Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

RB5 in Flackwell Heath around 8:30am

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2001, 09:09 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I was in the green wagon a couple of cars ahead stuck in the traffic this morning around 8:30ish....

[This message has been edited by Scott W (edited 08 October 2001).]
Old 09 October 2001, 12:20 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Skelbo

I can't believe that you're having to go to a diesel Vectra You'll be certainly be going a bit slower down Sheepridge from now on!

Yeah mine is an X reg, and I think it's superb! So far I've not done a lot else apart from the exhaust (full Scoobysport ), just changed the headlights for the Morrettes, and got the Cibie driving lights fitted.

Oh, and I've also had the infamous pimp tint done as well

So how long have you had the RB for then? Is it not possible to keep it for the company car?

[This message has been edited by Scott W (edited 09 October 2001).]
Old 09 October 2001, 11:18 AM
SKELBO
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Scott,

Hi, yes that was me. I saw you and wound my window down to listen to your growl. Very sweet.

Unfortunately I'll only have the RB for a few more weeks. A couple of yrs of sensible company car driving beckons. Cant believe that 4 weeks from now I'll be rocking up Sheepridge in a diesel Vectra. What am I doing? Still, I'll be back in a Scooby in a couple of yrs, this time bigger and even better I hope.

How are you finding yours? Was yours an X-reg? What have you done to it apart from the exhaust?
Old 09 October 2001, 01:05 PM
SKELBO
Scooby Newbie

Scott,

I know, I know. I am uterly ashamed of myself, but needs must. The Scooby is currently funded by company car money, but with my mileage about to increase it is just not cost effective to put the miles on the RB5. So, I'll take the cheap option for a while, tuck away plenty of deposit money and then get another. Also, it will give me the chance to go rallying again as the nice car and new flat all put a stop to that.

I've had the RB since Jan 2000, haven't touched it at all with mods, just poured the fuel in and sent it to Lancasters every 6 mths.

Glad to hear that yours has lived up to expectations. Have you tried a new model yet just for a laugh? I had a quick go and it seems fair enough. I've also recently had a go in an Evo 7. What a car! It would seriously blow the RB into the weeds, it just sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and is so smooth thru the revs. It's worth a trip to SGT in Taplow, just for the fun of it. Of course rolling up in the Scooby makes us look like serious punters, which is why I've been cramming them in recently before the Vectra comes along!! I'd never buy one tho, I'm a Scooby man (despite my flirtation with Vauxhall!)

Cheers,
Skelbo
Old 09 October 2001, 02:20 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

I haven't tried any new models yet, because I have this habit of buying something if I like it , and therefore if I went to try an Evo 7 I would probably want to put a deposit down there and then

I've covered nearly 26k miles in my car this year and it still provides me with nearly the same level of enjoyment as when I first bought it. Therefore, I'm quite happy to stick with it for another couple of years or so. Well, until the STI wagon comes out anyway! Although, I wouldn't mind spending just a bit more money on it to improve the brakes, and have the ECU remapped!

You mentioned that you send it to Lancasters, does this mean you live near there?
Old 09 October 2001, 06:53 PM
SKELBO
Scooby Newbie

No, I'm in Marlow, but I got it from Lancasters, so I give them the business. At the time I got the car, the RB6 was as rare as rocking horse ****, but they had a 9 mth old car with 3.5k on the clock, so being young and foolish I just had to go for it. I worked for 6 yrs to be in a position to get one, so it was a forgone conclusion really. I cant help thinking that these Subaru sales guys have got it easy! Your impulse buyig sounds familiar, my brother wont test the Evo for the same reason. No will power. Do you need the boot space of the Wagon for your work?
Old 09 October 2001, 08:41 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

True oh king - must be hard being a scooby saleman - 18 months ago - I just went in - drove it - bought it - didnt quibble - lower lip still wobbling from test drive !

What was more suprising was wife didnt argue !

T.
Old 10 October 2001, 09:03 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Skelbo,

The reason I chose the 5dr was because the contract will be up in 2 years time from now and I plan on buying the car for my soon to be wife, as it can be used for any family we decide to have in the future.

This then means that in 2 years time I can then go out and buy a 4dr, like the Evo 9 (?) or latest and greatest Subaru, without having to worry whether or not I can get the kids bits and pieces in it!

As for needing the boot space for work, I sell software that fits nicely on a CD, so I guess not!!!

Are you actually changing jobs/company if you are required to do a lot more mileage?

I couldn't agree more with both of you on how easy it must be for a Subaru Salesman. I'd been after a Scooby for 7 or so years, so once I was in a position to take one for a test drive, that was it, I <B> had </B> to sign on the dotted line.

The salesman didn't have to try to close me in anyway whatsoever, as I was biting his hand to off to get the paperwork signed, and to get a collection date from him!

I must be in the wrong industry as I have to work for a living, whereas it seems being a Subaru salesman is a piece of cake!
Old 11 October 2001, 07:58 PM
SKELBO
Scooby Newbie

Scott,

No I'm not changing companies, just hitting the road in January in a sales job. Current mileage is running at about 20k per yr, but its probably going to hit 35-40k next year. What with 22-24 mpg and depreciation its just not worth the cost. I'll only end up with a car worth nothing in 12-18mths time. All things (financially) considered I shall just be sensible for a while. As previously mentioned, I'll hopefully get my kicks from rallying again. I am aiming to hire a Scooby or an Evo for a couple of events next year. My old team mate (Steve Head) won the Malcolm Wilson Rally last weekend in an Evo hired from a company called ADR and I will probably go to them. I know the guys already, and they build a damn good car.

By the way, when I went to buy my RB5, I didn't even drive it until I collected it. I hadn't even been a passenger in a road going Scooby up until that point, only rally cars. At least I got £500 off the price, but apart from that it was the world's easiest sale.