Notices

Sad news Locally 😞

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2013, 10:32 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad news Locally 😞

Im sure some of you are aware of the very sad loss of two men up on the beacons on saturday whilst undergoing training i believe for SAS selection. A third person according to reports is in hosptial recieveing treatment.

Im quite a regular up and about Pen-y-Fan and the surrounding beacons, and am well aware of the respect that
Is needed when walking these mountains, a slight change in weather can cause problems in a very short space of time. I can vouch (although i wasnt up there saturday- i was merely clearing my van/garage) how hot it was, and how difficult such a simple task became, let alone what those very unfortunate men suffered in temporatures of circa 33 degrees.

Reports also suggest that a further two deaths occurred on saturday, in the Cantref resevoir and one of the Pontsicill resevoiurs, such sad sad news to here so close to home.

My thoughts are with the families md all concerned, RIP.
The news unforunately has come up in conversation with everyone i have seen today, for all the wrong reasons.

God speed men.

Last edited by The Sheep Worrier; 15 July 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 16 July 2013, 12:53 AM
jap_master
Scooby Regular

+1 such bad news

RIP
Old 16 July 2013, 11:25 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie Hawks
Im sure some of you are aware of the very sad loss of two men up on the beacons on saturday whilst undergoing training i believe for SAS selection. A third person according to reports is in hosptial recieveing treatment.

Im quite a regular up and about Pen-y-Fan and the surrounding beacons, and am well aware of the respect that
Is needed when walking these mountains, a slight change in weather can cause problems in a very short space of time. I can vouch (although i wasnt up there saturday- i was merely clearing my van/garage) how hot it was, and how difficult such a simple task became, let alone what those very unfortunate men suffered in temporatures of circa 33 degrees.

Reports also suggest that a further two deaths occurred on saturday, in the Cantref resevoir and one of the Pontsicill resevoiurs, such sad sad news to here so close to home.

My thoughts are with the families md all concerned, RIP.
The news unforunately has come up in conversation with everyone i have seen today, for all the wrong reasons.

God speed men.
A sad day indeed and every service life lost is a tragedy. Soldiers are currently operating in temperatures in excess of 50 C in Afghanistan and carrying more kit and equipment. But it saddens me that people where in a position to help and did not.

David Capstick told Channel 4 News he was walking in the Brecon Beacons on the weekend when he was passed by a string of soldiers moving in the opposite direction at five or 10-minute intervals.

"We then came across two soldiers who had clearly broken that intended mode of operation and were proceeding slowly together, and one of the soldiers made a compassionate plea for some drinking water for his colleague," he said. He was upset. The other soldier was trying to make the best of the situation and asked if we could spare any water for his colleague, not for himself”

He said the second soldier "did seem to be in distress".

"He was upset. The other soldier was trying to make the best of the situation and asked if we could spare any water for his colleague, not for himself.

When the hikers told them their own supplies were limited, the soldiers said they would look for water in a stream marked on their map. ‘It must have taken quite a lot for the soldier to ask some civilian hikers for help,’ added Mr Capstick.

‘Well, we know from our own experience that those streams were no more than a line of arid rocks. There was no water to be had from them.’

It may have been their first tab around the Beacons and did not know the stream was dry. So, why didn't Mr F**king Capstick tell the soldiers FFS!!!!!!!
Old 16 July 2013, 11:54 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not really sure what to say on this one other than it is a very tragic event and my thoughts are with the families of the men involved.
Old 16 July 2013, 08:47 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

I heard this news on Sunday it was awfull and to hear that someone could of helps is even worse but having the thought that you could of helped someone who was willing to give up there life's to fight for our country and our freedom must be a huge burden. Rip and thoughts go out to all family's heat exhaustion must be an awfull thing to experience.