Notices

Cold Weather = fuel leak/smell

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2010, 02:48 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather = fuel leak/smell

As the weather has been quite cold recently, I've noticed a smell of fuel during my 1st 5 minutes of driving (Bug WRX 2001). A little bit of searching has found that this is a common problem (see link below) and Subaru even had a bulletin about it.
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ell-issue.html

What I want to know is;
- Has anyone else had the problem?
- Can I fix this by just replacing the old rubber pipe with new rubber pipe and some better clamps?
- Anything to be wary of when whipping the inlet manifold off?

Another interesting thread with loads of pics of the bulletin, work in in progress and possible real cause, the fuel pressure reg.
http://www.scoobymods.com/fuel_smell...6.html?p=10035

I'll go and take a good look at my car tomorrow morning when it's super frosty to see if I can see any drips in the expected places. Can't wait.
Old 05 January 2010, 04:57 PM
wrxgreen
Scooby Regular

yes this time last year had to take all the inlet manifold off to do this subaru keep all the parts in stock only seemed to happen when it eas cold as you know theres about 6 -8 rubber pipes to replace but i done the metal line 2 just to be safe pig of a job that .time consuming more than hard
Old 06 January 2010, 02:44 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Well, had a look this morning and while I could smell petrol, I could not see it dripping anywhere. I'll give Keith Price a call to see how much the parts prices are but it looks like a job i'll have to do at some point. The joys of Subaru ownership
Old 06 January 2010, 03:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Before u rush off for the bits have you read the 2nd link you posted ?
the guy got all the parts and it wasnt that,
"Now comes the BIGGEST pissoff of the entire night. Basically what it comes down to is me wasting $200 for absolutely nothing. All of last year, even when it was -41 Celsius, I had no troubles with this car. It was very odd that something would happen at -26 this year. Of course I searched around the forums for gas smell and there was overwhelming evidence that it was this technical service bulletin that was causing the problem. Anytime something is wrong I always check it myself first; this time I just went straight ahead and bought all of the parts needed via advise of the forums. The first thing that got me suspicious is when we took off the manifold there was no gas residue or anything on top of the block in addition to the lines looking like they have never leaked before. After we looked around some more we found the true culprit of the gas smell; the fuel pressure regulator close to cylinder #1. The Philips bolts were almost figure tight. I tightened them and I’m almost certain that would have fixed the problem. So what it comes down to is that I didn’t need to take anything apart. I didn’t need to buy any parts. All I had to do was tighten two freaking screws which are in plain view on top of the motor. The following are some pictures of the gas residue around the regulator"

Taken from that link, might be worth having a real good look round before you order anything, also why cant we just replace the small hose with a longer 1 and move the clip further up the pipe?
Old 06 January 2010, 04:02 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by notfub
What I want to know is;
- Can I fix this by just replacing the old rubber pipe with new rubber pipe and some better clamps?
Looking at the new pipes, apart from them being shorter than the original, I can't really see why they need changing. As you say JDM, longer rubber pipe should provide just as good a fix. The regulator seemed fine this morning (as it's easier to see) so it's probably not that.

I think I'll take another look in the morning after priming the fuel pump a few times. I was in a rush this morning to take the Mrs to work (she's nervous of icy roads).
Old 11 February 2012, 08:48 PM
gethin marsh
Scooby Newbie

Had my impreza fuel issue sorted this week for free all paid courtesy of Subaru uk under warranty, took car to dealer told them issue they done a check on system with reg and showed outstanding recall, replaced all fuel rail pipit metal and rubber
Old 12 February 2012, 12:12 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy thread resurrection!

Name:  risenfromthedead.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  14.2 KB
Old 12 February 2012, 02:53 PM
GIBZY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Holy thread resurrection!

Old 12 February 2012, 02:56 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gethin marsh
Had my impreza fuel issue sorted this week for free all paid courtesy of Subaru uk under warranty, took car to dealer told them issue they done a check on system with reg and showed outstanding recall, replaced all fuel rail pipit metal and rubber
UK car or import?
Old 12 February 2012, 03:51 PM
gethin marsh
Scooby Newbie

Uk mate
Old 12 February 2012, 07:25 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Cheers, haven't come across anyone yet who's had an import done...
Old 12 February 2012, 07:39 PM
gethin marsh
Scooby Newbie

I'd phone your local dealer and ask at the end of the day a fault is a fault, and a labour intensive repair , worth a go
Old 12 February 2012, 08:40 PM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

i have the same problem on my02 bug uk wrx but have not bothered to get it fixed, it only happens in the winter so thought i might aswell leave it, common problem with bugs so i hear.
Old 12 February 2012, 08:46 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd phone your local dealer and ask at the end of the day a fault is a fault, and a labour intensive repair , worth a go
It only effected the UK/Euro market. JDM Imports are not covered by IM Warranties.
Old 15 February 2012, 04:58 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

I have been to jenkins subaru this afternoon to ask about the smell of fuel on start up...
i was told to get in touch with subaru uk ......
Come home and rang them waited around 5 minutes on hold whilst they transferred me to another department
I was told a load of rubbish by the bloke on the phone, saying there's only been problems when the temperature falls below -10.... i said it's mild today so how come my cars stinks of petrol fumes on start up and lasts for around 5 minutes.....he could not think of anything except "there could be a different problem" ...

phoned jenkins subaru cardiff back up and told them what subaru uk had said, jenkins subaru rang me back around 30 minutes after getting in contact with subaru uk.

It is the first time i have been to jenkins subaru and they have been very helpful

My car is now booked in next wednesday for them to check it over, if there is a problem it will be done under warranty ......

If no problem is found i will just put up with getting high on v power fumes
Old 15 February 2012, 05:06 PM
gethin marsh
Scooby Newbie

Took mine to Abergavenny very helpful like I say it was sorted under warranty, reading other threads with this issue they were stating smell starts at 0degrees and below, the dealer I went to told me but don't quote me on this is that the fuel rail contracts which is metal and the rubber hose don't, when they checked my car over the looked for residue marks where the fuel would drip however there were none, but the smell of fuel was enough to justify the work being done also the dealer phoned Subaru uk and sorted all the warranty side for me
Old 15 February 2012, 06:02 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

Took mine to Abergavenny very helpful like I say it was sorted under warranty, reading other threads with this issue they were stating smell starts at 0degrees and below, the dealer I went to told me but don't quote me on this is that the fuel rail contracts which is metal and the rubber hose don't, when they checked my car over the looked for residue marks where the fuel would drip however there were none, but the smell of fuel was enough to justify the work being done also the dealer phoned Subaru uk and sorted all the warranty side for me
I will let you know the outcome next week :-)
Old 15 February 2012, 06:23 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Mark, I am 100% sure that Dean carried out this repair on your/his car when he had it - it involves basically fitting the STi fuel rail setup.
Old 15 February 2012, 06:36 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Yeah - What Ty said
Old 15 February 2012, 10:17 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mp24
I have been to jenkins subaru this afternoon to ask about the smell of fuel on start up...
i was told to get in touch with subaru uk ......
Come home and rang them waited around 5 minutes on hold whilst they transferred me to another department
I was told a load of rubbish by the bloke on the phone, saying there's only been problems when the temperature falls below -10.... i said it's mild today so how come my cars stinks of petrol fumes on start up and lasts for around 5 minutes.....he could not think of anything except "there could be a different problem" ...

phoned jenkins subaru cardiff back up and told them what subaru uk had said, jenkins subaru rang me back around 30 minutes after getting in contact with subaru uk.

It is the first time i have been to jenkins subaru and they have been very helpful

My car is now booked in next wednesday for them to check it over, if there is a problem it will be done under warranty ......

If no problem is found i will just put up with getting high on v power fumes
Mark,
I did swap out the original WRX fuel pipes under the inlet manifold for an STI 8 equivalent. The service history should have a receipt for the intake manifold gaskets from Roger Clarke Motorsport. I didn't get the petrol smell after I completed the work.
I've even got some pics on my phone of the intake manifold off with the new fuel pipes alongside to show the difference......see if I can get it to my PC.

Pic taken 28th Jan 2010
Name:  fuelpipe.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  76.9 KB

Last edited by notfub; 15 February 2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added pic & date work done
Old 16 February 2012, 07:40 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

THanks dean, it is really strong on start up so taking it down Wednesday to make sure everything is ok ...
Old 16 February 2012, 10:29 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

THanks dean, it is really strong on start up so taking it down Wednesday to make sure everything is ok ...
Keep me posted Mark as I'd like to know what the problem is. I didn't even ask Subaru about the recall (just priced up parts) as the car was out of warranty. Good to know that Subaru will still honour the work though as it is a time consuming job to complete.
Old 22 February 2012, 01:44 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by notfub
Keep me posted Mark as I'd like to know what the problem is. I didn't even ask Subaru about the recall (just priced up parts) as the car was out of warranty. Good to know that Subaru will still honour the work though as it is a time consuming job to complete.
Hi dean, took the car to jenkins subaru cardiff this morning...
Excellent and friendly service there, they are going to ring me when the parts come in and will be done under warranty....

I was hoping to have the cosworth impreza as a curtesy car

They told me i can't
Old 22 February 2012, 02:17 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does this affect the blobeye sti models as i can smell petrol when i start mine on cold mornings
Old 22 February 2012, 02:30 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Hi dean, took the car to jenkins subaru cardiff this morning...
Excellent and friendly service there, they are going to ring me when the parts come in and will be done under warranty....

I was hoping to have the cosworth impreza as a curtesy car

They told me i can't
What a cr@ppy dealer!
Old 22 February 2012, 04:03 PM
mp24
Scooby Regular

Q Does this affect the blobeye sti models as i can smell petrol when i start mine on cold mornings

A As far as i know it only affected the european bug eye wrx model....

What a cr@ppy dealer!

It is a bit spiteful lol

Last edited by mp24; 22 February 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02 April 2012, 10:42 AM
Sy5
Scooby Regular

So I'm having a similar problem on my 02 sti uk. I guess the first thing to do is ring up a main dealer and check its recall history?