Notices

Help with buy a car

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2013, 03:09 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with buy a car

Hi guys,Chris my son has been looking at a turbo 2000 ppp currently at a dealers in Barry ,the car is Green Reg. no V851 DGH it appears to drive and pull well for a car with 150000 on the clock doesn,t seem to have any issues other than a little rust on one rear wheel arch.That to me is the worrying thing as Ive followed the threads SWS when a number of you guys have restored you cars. Any help would be appreciated and if anybody knows the car even better, Thanks in anticipation
Old 15 December 2013, 03:36 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

to remove the rust and not for it to come back it will need to be cut out and new metal put in place or it would just keep coming back unless your ok with a quick fix for it to last a little while but it will come back at some point , other thing to think about other than engine is moving parts like wheel bearings and bushes and so on. if it has a good service history and has been looked after then engines can still be good for thousands of miles more but standard with no modz as you would be asking for trouble really,

just check the usual like any oil leaks ,no smoke on start up , check water/oil dip stick to check what oil is like and take a look underside to see what the bushes etc are like but if it feels and drives ok then thats a good thing

the impreza is a good car when looked after and if its not modified engine wise and has a good service history

check old MOT cert to see if there was any advisory notes as this can give you a heads up on parts or problems that might need doing

Last edited by The Stitcher; 15 December 2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add text
Old 15 December 2013, 04:59 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replying,it seems to drive really well but the rust worries me a little seen some horrors on snet. I guess at the end of the day its an old car so you,ve got to expect a few issues but I,m guessing that bodywork can be harder to repair than an engine and just as costly.The scenario,good body poor engine,good engine poor body not sure which I,d spend the money on.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:37 AM
dave_t
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andyleonard55
Thanks for replying,it seems to drive really well but the rust worries me a little seen some horrors on snet. I guess at the end of the day its an old car so you,ve got to expect a few issues but I,m guessing that bodywork can be harder to repair than an engine and just as costly.The scenario,good body poor engine,good engine poor body not sure which I,d spend the money on.
Hi there new rear arch & paint would probably come in much cheaper than an engine?
In this instance you may be better off disclosing the asking price as that is the key factor on whether its a good buy. ie if its cheap with a few issues it may be worth a punt, if its expensive with issues you might be guided towards a better car.
The boys on here always have their noses to the ground and will keep an eye out or point you at what they see as good/right priced car.
Old 16 December 2013, 12:06 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Andy,

The Subaru design department made sure they built in a crud and mositure trap on the rear areas of an Impreza.

A proper job on the arches, dependant on condition can break 4 fiqures easily. The other issue connected to the arches are the turrets of the suspension on the rear.

Hopefully it's not bad. But worst case scenario is :-

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-and-rust.html

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f138/t171...st-repair.html
Old 16 December 2013, 05:16 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Hi dave thanks for replying the dealer wanted £1600 for the car I don't know if that's good or bad given the mileage and the rusty arch.

Thanks Ian that was exactly what worried me not the rust I could see but the rust I could not and given the price of the car Chris could end up spending twice what he payed for the car on chasing rot.

Thanks guys itslooking like we,ll leave it alone
Old 16 December 2013, 06:55 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Reading your last post Andy I think your wise to leave it there. Better off spending a little more for something better.
Old 16 December 2013, 07:03 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't entertain that bud. The rear arch issue is a massive issue. I've seen loads of "proper" repairs that reappeared as the issue was deep within the inner skin (clearly not a proper repair) There must be plenty on the market at 1600, it's not far off bugeye territory that don't suffer the same rear arch rot.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 16 December 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 16 December 2013, 07:40 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rob the dealer seemed to keen to start up the engine and concentrate on the lovely noise it made not knowing that my son had a dad that owns an Impreza and spends too much time on Snet.
This is what Scooby net is quite often overlook for free friendly advice and guidance to relative newbees like myself. Cheers all sales off.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:03 PM
bry with a y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andyleonard55
Thanks Rob the dealer seemed to keen to start up the engine and concentrate on the lovely noise it made not knowing that my son had a dad that owns an Impreza and spends too much time on Snet.
This is what Scooby net is quite often overlook for free friendly advice and guidance to relative newbees like myself. Cheers all sales off.
Get your lad a marmite car