Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Intercooler water spray nozzles

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2003, 03:10 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody got some at a reasonable price? Either STi or Prodrive ones, anything that sprays the right pattern (i.e. a fine mist).

Just being a cheapskate really but the going rate of £25 is a bit OTT for a few tiny bits of plastic IMO!
Old 24 June 2003, 03:26 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

There's got to be something designed to do this job...
Even if it's sold in B&Q as a plant sprayer or is used to make biscuits!!

I'll keep looking out for something suitable, as IC spray is on my list of "things to do for the summer" (I'm a cheapskate too!)

If you don't mind me asking, where were you going to fit the jets, and what control aye you planning? - I was going to use a cheap microcontroller and a couple of thermistors (or something ) to measure charge temps
Old 24 June 2003, 03:34 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

No control at the moment other than the button on my dash that says "I/C Water Spray"

I've already fitted it (proper switch next to the fogs) and the wiring is in place, and I've got a washer bottle on the way from a UK saloon with headlight washers so I can use that for the spray - my car only has the single outlet for the windscreen washers and has ABS so no room to add a second bottle.

I may add charge-temp based control sometime, I have the diag box that AndrewC designed and I think he has plans to add a charge temp sensor to that so I'm sure it would be easy enough to add an output for the spray aswell.
Old 24 June 2003, 03:36 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, will be fitting the jets on the metal tray thing under the scoop, there are a pair of indents there which are obviously designed for spray jets although I'm not sure if all models have them there. Can take a pic if you like.
Old 24 June 2003, 03:53 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that I can easily look under the bonnet at the shield bit...

I can't use AndrewC's box of tricks, so I'm forced into making my own arrangements there. (I have a MY96, so it won't work... I do have a plan though!)

As for bottle space, I was looking at the same problem. I'm hoping that I can find a small (ish) bottle to fit near the alarm bracket. Believe it or not, the Ford sierra washer bottle looks about right., if a little small. I want a separate bottle so I can play with adding alcohol to the mix

I have ABS, but not aircon, so I may have a bit more space to play with on the left hand side of the car.
Old 24 June 2003, 03:59 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

an interesting gardening site

Could be what we're looking for!
Old 24 June 2003, 04:38 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

http://www.mistcooling.com/nozzleb_quot.htm

Better spray nozzles. They come in packs of 10, so if they are suitable, we could do with finding a couple of other people.

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2003, 07:25 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Looks like a plan... take it you're looking at the B 37 type?

What pressure do these windscreen and headlight washer pumps operate? Those nozzles need minimum 40psi to operate, not got a clue if a standard pump will be enough.
Old 24 June 2003, 09:27 PM
ryk
Scooby Regular

scooby mania sti spray jets 10 quid each
Old 24 June 2003, 10:04 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I wondered about the M2 or the MW5...
I'd need to draw a diagram and work out the spray angle needed...

Might be simpler to go for the Scoobymania ones...

Which ever type we go for, there will have to be a high pressure pump. (It's how the fine spray works) I think we would be just about OK with a washer pump, but I'd have to ask a few questions of some suppliers.

BTW - where did you get your switch?
Old 24 June 2003, 10:15 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I know the pump needs to be high pressure, I believe the headlight washer one is much higher than the normal windscreen washers cos it only squirts for about 0.5sec per press and needs pressure to clean the lights since there's no wiper. Soon find out once I get the bottle + pump.

Got the switch from Grade A or somewhere like that, I was buying a load of other stuff at the time so decided to get one.

I know that a few suppliers sell the nozzles I just feel they're way overpriced at £9-10 each. By the time you add on VAT and post they're £25+ which is pretty absurd for what they are IMO. Might end up having to bite the bullet though but it just feels like we're being taken for mugs because they have an aura of "performance equipment" attached
Old 24 June 2003, 10:24 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Looks like it's going to be of the order £25 + shipping to get 10 spray nozzles.

Even if the shipping is another £25, it's still only £5 per nozzle!
I might just make some enquiries about getting some very shortly...

I'd prefer metal ones to plastic - even though they weigh a bit more...
Old 24 June 2003, 10:27 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I know how you feel about the "performance equipment" thing. It drives me mad too. I had the same problems when I used to build model boats. Everything had a silly mark up because it had a different label on.
Old 24 June 2003, 11:27 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

OK give me a shout and let me know how you get on, I'll most likely be interested in a set if there's a decent spray off them.

Any idea of what the standard headlight washer pump pressure is?
Old 25 June 2003, 12:05 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Not yet - I've posted a Q in general technical. We'll see what happens next...

I've been banned from modding for a while, so I hope I can sneak this one through as a "bargain group buy"
Old 25 June 2003, 12:03 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm half way through this job, fitting a system to a Forester.
I got hold of som STi genuine items but I still bouhgt a packet of irrigation nozzles.
As there is five in the pack your welcome to have a couple FOC and see what they can do. The spray pattern is 90 degs and looks about the same of STi items.
The nozzles have been placed where they go on an STi. the only problem is that they foul the lip of the bonnet scoop so careful cutting has been made. I don't know if the Impreza has cut outs or a different shape.
I am triggering the spray via an SPA boost guage. The high level boost alarm (probably going to be 9psi but is adjustable) will open a relay to allow the trigger. There is also a switch to cut off the whole system.
The water reservoir is off a metro as it fits perfectly in a rear storage compartment in a Forester.

Nick
1997 Forester S/tb

Nick
Old 25 June 2003, 01:15 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Nick,

Do they produce a fine mist like the STi nozzles? This is the main requirement IMO cos the water spray is most effective by drawing heat away through evaporation, which requires the water to be misted to allow easy evaporation.

Are they sourced in the UK? Could be of interest to others as well who don't wanna pay £25+ for 2 small pieces of plastic with STi stamped on
Old 25 June 2003, 01:20 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Maybe fertilizer sprayer nozzles would work? I believe they create a fine mist.

Haven't heard back from the US lot yet.
Old 25 June 2003, 02:00 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I'll rig one up today and see what it looks like.
They came from a local garden centre and were about £4-00 for five nozzles. Thick they were "Gardena"?
The only problem would be how to mount them. They would need mounting in some sort of frame as the plastic threads look pretty fragile to be used directly into the scoop.
I've seen another rig that has the nozzles mounted around the intercooler itself. They look too close and wouldn't mix with the air too well.

Edited to say I have just tried the nozzles. Pretty poor spray until over 1 bar feed. The website for Gardena says that the irrigation system should be at 1.5 bar for a fine mist, so I guess a decent pump is needed.

Nick

[Edited by Butty - 6/25/2003 2:11:28 PM]
Old 25 June 2003, 02:14 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

The ones I'm looking at start to be at their best at 3 to 4 bar.

Apparently, pressure is everything when it comes to making fine mist. Any ideas what pressure a headlamp washer pump will make?
Old 25 June 2003, 03:06 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Looks like the shipping may kill the ones I found. They'll be £6.80 each including shipping... (Not bad for a $4 part )

I doubt that the price of shipping would change much for a larger order, so it's still possible.

They claim to have supplied nozzles for an Australian motorsports team so I guess they'll be fit for purpose.
Old 25 June 2003, 05:29 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Butty if you have a few spare nozzles I could give them a shot with my headlight washer pump - would have thought it would be over a bar pressure cos it's a fair bit higher than the standard windscreen pump.

Do they connect to a standard size washer pipe?

I'm off to get a pic of the tray thing under my scoop so you can see the indents for the nozzles. I'd have to drill them anyway so plastic threads might be OK - could just drill the hole slightly bigger and glue the nozzles in place.
Old 25 June 2003, 06:02 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Here's a photo of my I/C and the undertray for the scoop showing the two indents for spray nozzles circled in red. They both face slightly inwards as well so it's obvious that's what they're there for.

Old 25 June 2003, 10:55 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Paul,
I've looked at the nozzles again. If you can find drill a hole about 4mm and find some lock nuts then they may stay in place.
Send me your address to my profile and I'll pop a couple in the post.
Those two "flatted" points are where I have drilled as per the STi layout. The trouble I am getting is that the STi nozzles stand proud on the other side of that plate and are touching the scoop mouth. I have had to trim the scoop to fit.
I guess it is something to do with having a Forester - but I thought the scoop was the same as a pre 1996 Impreza?

Nick
Old 26 June 2003, 01:13 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

OK cheers mate will drop you my addy just now.

If your Forester has that undertray with a MY96 Impreza type scoop then it may explain the problem - the scoop is smaller and more rounded than the one on my car fitted to MY97> Imprezas. I'm pretty sure the undertray on <MY96 Imprezas was different, possibly not having the indents for spray nozzles.

Here is an old picture of dhorwich's <MY96 undertray showing where he mounted spray nozzles - notice the lack of indents and also the angled hole for the slanty intercooler.

Will let you know how I get on with fitting, and also how it performs with the headlight washer pump.
Old 27 June 2003, 04:52 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

That's exactly the combination I have.
I suppose Subaru never thought that anyone would do such a thing to a Forester.
I have cut small semi circles out of the scoop and the bodge isn't too obvious.
I see the post about 3bar pumps. Don't suppose you know what amps they pull? I am about to wire my rig up with a washer pump and don't want to undersize the wiring if I have to move up to a higher pressure?

Nick
Old 27 June 2003, 05:17 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Strange - only reason I can think is that they fitted the later spec tray so it's the right shape for the phase 1.5 engine's intercooler, but didn't want the bigger scoop on the Forester. They probably decided it didn't need the bigger scoop cos boost and therefore charge temps are lower.

I have no idea what current the pumps run, the OE headlight washer wiring doesn't look particularly substantial though so I'd imagine it's only a few amps. It's significantly bigger than the windscreen washer pump so should produce decent pressure.
Old 28 June 2003, 12:31 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

The headlight washer pump you refer to only sprays for about half a second.

Am I correct in saying that the proper IC spray is a continuous 5 seconds or so.... Ice cold! brrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 29 June 2003, 06:55 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Just rigged the nozzles up for a quick test run and there seems to be plenty of water squirted from the headlight pump even though it only runs for 0.5 sec, and a second press of the button will give another quick squirt. Quite a wide spread of water also, the nozzles I got from Nick seem to be quite good for the job in hand, I've just glued them into place on the undertray so once the glue sets I can give them a proper test and fine-tune the angle etc.

No probs with fouling the scoop either, so MY97> Imprezas should be fine with these nozzles, earlier models with the smaller scoop might need to position them differently.

Many thanks to Nick for supplying me with the nozzles to try, seems to be a cost-effective alternative to the £25 STi ones, will report back later (probably tomorrow) once I get a chance to angle them properly onto the intercooler and let you know how good coverage and misting is.
Old 29 June 2003, 06:58 PM
scoobydevil1
Scooby Regular

hi ya guys i have did a system for a customer to day used a screen washer bottle mounted in the boot , the sprays were off a pressure washer and we used a pressure switch to operate the pump so when you have boost you have a fine mist and when the turbo cuts out the spray stopps cost about £60 i think .hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Intercooler water spray nozzles