Notices

First victim of this bad weather!

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2010, 07:48 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First victim of this bad weather!

Had a bit of an accident today with me works van, here goes;

1pm gets to my second job of the day to hang some new radiators and fire up a new heating system. Singing away to S Club7 on my radio, approx 3pm theres a fella shouting and waving out throught the window for my attention...
Outside i go and the guy begins to tell me that while he was travelling up a steep, snow covered icy road adjacent to the property i was working at, he passes my parked up van (on customer's driveway) looses traction in his townie 4x4 (Nissan X-Trail) comes to a holt and dabs his brakes. His car starts sliding backwards and continues for 10yards or so rear end and mounts the kurb and smashes my Tranny's front passenger side wing, fcucks my front bumper, shabon-gered my headlight and give a good old boosh to my front wheel! Guy is really genuine and accepts liability (suppose he had to) so we start exchanging details etc..
Now here comes the bit you couldn't make up.....
There i am sat in my van talking to this guy, he's pulled his car on a few yards from my van to assess the damage, along down the hill comes the father in law of my customer in his little citroen, (going steady in fairness) dabs his brakes about 15 yds from us, low and behold his front wheels lock up and he continues to slide straight into the Nissan , which then slides back again and doubles the damage to my van!!
All i can say i was thankfull that the guy was decent, and that we were a couple of yards from the front of my van as had it been a minute sooner we would have been assessing the damage and had our back to the road, and quite possibly be in hospital nursing crushed legs!
After an hour and a half on the phone to insurance, hire company's etc, i am recieving a hire van (FOC) tomorrow am, and my van is being picked up monday to be assessed. As i say glad he was a decent chap, and that i dont have to fork out for a hire van as being self-employed my only other vehicle is Scoob and there's no way im putting my dirty tools and blowlamp in that!!!
Drive safe this weekend people its pretty rough out there!
Rob
Old 26 November 2010, 07:52 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Rob Legend

1pm gets to my second job of the day to hang some new radiators and fire up a new heating system. Singing away to S Club7 on my radio...

You see I got this far and concluded anything else that happened must be your fault
Old 26 November 2010, 07:56 PM
s450oby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Legend

1pm gets to my second job of the day to hang some new radiators and fire up a new heating system. Singing away to S Club7 on my radio, approx 3pm theres a fella shouting and waving out throught the window for my attention...
Outside i go and the guy begins to tell me that while he was travelling up a steep, snow covered icy road adjacent to the property i was working at, he passes my parked up van (on customer's driveway) looses traction in his townie 4x4 (Nissan X-Trail) comes to a holt and dabs his brakes. His car starts sliding backwards and continues for 10yards or so rear end and mounts the kurb and smashes my Tranny's front passenger side wing, fcucks my front bumper, shabon-gered my headlight and give a good old boosh to my front wheel! Guy is really genuine and accepts liability (suppose he had to) so we start exchanging details etc..
Now here comes the bit you couldn't make up.....
There i am sat in my van talking to this guy, he's pulled his car on a few yards from my van to assess the damage, along down the hill comes the father in law of my customer in his little citroen, (going steady in fairness) dabs his brakes about 15 yds from us, low and behold his front wheels lock up and he continues to slide straight into the Nissan , which then slides back again and doubles the damage to my van!!
All i can say i was thankfull that the guy was decent, and that we were a couple of yards from the front of my van as had it been a minute sooner we would have been assessing the damage and had our back to the road, and quite possibly be in hospital nursing crushed legs!
After an hour and a half on the phone to insurance, hire company's etc, i am recieving a hire van (FOC) tomorrow am, and my van is being picked up monday to be assessed. As i say glad he was a decent chap, and that i dont have to fork out for a hire van as being self-employed my only other vehicle is Scoob and there's no way im putting my dirty tools and blowlamp in that!!!
Drive safe this weekend people its pretty rough out there!
Rob
dude i left work 19 miles from my house at 3 pm and i had to park my van on top of the mountain 11 miles away and walk home the other 8 just got in 7 45 knackered
Old 26 November 2010, 07:57 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

haha yeah doesn't look good for me does it!!!!!1
Old 26 November 2010, 07:57 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

S Club 7, like already said it serves you right...

I suppose you also like Steps as well.

Hope all goes well for you Rob for the rest of the weekend.
Old 26 November 2010, 08:01 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s450oby
dude i left work 19 miles from my house at 3 pm and i had to park my van on top of the mountain 11 miles away and walk home the other 8 just got in 7 45 knackered
Bloody hell bad times! luckily i was only 500yds from home. i know everybody's saying it but it amazes me how people panic at a drop of snow! should have manadory snow tyres fir winter like in canada
Old 26 November 2010, 08:02 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

bloody hell rob admitting to singing to s club 7 sorry to hear the bad news weather has been sh~t here today hope all goes well with insurance etc
Old 26 November 2010, 08:11 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

I suppose you also like Steps as well.

Met H once, watta legend and a Rhondda boy 2, Coal-dust in his blood and that (amongst other things!!)

C'monn ty!!!

Hope all goes well for you Rob for the rest of the weekend. [/quote]

Cheers men hopefully itll be a smooth transaction,not the end of the world if van gets written off she's 2001 so bit of age now.
Old 26 November 2010, 08:22 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I would like to apologise for setting the tone of the replies to your tale of woe.

Actually, I'm lying. Sympathy is just a word beginning with 's' around here

I remember a similar kind of thing happening one Winter a few years back... coming out of Hull on the A63 where it becomes the M62 at North Cave. If anyone knows it, it's the bit where there's acres of open tarmac (or so it seems) where the 4 lanes all merge, and the expanse of tarmac between them...

I was behind this guy (1" or two of snow on the road and bitterly cold) keeping my distance and as we came to the road merging bit I looked across and right over on the far left side was a pile (only word to describe it) of vehicles all in a bunch and a group of people stood around looking mournfully at their car mid-pile.

Well the guy in front of me clearly saw this mess and decided to brake.

Whoops.

Locked up instantly, and... spin.... spin.... spin... sliiiiiide... spin. CRUNCH

One more in the pile. It really did look dead impressive the way everyone already there saw him coming and jumped out of the way. I just eased off, touched NOTHING and went on my merry way.

It's nice to learn a valuable lesson (this was my first severe Winter driving on main roads) when someone else demonstrates it for you.
Old 26 November 2010, 08:23 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I don't know what you are on about Rob...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9lHHuCDYg

Old 26 November 2010, 08:49 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Haha loves it!!!!
Thats exactly what i was like, the bit where the girl goes up to the camera,, i was like that i the window and the chap was looking straight at me!!!!!
hehehhhe
Old 27 November 2010, 02:26 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update, hoire van was supposed to have arrived at 12.30 today, they rang at 12 to say that the roads were that bad in Caerphilly that they couldn't get it out, so now not arriving until 2pm monday, thus buggeering up another days work, as my van is beig picked up monday morning. wondering whether i can try and get some dolly off them for loss of 2 days work (with today) or would it be too much hassle?? not the end of the worldif i cant, it just knackers up my work schedule too for the busiest time of the year for me!!!these things happen i suppose!!
Old 28 November 2010, 01:35 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by s450oby
Caerphilly Hill, Thornhil White Transit flat bed?

It's still there and OK .

At least you bothered to park it off the road instead of just leaving it in the road like loads of numpty's did