Bit Of A Moan

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2010, 07:27 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Bit Of A Moan

Just going to have a bit of a moan here guys
Im currently out of work and on the hunt for a job. After many applications over the last few weeks still nothing at the moment
What is really bugging me though is the attitude some companies adopt, most companies ask for a written application and c.v to be posted to them which i duely do,then a week or two goes by and not a word. So is it not company policy anymore to reply to a job application if you are unsucesfull? phoned a company up this morning (Comet) who didnt have a clue what to say to me about my recent application and was told to go to the store i applied to

Anyway,im trying to get in to Car sales if possible but have no experience in that job. I've offered to work a couple of days for free to learn the trade but still no intrest. Just goes to show the way society is going that people cant even be botherd to communicate anymore. How hard is it to write a letter or pick a phone up?

RANT OVER!!!!!!!!!
Old 09 September 2010, 07:28 PM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

have you tried trade centre wales? They were looking not so long ago
Old 09 September 2010, 07:35 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

It's very frustrating Calvin, you think a bit of manners, by way of a reply would be easy !! Even to let you know either way !! Good luck with the hunt mate - anything I see I'll let you know
Old 09 September 2010, 07:40 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by welshy12
have you tried trade centre wales? They were looking not so long ago
Will try them tomorrow Rich. Do you know if they take on without experience?

Someone must know someone who owns a car sales local to Pontarddulais that will give me a chance
Old 09 September 2010, 07:42 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
It's very frustrating Calvin, you think a bit of manners, by way of a reply would be easy !! Even to let you know either way !! Good luck with the hunt mate - anything I see I'll let you know
Cheers Si At the end of the day it only takes 2 seconds to pick a phone up
Old 09 September 2010, 07:49 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Stick at it Calv, something is bound to come up. It is annoying when they cant be bothered to reply though.
Old 09 September 2010, 07:58 PM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
Will try them tomorrow Rich. Do you know if they take on without experience?

Someone must know someone who owns a car sales local to Pontarddulais that will give me a chance
I'm not sure calv, everyone has got to start somewhere though. If no one gives you a chance how can you gain experience Very frustrating though not getting a call or letter, even it is too say no..
Old 09 September 2010, 08:04 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by welshy12
I'm not sure calv, everyone has got to start somewhere though. If no one gives you a chance how can you gain experience
That was my question to a sales manager in Days before. Funnily enough he couldnt give me an answer,main dealer says experience required and used sales say experience required
Old 09 September 2010, 08:07 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this mate looking for a job sucks! It took me 3 months to get my first Civvie job when I left the Army, kept getting either no replies from my CV or not enough experience!! Went with two companies for free for a couple of weeks each who were both happy with my work but didn't wanna take me on which pissed me right off!

Determination is the key, if your CV looks spot on then you'll have no problems, keep it short, 2 pages is plenty, any more and they'll lose interest!!

Old 09 September 2010, 08:08 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this mate looking for a job sucks! It took me 3 months to get my first Civvie job when I left the Army, kept getting either no replies from my CV or not enough experience!! Went with two companies for free for a couple of weeks each who were both happy with my work but didn't wanna take me on which pissed me right off!

Determination is the key, if your CV looks spot on then you'll have no problems, keep it short, 2 pages is plenty, any more and they'll lose interest!!

Old 09 September 2010, 08:21 PM
stevescoob
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wrx287
Just going to have a bit of a moan here guys
Im currently out of work and on the hunt for a job. After many applications over the last few weeks still nothing at the moment
What is really bugging me though is the attitude some companies adopt, most companies ask for a written application and c.v to be posted to them which i duely do,then a week or two goes by and not a word. So is it not company policy anymore to reply to a job application if you are unsucesfull? phoned a company up this morning (Comet) who didnt have a clue what to say to me about my recent application and was told to go to the store i applied to

Anyway,im trying to get in to Car sales if possible but have no experience in that job. I've offered to work a couple of days for free to learn the trade but still no intrest. Just goes to show the way society is going that people cant even be botherd to communicate anymore. How hard is it to write a letter or pick a phone up?

RANT OVER!!!!!!!!!

i can understand your frustration because im having the same problem, i just moved to north wales and have sent numerous applications off but only 1 has had the decency to reply and that was by email, im a 25 year time served plumber but because i have no piece off paper that says im a plumber i can not find employment its very frustrating and those fools down the job centre are about as useful as glass hammers. yours in frustration steve.

Last edited by stevescoob; 09 September 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09 September 2010, 08:44 PM
gcb2309
Scooby Regular

I know im not from Wales Scoobies but im just going through the forums so hope you don't mind

i have been a car salesman for the last ten years no experience in necessary the reason they ask for that is they don't have the time to train people up anymore if you can get into a good main dealer and franchise a lot of them have apprentice programs for new starters in the motor trade and that gives you a great insight.
The best bit of advice i can give is make sure you list your life exp and bits and you need to prove you are a people person and reliable as the hardest thing is finding people who stick it out most people move on in six months cause they don't earn as much as they thought.
Your best bet would be a volume franchise ford vauxhall citroen etc to gain exp then you can move on to more desirable brands if you wish as for an idea of earnings you will prob start on a 10k basic plus 10% comm in the first year in the job you will do well to earn £25k but it does go up from there anywhere up to £45k is possible and you can go on to more.
The hours are long weekends etc and customers think you are out to rob them as long as you have thick skin and don't mind people saying no you will be fine.
As a trainer once told me you can shave a gorilla put them in a suit and they will sell cars as there are processes to follow and they work

once again sorry for hijacking thread and not teaching you to suck eggs Good luck and all the best.
To give you an idea before cars i sold everything from Double Glazing Gas and Electric and Kirbys to show i had a sales background the way i look at it is there will always be sales jobs out there
Old 09 September 2010, 08:44 PM
gcb2309
Scooby Regular

Double Post Sorry

Last edited by gcb2309; 09 September 2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 09 September 2010, 08:49 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Same here, had this for 6 months, BUT have an interview tomorrow for Christmas work in Royal mail, driving and warehouse work for Parcel Force. And then next monday I`ve another interview on a training scheme to do my class 1 lorry and all the cpc, hazchem, etc, etc. Which will work out better in the long run as they do it with employers, so I`ll gain experience which every employer wants but will never explain how you get it.

But had 6 months of sending off 3 -4 application forms a week, sending CV`s, even hand delivered a few only to be told that it never arrived.

I FULLY blame First Cymru Busses in Swansea for my current position, as the company doctor is about as much use as a fart in a lift.
Old 09 September 2010, 08:50 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Hi Calvin, sorry to hear you are still searching.

Zara just informed me that Admiral are taking on the end of the month. I know this is not the field you want but it will add as experience. Ie customer relations and dealing with awkward situations.

Would you like me to get more info for you Calvin?

Good Luck mate.
Old 09 September 2010, 08:50 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Zara just informed me that Admiral are taking on the end of the month. I know this is not the field you want but it will add as experience. Ie customer relations and dealing with awkward situations.

Good Luck mate.
Old 09 September 2010, 09:03 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevescoob
i can understand your frustration because im having the same problem, i just moved to north wales and have sent numerous applications off but only 1 has had the decency to reply and that was by email, im a 25 year time served plumber but because i have no piece off paper that says im a plumber i can not find employment its very frustrating and those fools down the job centre are about as useful as glass hammers. yours in frustration steve.
Sorry to hyjack, but steve. Get in touch with as many people firms you have worked for in the past and ask them for a short (but to the point) letter, about the work you did, timekeeping, etc.. That way you will tripple your chance of getting a job. Good luck mate.
Old 09 September 2010, 09:07 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N

Good Luck mate.
Yeah that would be great if you could mate. Anything is worth a go at the minute
Old 09 September 2010, 09:11 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Zara will get the recrutment number for you. I'll txt it to you tomorrow. She will also refer you as a friend and they will phone you.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 09 September 2010, 09:12 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

I know of a few just gone into Amazon ...
Old 09 September 2010, 10:22 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I did not know you were out of work Calvin it must be tough. Hope something comes along very soon, good luck.
Old 09 September 2010, 11:41 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
I know of a few just gone into Amazon ...
I know a couple of people working there and apparently they arent a very employee friendly company.
Old 10 September 2010, 12:01 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYL 4N
Zara will get the recrutment number for you. I'll txt it to you tomorrow. She will also refer you as a friend and they will phone you.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Cheers mate
Old 10 September 2010, 01:09 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Unfotunately companies seemed to of stopped answering years ago

Carcraft Newport take on no experience
Old 10 September 2010, 01:18 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Just had an interview for Christmas hours as a Parcel Force collection/delivery driver, apparently there have been 10-12 passing all the tests (like me) and they take on 10 with probably 2 being kept on full time.
Got another interview Monday for a Class 1 training work based thing, so gonna have to see what they say about what is gonna be done and when and if I get "paid" and make a tough decision.
Old 10 September 2010, 05:30 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find nearly all cmpanies don't respond nowadays and as said havn't for years, it's purly down to cost.

If you say the average job has 50 applicants. Thats either 49 telephone calls which your paying someone to make or 49 letters which is someones time to add the names and addresses to perform the mail merge/printing/folding and sticking into envelopes plus the cost of postage. I'm sure if you were paying the bills in these hard times you wouldn't bother doing either as the failed applicants mean nothing to your business.

I'm sure something will come along soon, Take anything as it always seems to be easier to get a job once your employed compared to getting one whilst unemployed. Sales is hard to get into unless you have a sales background.

Don't bother with comet/curries etc, they are **** to work for, the hours are really bad (Boxing day/bank holidays/newyears days etc) and the pay/bonus is awefull
Old 10 September 2010, 05:50 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

I agree there about Comet - worked in one for a day, on Customer Services !! basically the managemnt left me high and dry - a woman came in moaning like hell about her Hoover, talked to me like **** - never went back
Old 15 September 2010, 10:39 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX
Just had an interview for Christmas hours as a Parcel Force collection/delivery driver, apparently there have been 10-12 passing all the tests (like me) and they take on 10 with probably 2 being kept on full time.
Got another interview Monday for a Class 1 training work based thing, so gonna have to see what they say about what is gonna be done and when and if I get "paid" and make a tough decision.

I worked for parcelforce last christmas and the time before and they are good to ok for, i enjoyed it anyway. They asked me to go back this year but I'm working some where else so couldn't.

That blicking test you have to do is daft Be suprised how many fail it. I hope you get the job and a tidy route. They dont tend to send christmas casuals to far, not as far as west wales or cardiff.
Don't be suprised if you dont hear from them until late October when someone rings you out of the blue asking for your bank details lol

Good Luck
Old 16 September 2010, 11:09 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update,been to see about a job with Sinclair Skoda and spoke to the sales manager when i dropped my c.v off and he said id be guarenteed an interview and also went to see the Director of Days Motorpark and he said if anything comes up i would get an interview there aswell. Also going to a jobs fair next week to see Parcelforce and a couple of others
Old 16 September 2010, 06:38 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Good news Calv - I hope something comes up soon for you Good luck

Quick Reply: Bit Of A Moan