Notices

Newbie intro with lots of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2010, 12:10 AM
Taffy223
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie intro with lots of questions...

Heyup

So I've been trawling this site for the last month since buying my fist subaru. I picked up a lovely 63k 2002 bugeye with full service history including reciepts ( just had 60K service with belts and all fluids ). I'm just over 40 and I have been a biker since I was 16 but I've had a few nippy cars over the years.
I had a Fiat 131 Mirafiori 2.0TC and a 309 GTi which went pretty well, but this is the closest to the adrenalin dump I've ever had in a car that I used to get on a large motorcycle.

I popped up to Cardiff with my lad for a quick visit to the SWS club monthly meet and met a few nice guys who were very friendly. I don't know the crack and if I need to be a member ( paying) to join this club. I just showed up and had a chat with a few guys before everyone else showed up.

I have a very basic unmodified car appart from the exhaust and I intend to keep it that way. I have no intentions to do any performance modifications I just want to keep it standard and keep it well maintained. I'm past the days of road racing but I do have a tendancy for a little high speed squirt now and then....

1. I did have both front seatbelts squeaking till i did a quick 15min fix I found on this website. Great guide and my seatbelts are now silent.
2. I found a small round cylindrical lump of plastic in the drivers footwell a few days ago and could not find where it went till I saw a small round hole in the carpet. Looks like a throttle pedal stop...is that what it is? is it important? Do I need to refit it?
3. I have a nice sounding big bore aftermarket exhaust fitted and would like to think that the engine mapping would reflect this addition. I'm not sure what make the exhaust is that is fitted but I'll post a pic as soon as possible.
I'd imagine that after an exhaust like this is fitted that the engine would require remapping and as I'm not sure if this has been done. I'd happily pay for a mapping confirmation. I dont want to map for extra power I just want the mapping to be correct and the engine to purr along. Is this possible ?
4. I took my wifes Saxo for an MoT today and after reading a few threads here about Mot's and 2 wheel brake testing I asked the "guy" if they could perform on the road brake testing as 2 wheel brake testing could damage the subaru's transmision. He said we've done quite a few over the years on our brake tester as the speed of the wheels are very low with no problems.
Now while he did mention that they had equipment to do on the road testing should I be wary and insist that it is not done on their 2 wheel brake tester?
5. I had no mats fitted to the car when i bought it...anyone recommend somewhere to grab a bargain ?. I just want a good hardwearing budget set that fits the impreza properly.
6. I have 2 keys, one working and the other is missing the guts. Can I buy a used key from ebay etc and swap the innards to my key and reprogramme it?
I do have the security code as well.
7. I seem to be using a lot of petrol....I assume there's a hole in the tank.
Can anyone suggest a place to start looking...
8. There's a very very very slight knock I can feel on larger road bumps from the front end, similar to what I felt on my 309Gti before I replaced to top shock bearings. Is this similar and is it something to be wary of. Any fixes ?

Thanks in advance guys, I hope you can help.

Cheers
Kieran

Edited to add question #9
Would I get a better response posting this in a general forum rather than just the welsh forum?

Last edited by Taffy223; 28 August 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 28 August 2010, 07:43 AM
scott64
Scooby Regular

welcome to the welsh section fella , someone with ALOT more know how that me (and there are loads of them here) will be allong to answer your questions soon
Old 28 August 2010, 07:55 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Welcome! Pics of the FIAT please!!
Old 28 August 2010, 10:27 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Kerian,

I had a chat with you at the last meet, welcome aboard.
No paid membership required for the local stuff but if you looking and some of the shows etc then take a look at www.sidc.co.uk it's the national club with quite a few benefits. If your at the next meet I can have a chat about it with you then.
Hole in the tank lol they do like a drink!! Mpg can be shocking espically if you press the loud pedal.
Your zorst should be fine without a remap if is just a back box swap.
Loved the 131 Fiat was it orange? They used to fly but would rust under your eyes.

Some of the others should be able to help with the other questions.
All the best.
Old 28 August 2010, 12:22 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome to the Welsh bit As above the Impreza does like a drink, so you are probabaly just falling foul of that !! discount obvious signs like fuel smells and puddles under the car first - but it's probably the loud pedal sucking it all up !!!

Had my Cannon car mats from Halfords, they are great quality but not that cheap for a set of four - had cheaper in the past and thay usually fall apart !!, just a bit of trimminig with a household scissors and they were in - great fit !!
Old 28 August 2010, 12:45 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

hi and welcome .with regards to mapping i highly recomend bob rawle if you email him with your questions he'll get back to you
Old 28 August 2010, 05:17 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

COSTCO do some really good mats if you have a card. Fuel is not as expensive as beer so don't worry

Remapping is not a black art and will improve MPG but will give better torque/BHP........yummy.

The knock could be the shocks. OE ones can be had from Camskills quite cheap.

Oh and welcome
Old 28 August 2010, 08:47 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Taffy223
Heyup

So I've been trawling this site for the last month since buying my fist subaru. I picked up a lovely 63k 2002 bugeye with full service history including reciepts ( just had 60K service with belts and all fluids ). I'm just over 40 and I have been a biker since I was 16 but I've had a few nippy cars over the years.
I had a Fiat 131 Mirafiori 2.0TC and a 309 GTi which went pretty well, but this is the closest to the adrenalin dump I've ever had in a car that I used to get on a large motorcycle.

I popped up to Cardiff with my lad for a quick visit to the SWS club monthly meet and met a few nice guys who were very friendly. I don't know the crack and if I need to be a member ( paying) to join this club. I just showed up and had a chat with a few guys before everyone else showed up.

I have a very basic unmodified car appart from the exhaust and I intend to keep it that way. I have no intentions to do any performance modifications I just want to keep it standard and keep it well maintained. I'm past the days of road racing but I do have a tendancy for a little high speed squirt now and then....

1. I did have both front seatbelts squeaking till i did a quick 15min fix I found on this website. Great guide and my seatbelts are now silent.
2. I found a small round cylindrical lump of plastic in the drivers footwell a few days ago and could not find where it went till I saw a small round hole in the carpet. Looks like a throttle pedal stop...is that what it is? is it important? Do I need to refit it?
3. I have a nice sounding big bore aftermarket exhaust fitted and would like to think that the engine mapping would reflect this addition. I'm not sure what make the exhaust is that is fitted but I'll post a pic as soon as possible.
I'd imagine that after an exhaust like this is fitted that the engine would require remapping and as I'm not sure if this has been done. I'd happily pay for a mapping confirmation. I dont want to map for extra power I just want the mapping to be correct and the engine to purr along. Is this possible ?
4. I took my wifes Saxo for an MoT today and after reading a few threads here about Mot's and 2 wheel brake testing I asked the "guy" if they could perform on the road brake testing as 2 wheel brake testing could damage the subaru's transmision. He said we've done quite a few over the years on our brake tester as the speed of the wheels are very low with no problems.
Now while he did mention that they had equipment to do on the road testing should I be wary and insist that it is not done on their 2 wheel brake tester?
5. I had no mats fitted to the car when i bought it...anyone recommend somewhere to grab a bargain ?. I just want a good hardwearing budget set that fits the impreza properly.
6. I have 2 keys, one working and the other is missing the guts. Can I buy a used key from ebay etc and swap the innards to my key and reprogramme it?
I do have the security code as well.
7. I seem to be using a lot of petrol....I assume there's a hole in the tank.
Can anyone suggest a place to start looking...
8. There's a very very very slight knock I can feel on larger road bumps from the front end, similar to what I felt on my 309Gti before I replaced to top shock bearings. Is this similar and is it something to be wary of. Any fixes ?

Thanks in advance guys, I hope you can help.

Cheers
Kieran

Edited to add question #9
Would I get a better response posting this in a general forum rather than just the welsh forum?
thats some intro fella

Last edited by The Stitcher; 29 August 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 28 August 2010, 08:53 PM
morfo
Scooby Regular

The knock may be the drop links. Cost me around £70 fitted for standard replacements.
Old 28 August 2010, 11:35 PM
Taffy223
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll try and make the next meet in Cardiff and stay a bit longer this time.

I know there's a lot of questions I just thought it easier to get em all covered in one go...

The very slight knock is not worrying me at the mo but if it worsens I'll do some diagnosis. I might even have a look at the drop links anyway.

My old 131 was black and unfortunatly I've no pics...and yes it became a rust bucket no matter how hard i tried to look after it, shame realy coz it was a real nice car when I first had it ( my next car was a mk5 Cortina..lol ). The GTi however did not have any rust at all and it was a sad day when I let her go.

I intend to service my car myself from here on in and as an engineer with plenty of expierience rebuilding motorcycles engines and complete bikes, I've done quite a few jobs on my cars over the years too. But with this scooby I'd love to find a Scooby Guru in the Bridgend area who can take me under their wing...

Thanks again

K
Old 29 August 2010, 09:42 AM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Front end knock sounds just like my bugeye, a set of CDF Racing droplinks cured the problem and they are an easy fit too

Welcome to the bugclub

Last edited by notfub; 29 August 2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 29 August 2010, 10:36 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy223
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll try and make the next meet in Cardiff and stay a bit longer this time.

I know there's a lot of questions I just thought it easier to get em all covered in one go...

The very slight knock is not worrying me at the mo but if it worsens I'll do some diagnosis. I might even have a look at the drop links anyway.

My old 131 was black and unfortunatly I've no pics...and yes it became a rust bucket no matter how hard i tried to look after it, shame realy coz it was a real nice car when I first had it ( my next car was a mk5 Cortina..lol ). The GTi however did not have any rust at all and it was a sad day when I let her go.

I intend to service my car myself from here on in and as an engineer with plenty of expierience rebuilding motorcycles engines and complete bikes, I've done quite a few jobs on my cars over the years too. But with this scooby I'd love to find a Scooby Guru in the Bridgend area who can take me under their wing...

Thanks again

K
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...49&var=36&dc=y

Old 29 August 2010, 03:42 PM
evobad
Scooby Regular

as for brake testing for mot iv had alot of scooby-evos my tester doesnt put car on rollers he takes car out for testing as he noes his cars but i did take evo 3 few years ago to another garage they put on rollers which i then informed them that this could damage diff etc but he just laughed.
Old 03 September 2010, 11:58 PM
Taffy223
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evobad
as for brake testing for mot iv had alot of scooby-evos my tester doesnt put car on rollers he takes car out for testing as he noes his cars but i did take evo 3 few years ago to another garage they put on rollers which i then informed them that this could damage diff etc but he just laughed.
I've read many posts stating this should not be done on a two wheel only brake tester and what sort of enforces the idea in my mind is that in the user manual it even states this and shows a diagram of how to do it without damaging the transmision.

I just dont want to make an expensive mistake.
The guy did however state he did have the device ( cant remember the name ) to do the test on the road.

So I think I'll just have to be a little more persuasive

Taffy