Notices

Sun Military Awards ITV 1 at 9pm tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2010, 09:45 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sun Military Awards ITV 1 at 9pm tonight.

Did not make the meet as I was invited to the Sun Military Awards. One of my soldiers was nominated but sadly did not win. But they are all winners anyway .

Awesome night. It was like a Hullo magazine party, but they where meeting us. Got a bit star struck talking to David and Brooklyn Beckham, David Jason, Rio Ferdinand, Lord Lloyd-Webber, Kathrine Jenkins and the list goes on. But the high point (no pun) was Jeremy Clarkson then Andy McNab (not his real name), they where all awesome. I am sat behind David Beckham with Mark Austen from ITV News at Ten and the old fellas from Bomber Command

It's on ITV 1 at 9pm and have some tissues ready.
Old 17 December 2010, 11:01 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff Ian they are all winners! The mrs hasn't cried for a couple of days so I'll make sure we watch it tonight
Old 17 December 2010, 11:38 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done Ian, I can see why you chose the awards over seeing our ugly mugs.

Glad to hear all went well, what was Jeremy Clarkson like? He seems like a really nice bloke.
Old 17 December 2010, 01:26 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Well done Ian, I can see why you chose the awards over seeing our ugly mugs.

Glad to hear all went well, what was Jeremy Clarkson like? He seems like a really nice bloke.
He's fecking tall!

The lad I was with was blown up in a Jackal. He was thrown 50 feet away but was saved because of not wearing a seatbelt. Clarkson turned to a General stode next to him and explained because we have opposing thumbs we can make choices, even life saving ones, cue poo face from the General as H&S says the lads are supposed to wear them!

Beckham was by far the nicest bloke I have met in a long time.

Went out side for a cigar and " Rickaaaaay" was also having a tab. I was speaking to Ang on the phone yep he ended up talking to her for five minutes. I took the phone off him as she can go on a bit (she's not on SN).
Old 17 December 2010, 01:46 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Nice one Ian
Old 17 December 2010, 06:53 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

tidy m8 will keep an eye out for you
Old 17 December 2010, 08:13 PM
DYL 4N
Scooby Regular

Thay are all winners. Glad you enjoyed. You'll be on top gear next Ian.
Old 17 December 2010, 10:34 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid it was too much for me to see the children proudly displaying their deceased parents medals. The parents willingly lay down their lives for their country,but the kids have no say, and it is hoped they will deal with the terrible consequences. As a serviceman, my greatest fear is that my children will have to bear the heartache of wearing my medals in memoriam.
The lad who stood proudly on no legs at the parade to receive his medal has moved me as well. All you need to know about the strength of the human spirit is displayed in the bravery of that guy.
Old 17 December 2010, 10:39 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles
I'm afraid it was too much for me to see the children proudly displaying their deceased parents medals. The parents willingly lay down their lives for their country,but the kids have no say, and it is hoped they will deal with the terrible consequences. As a serviceman, my greatest fear is that my children will have to bear the heartache of wearing my medals in memoriam.
The lad who stood proudly on no legs at the parade to receive his medal has moved me as well. All you need to know about the strength of the human spirit is displayed in the bravery of that guy.
I took my kids to the Tower of London and the Fusilier museum had the Elizabeth Cross on display along with the Iraq and Afghan medals. I had to explain to my kids why I only had 2 of the 3 medals.

I can recall his name, but the RAF Regiment Flt Sgt (may be a WO now) with the huge tache is a real salt-of-the-earth bloke, I'm sure he was at Lyneham in my time there.
Old 17 December 2010, 10:45 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I took my kids to the Tower of London and the Fusilier museum had the Elizabeth Cross on display along with the Iraq and Afghan medals. I had to explain to my kids why I only had 2 of the 3 medals.

I can recall his name, but the RAF Regiment Flt Sgt (may be a WO now) with the huge tache is a real salt-of-the-earth bloke, I'm sure he was at Lyneham in my time there.
And long may you have only two of the three Jon.
Old 18 December 2010, 02:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by JonMc

Jon,

The "Tasche" is involved with the Repat team. Having looked after a few families as VO at repats it's hard. When the c-17 comes over the horizon and the sobbing starts any military man or woman, unless your made of stone, will bristle with an massive sense of foreboding and emotions that you'll never be able to explain.
Old 18 December 2010, 02:27 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Jon,

The "Tasche" is involved with the Repat team. Having looked after a few families as VO at repats it's hard. When the c-17 comes over the horizon and the sobbing starts any military man or woman, unless your made of stone, will bristle with an massive sense of foreboding and emotions that you'll never be able to explain.
I know exactly the feeling, it's the same feeling as the you get whenever you attend a ramp ceremony at the Afghan end regardless of whether you know the soldier, sailor or airman and regardless of their nationality.

It was a similar when I watched the X-factor piece about 'heroes' and was suddenly the benefactor of a huge hug from my daughter - it's amazing how much they understand, even at 7 years old.
Old 18 December 2010, 03:15 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Son-in-law flew back this week from R&R. Back out to Nad e Ali. Best wishes to him. Keeping an eye on the daughter and grandkids now. ****e time to go back out before Xmas too.