Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2012, 11:04 AM
Bobby_RStevens
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug/Wagon - Am I mad?

Hi all,

Firstly, Hi...

Been a quiet member for a while, had Legacy GT-B's for years but last year bought a bugeye wagon to make me feel young still. Had known the car for years and is great colour, think it might be last time they built these in this colour (52 plate) who know's, I love it, looks awesome when clean and the sun is out

Have only serviced and changed the wheels + some styling up till now but have made a decision that I want to start doing motorsport... i.e. track days, hill climb and sprints etc - mid life I recon...

Sorry, the car is mega dirty... I love driving it..

It's fairly standard tbh, lowered, HKS headers and uppipe, apparant prodrive ECU but need to confirm etc, full decat's zorst etc but that's about it -pretty standard...

I am not interested in having a mega light track weapon as I want something to enjoy and improve my skill for a while but want to know if using this for some fun is the way to go as I love the car or.... just go down the 2 seater road as a track car..

Budget is always a pain and as it's a second car I want to know if from peoples experience am I just heading down the wrong road. I plan to get brake upgrade, suspension and bsuhes etc, maybe turbo upg and FMIC if you feel these are a good option but will I be regretting this situation in the future. I plan to try and source a trailer next year as my daily driver family bus is the "Venga Bus" (Vito Traveliner) so would look forward to attending as many events as I could with the family in tow....

Would want to keep it road legal as well to enjoy on a Sunday, Pembrey is just around the corner so trailer maybe further down the road.

What are your thoughts?

Car is in good mechanical condition and serviced regualar, 96K now and was told by prev owner about 270 Bhp but suspect clutch is on the way at present as riding high and car not as grunty as it was prev....

Let the on slaught begin

- really apprecaite peoples experience.

Rgs

Bobby
Old 26 September 2012, 11:26 AM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Looks tidy enough. A decent brake setup is a must if you're doing track days. Sounds like you're keeping level headed and choosing the right mods first. If you're interested, I have a vf35 turbo available, also pink/red sti suspension(by you'll need to check fitment)

Keep us updated with your progress, and get some pics up of her clean!

Rich.
Old 26 September 2012, 11:36 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redwards
Looks tidy enough. A decent brake setup is a must if you're doing track days. Sounds like you're keeping level headed and choosing the right mods first. If you're interested, I have a vf35 turbo available, also pink/red sti suspension(by you'll need to check fitment)

Keep us updated with your progress, and get some pics up of her clean!

Rich.
I had the STi Reds and Eibach's on my Bugeye Wagon, bloody fab. The only thing you need to change are the rear top mounts.

Mine was running 276bhp with a remap, uprated fuel pump, STi top mount and a decat down pipe with a WR Sport exhaust system. I had BREMBO's to help stop it but it was near the limit on the clutch and Gearbox.

I'll get some pictures up later.
Old 26 September 2012, 12:55 PM
Bobby_RStevens
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Hi guys,

Present Turbo is standard as far s I know which i believe would be a TD04?

Is it straight forward enough for VF35 then? what condition is this one ? I need to confirm the present ECU etc before I think about remapping etc I think. I want to look at brakes and clutch first I think but how much is the VF35 gonna cost me?

Do you guys do all your own work on your cars? Used Dave Coe before and will hopefully be contacting him for a Clutch replacement soon. Think that a track day is available at LLandow next month, might use that as basis to work from for other things?

What condition is the Sti setup, was thinking along the Coilovers route as gives me what I will need going forward... I think

Rgs

Bobby
Old 26 September 2012, 01:16 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

nice looking wagon! out of interest what made you go for a wagon? Is it also a dog / child carrier? (& hence why your not going down the strip out route?)
Old 26 September 2012, 01:33 PM
Bobby_RStevens
Scooby Regular

Default Wagon

Hey....

Mmmm if I am honest, have always loved estates, 3 kids and boxer so yes, does come in helpful... Imp no where near the space of my GT-B's but lucky to have the bus as well...

have always loved the wagon shape on the imp, don't think much difference in size/weight if anything between saloon/estate anyway but could be wrong.

Have decided 100% want to start enjoying track time etc so instead of selling up and going for something like a 205 thought, what the hell... I know the imp will break the golden 1Ton limit for a good track, will eat fuel, tyres and need servicing more but can always look at replacement in the future - just love these cars so much.. If I get down the road far enough and have to start thinking about cages etc then I may have to re-evaluate the sititaion.

Would hope to still be able to pop out for a nice Sunday drive in the car but focus would be track.... Noticed I have a lightweight bonnect i think as well, it feels so light... or is that normal?

Rgs

Bobby
Old 26 September 2012, 09:48 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bobby_RStevens
Hi guys,

Present Turbo is standard as far s I know which i believe would be a TD04?

Is it straight forward enough for VF35 then? what condition is this one ? I need to confirm the present ECU etc before I think about remapping etc I think. I want to look at brakes and clutch first I think but how much is the VF35 gonna cost me?

Do you guys do all your own work on your cars? Used Dave Coe before and will hopefully be contacting him for a Clutch replacement soon. Think that a track day is available at LLandow next month, might use that as basis to work from for other things?

What condition is the Sti setup, was thinking along the Coilovers route as gives me what I will need going forward... I think

Rgs

Bobby
Turbo is in good condition, no play in the shaft, no smoke on startup. Looking for £300 for that one. I've only taken off the front struts at the moment, they look good, no leaks, etc.
VF35 is a common upgrade so there'll be plenty of how-to's on here, you will need a remap once fitted though.

Alot of the guys work on their own cars, some of us work on other peoples cars as well.
Old 26 September 2012, 10:16 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

A very nice look bug estate and in a pretty unusual colour it looks almost like British Racing Green.

Just a quick spoiler (sorry it had to be me) but the suspension struts off of the Blobeye STi that redwards has won't fit your car as they are off a later car with the larger PCD size, I think they would need a lot of work to make them fit (as in swopping the hubs and a lot more).
Old 28 September 2012, 01:11 PM
Bobby_RStevens
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info on the strut's and sorry, not looking for anymore work than need be...

What Aftermarket setup would be best for track use then? I don't mind putting my hand in my pocket for this as GOOD suspension makes a great track car... I am not a "modder" so need to know what I am looking for, prob better to go new on suspension as well as need to be confident in it going forward.

The Turbo upgrade does sound like something I would be interested in, is this a straight swap for the present bugeye Turbo?

Rgs

Bobby
Old 19 May 2013, 07:59 PM
Bobby_RStevens
Scooby Regular

Default Have to sell

To all,

Appologies if I am bypassing the systems in place to protect Scoobynet but I do not have enough permissions to post in the for sale section.

Due to very recent loss of my storage I have to sell the old girl as simply have no where to keep it.

Can somebody please post the details in the for sale section or pass onto anyone that may be after a Wagon in the South Wales area....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3309260318...84.m1555.l2649

Thanks a million

Email is Bobby_Rstevens@Hotmail.com