice ride

Thinking of moving out to Canada myself.

Is it a nice place to live? I suppose you must think so if you have been there so long

Julian

Last edited by WR1JLD; 11 July 2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11 July 2008, 09:08 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Hi Gethyn. Nice to see you haven't forgot your roots. You can take the boy out of Wales, but you can't take Wales..... and all that!
Old 11 July 2008, 10:11 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11 July 2008, 10:34 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah it's a nice place to live. Happily married and settled down.

Very close to Whistler too. People are open minded, very multicultural and if you're into the outdoors (camping, mountain biking, kayaking, Skiing etc) it rocks. I take the Jeep Rubicon offroading and there are lots of places to go and explore, old mines, trails etc.

Petrol used to be cheap here, but it's slowly catching up to UK prices. It was 50c per litre back in 2000 now it's close to $1.40 per litre. It's cheaper though in other parts of Canada. It's just over $1.00 over the border to the US.

Yeah absolutely not forgotten my roots, I'm still a Welshman in Canada !

Gethin.

Originally Posted by WR1JLD
Hi mate.

Nice ride

Thinking of moving out to Canada myself.

Is it a nice place to live? I suppose you must think so if you have been there so long

Julian
Old 11 July 2008, 10:40 PM
WR1JLD
Scooby Regular

Gethin

What is the climate like over there as my mrs say its cold all the time. I can imagine it is warmer in the south but what is it like in general.

Cheers
Julian
Old 11 July 2008, 10:57 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

The climate varies wildly since it's such a big place! It can vary from extremely hot and extremely cold depending on where you are. Southern BC is quite mild and temps don't sway too much. Sunny summers and rainy winters with lots of snow on the mountains. Downtown Vancouver gets a few days of snow a year.

It's 26 here downtown Vancouver right now and around 30 1hr drive inland where I live. It's going to be 28 tomorrow and 32-33 inland. Typically July/Aug/Sep are warm - hot here and people are generally in shorts - tshirt. If you head further inland it's even hotter. From Nov-April it's typically rainy / cloudy in the Vancouver / lower mainland area with guaranteed snow on all the local mountains to play in. There are pockets however which generally stay dryish even in winter, so you can pick a place to live that suits your tastes. Vancouver island has a nice climate, especially places like Comox. In the Okanagan valley, few hours drive from Vancouver, where they grow grapes and make wine it's very dry and hot in the summer. East Canada gets very hot and very cold winter time too.

I spent some time Skiing in Alberta in February just outside Calgary it was around -40 with wind chill on top of that.......quite chilly! In Alberta it can be -25 one day and +25 the next - I'm not kidding as they have this weird weather pattern called Chinook.

But in general weather in the Vancouver area is nice. It's nice to be able to plan weekends away to go camping, bar-b-q etc and know that it's going to be nice.

Doesn't seem to get damp here like back home, so I guess not as humid.
Old 11 July 2008, 11:04 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Hi gethin, glad your enjoying over there, the roads near whistler especially the pass between granville and whistler are superb for a nice hearted drive.

If i could i'd move to whistler i would but its abit pricey, though its such a beatiful place and like you said the people are genuinely nice peeps, plus the views you have, WOW!!!
Old 11 July 2008, 11:05 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Oh and in the winter, we take the cars a few hours north to the ice lake to race, it's around -30 there

Stick on some sticky ice tires and have fun!

http://70.71.104.243/photogallery/gethin.jpg

plenty sideways !

http://70.71.104.243/photogallery/Ra...e%20Lake31.jpg

Last edited by Gethin; 11 July 2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11 July 2008, 11:08 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

yeah they're making the "sea to sky" highway much smoother ready for the 2010 Olympics! Lots of construction.

Whistler village area itself is getting very pricey with nice homes closing in on a million!

Originally Posted by matscooby
Hi gethin, glad your enjoying over there, the roads near whistler especially the pass between granville and whistler are superb for a nice hearted drive.

If i could i'd move to whistler i would but its abit pricey, though its such a beatiful place and like you said the people are genuinely nice peeps, plus the views you have, WOW!!!
Old 11 July 2008, 11:19 PM
WR1JLD
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.
Thanks for the info, you have inspired me to take the family for a visit maybe next year.
What is the scooby scene like with you? are you a member of any clubs?

Julian
Old 11 July 2008, 11:24 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

I Would of thought they would of finished that by now, though saying that was it closed much over the winter period ? as we kept seeing signs saying that the pass might be closed due to avalanches in the winter period.

I was only there for 2 weeks, but mainly to see family in Richmond.

It wasnt enought time to see all the places, we managed to goto Vancouver island, Whistler, Banf and Calgary, though travelling across the rockies was an experience of a lifetime and it must be done slowly to take it all in.

Anyway enough about that, how do you manage on the fuel octane over there because if i remember isnt 91octane the highest you can get.
Old 11 July 2008, 11:26 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by WR1JLD
Hi mate.
Thanks for the info, you have inspired me to take the family for a visit maybe next year.
What is the scooby scene like with you? are you a member of any clubs?

Julian
Julian its well worth a visit believe me
Old 11 July 2008, 11:30 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Well if you're coming over for a holiday let me know we can meet up and I'll give you a list of some cool places to visit. I work downtown Vancouver at Black Box, which is a EA games studio, every Friday we have "beer and cake" so you can come for a cold one!

I've been a member of the NASIOC club since Nov 2000 which has a VERY active local Vancouver section.

Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC - NASIOC

Langley is the town I live in has a very active car culture and the "Langley cruise in" happens yearly where cars from all over North America come and participate. Oh, and the local hells angels are meeting this weekend as their HQ is here too lol

I meet with the Scooby boys usually bi-weekly and discuss nonsense over a few beers!

The WRX / STi has been available here since 2001 and last week they quashed the Canadian bumper laws so EVO's, Skylines etc can be imported from the USA now legally. Before this only EVO 10's were allowed. So the next few years will be interesting.
Old 11 July 2008, 11:35 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Yeah lots of places to explore. The sea to sky improvements are done probably 2009.

You can get up to 94 PON here in most stations but the PON/MON/RON rating thing isn't the same as the UK. 94 PON is like 98 RON I believe. They do ethanol blends too up to 10% in some stations. And also E85. I'm installing WI soon so I can use regular old 92.

Originally Posted by matscooby
I Would of thought they would of finished that by now, though saying that was it closed much over the winter period ? as we kept seeing signs saying that the pass might be closed due to avalanches in the winter period.

I was only there for 2 weeks, but mainly to see family in Richmond.

It wasnt enought time to see all the places, we managed to goto Vancouver island, Whistler, Banf and Calgary, though travelling across the rockies was an experience of a lifetime and it must be done slowly to take it all in.

Anyway enough about that, how do you manage on the fuel octane over there because if i remember isnt 91octane the highest you can get.

Last edited by Gethin; 11 July 2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11 July 2008, 11:42 PM
WR1JLD
Scooby Regular

My wife has just wet herself looking at The white bugeye owned by Happydays
She just loves this model and that is very nice.
Old 12 July 2008, 07:48 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gethin
Long time! Just a quick hi to the Welsh crew. Moved from Wales in 2000 and now live in beautiful BC Canada. Miss the friends and pubs. Still involved with rallying out here in fact worked for a local rally team tuning Subarus! Used to mod the 22b.com forums back in the day. Cheers for now, here's my current ride at 230 WHP/ft-lbs on a Dyno Dynamics dyno uncorrected.

Hwyl,

Gethin.
Hi Gethin..... your in a great part of the world it has to be said

I was in Barrie Ontario last summer visiting friends who have also moved over there from Wales, there are quite a few Welsh people about you can spot them by the number plates
Old 16 July 2008, 10:38 PM
CristalTips
Scooby Regular

Hi Gethin / Everyone
New to scoobynet but thought i'd say "hi" as we are also thinking of moving across the water. Alberta's where our heart lies - tis true about those weird weather patterns though.
Canada is a wonderful place that everyone should visit sometime.

Sharon
Old 20 July 2008, 06:10 PM
scandinavian flick
Scooby Regular

I was up at Whistler boarding in april .. fantastic! The views as you come back towards vancouver, squamish ish area... wow! you live in an awsome playground!

JM